User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    you can never cut drug consumption to 0, but law enforcement definitely helps people to stop consuming and distributing drugs.
    Do you have anything to back up this statement? I ask because I think it's simply untrue...unless you're talking about societies like North Korea or Saudi Arabia.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

So. thus far, the anti-drug arguments I've heard have included, "I don't like them."

Does anyone care to offer a justification for translating that into "Everyone should be forcibly disallowed from using them"?

I'm afraid I don't buy the "less productive society" argument, on the grounds that it has virtually no limits on the number of civil liberties it would restrict when takes to its logical ends.

At some point you have to accept the right of other adults to choose what to do with their own bodies.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISTx

My thoughts:

Marijuana should be legalized but regulated. The OP is right, it doesn't make sense for alcohol, a more destructive, mind altering and just overall more damaging substance (proven by statistics) to be free game while M-J is punishable by hefty fines and jail time for the possession and distribution of.

In regards to other stronger and more crude substances: I can't see positive justification for throwing the restrictions to the wind. To me, in our society, that would be immoral. It's poison to the user and it's poison to those living in areas of drug trafficking. The substances are dangerous, yet euphoric equaling a magnetism to death and there's little to no chance of stopping someone who has sunken to the depths of addiction. How can we be ok with promoting that by tolerating it? Do you propose we regulate and tax it? So then are we going to put our tax dollars to helping those that want to break free? That would only be moreal, eh? -- Let's tax Heroin so we can help John Doe break his addiction. Is that not backwards?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

The war on drugs is STUPID !!!
    In California, less than an oz. of pot is a misdemenor and borderline legal. BUT only if used responsibly.
    It is way less harmful than alcohol. People that smoke weed are usually nice and in-control. Jolly good company too! I am not a pot-smoker only because it doesn't agree with me.
    I feel that as a non-smoker my opinions of pot-smokers are objective.
    I have never known a person who became lazy and non productive because of weed. Usually smokers are cheerfull and enjoy work and play both. I rather envy them.
    As for other drugs- it is a waste of time and money to have a war on drugs. Once it is discoverd that a person is "self medicating" with street drugs they should be put on maintanance doses of rx. equivelants and given one on one sessions with a caring therapist with a bus picking them up and taking them home afterwards. Not stigmatized, locked up, or sent to meetings.
    The problem of "methlabs" is a serious one- far away from potential victims.there should be a prison just for meth cooks who don't want to quit cooking. If hardened violent offenders from all over the USA would like to go live at Tweeker-Prison it would be an interesting experament. No guards. Food and chemicals dropped by helicoper. It would make a great reality show.
    More money should be spent on entertaining children and teens. Theater, Museums, Festivals, Sporting Events. group discussions. And all transporation made easy and free.
    Young people take harmful street drugs because they are looking for an experience to lose themselves in! They are bored. School can be awful if a kid doesn't like it.
    The war has never worked, making the younger gereration happier will prevent such a strong need look for escape.
    INtP...RCUEI primary I...5w4...INTp... ILI...The Artist Formerly Known As Car!ssa

MBTI
    INTP

"Lets learn a little bit about history, I mean, as long as were doomed in repeating it."

Funny
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think they should be legal...

That way, all the people reckless enough to use them will ruin their lives and expose their own nature. They should be allowed to do so, since they're not the kind of people whose existence would ever be relevant or meaningful anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Carissa View Post
    I have never known a person who became lazy and non productive because of weed. Usually smokers are cheerfull and enjoy work and play both. I rather envy them.
    Here we have found that weed precipitates schizophrenia in some individuals.

This is a horror result for them and their families.

So Health and Safety would make it difficult to legalise weed here.

However we do have an official policy of Harm Minimisation that seeks to reduce the harm done to users but at the same time to prosecute the dealers.

The phrase, "War on drugs", does seem to be based on moralism rather than evidence. And the result seems to be turning some third world countries into narco-States.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Here we have found that weed precipitates schizophrenia in some individuals.
    Really? Are there any studies that we might be able to read to verify this claim? I'm not challenging you personally, I'm just curious about what the causal mechanism is. Also, how did the researchers establish that it was weed that precipitated the schizophrenia, rather than a case of people who were already schizophrenic using weed? In most (weedless) cases, the symptoms of schizophrenia don't surface until the mid-twenties or so, which is after the age when most weed users have begun smoking. It seems that that might make it a little tough to figure out which came first in any real sense.

I know that marijuana has been used medically to treat a wide array of medical disorders, from glaucoma to the wasting associated with AIDS. Actually, just about all of the substances that have been discussed here have (or had) legitimate medical applications. Cocaine was a topical anesthetic, heroin a pain-killer, and amphetamines are still being used to treat ADD. The real trouble for this country started when the government started lying to the public about the dangers of drugs and policing morality. Adults should be able to do whatever the hell they want to their bodies in the privacy of their own homes. The government's only role in this matter should be to keep things as safe as possible by ensuring access to education and mandating ingredient lists. If you can drink a fifth a jack without Uncle Sam interfering, you sure as hell should have the right to smoke a bowl.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Drugs fucked up people's brains so no. they should not bre legalized.
    Drug production in the golden triangle hasbeen sharply reduced because of law enforcement. And drugs is not alcahol.

you can never cut drug consumption to 0, but law enforcement definitely helps people to stop consuming and distributing drugs.
    dude, if you think alcohol isn't a drug, you have zero friggin' clue my friend

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was going to make a point, and then I saw someone's response already set me up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The problem with your statement is that the War on Drugs doesn't actually prevent drug use/abuse. If anything, it promotes abuse (over use) because it demonizes users, causing more extreme behavior.

Legalization is worth it for the reduction in violence, alone. Hell, Mexico might even get its country back.
    Notice I never mentioned the war on drugs? All of you need to stop directly associating pro-active drug control with the current war on drugs. Someone could favor the former and be against the latter. To generalize otherwise is throwing the baby out with the bath water. There might be effective preventetive iniatiatives that, presumably, would work rather differently than the methods utilized in the war on drugs. I'm going to tell you right now that I don't yet know what methods those would be. But I really doubt this war on drugs is handling it the only way it can be handled, and it's obviously not handling it the best way. I assume the government has hardly contacted one sociologist while forming these plans.
    Go to sleep, iguana.