First 2345614 Last

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't mind being brainwashed. We could all use a good brainwashing from time to time. It gets pretty nasty in there.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    By those standards, we shouldn't have ANY drugs legal outside of perscription to prevent dumbasses.
    Some people are always going to be dumbasses. Might as well stop wasting time and money making laws to try to prevent them from being dumbasses.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    Some people are always going to be dumbasses. Might as well stop wasting time and money making laws to try to prevent them from being dumbasses.
    I agree entirely. The standards of prevention should be for things that truly NEED preventing. Just because you make abortions illegal it won't stop abortions. So you might as well have laws for safety to be proactive in a way that people will settle for. It's the same with drugs. Proactivity should be in the form of forcing responsibility, harsh consequences for not being so.. not proactivity in preventing a decision people are going to make regardless.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Nothing should be illegal. Ever.
    X INFINITY

But...... one thing at a time

With that being said, the point of laws in this country was supposed to be for keeping people from infringing on others' rights. It is not to keep people from hurting themselves.

As extremely libertarian-slanted this seems, this was the original intention, and based on this I oppose the war on drugs completely.

Banned

There are no sane reasons to legally ban the sale and distribution of drugs. Drug addicts will use drugs regardless of their legal status. Maintaining current drug laws only serves to support organized crime. We have the temperance movement to thank for the development of organized crime and current drug laws to ensure it's persistence.

I am not user, I don't have the patience for it, but I strongly support any legislation that seeks to repeal drug laws. There are a number of economic, social, and health considerations that motivate my position. Among these are:

1) The fact that the government could make a lot of money. That money represents revenue that could be filtered into education and health programs.

2) The stigmatization that accompanies drug use is absurd in a country that promotes the social acceptance of alcohol use. People that really do have problems with drug addiction are often unable to ask for help because of the social consequences.

3) Legalization will mean that individuals will know what they're buying/smoking/using because the FDA will be able to openly monitor these things. Additionally, drug cartels will be out of business so violent crime associated with the drug trade will be eliminated.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    First person that makes a functionalist argument for why law exists gets a cookie.*

*Actual cookie may or may not be given to qualified entries.
    They're so scared people like you can have a house where you jerk off and read Time magazine 'til you're too old to while you raise a family of scared pedestrians who hide behind these imaginary walls that even the brave don't usually cross for fear of the resulting shitstorm, and so you and the rest of the public can continue on with your self-acclaimed pseudo-noble efficient, preservative drone work.

For the most part, laws maximize boredom. There's a functionalist concept for ya.

And you can keep the cookie. I don't like sweet things.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Have you ever heard the expression "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?. A strictly cure based policy, I suspect, would require you to sure up money from elsewhere.
    You ever heard the expression, "learn from other peoples' mistakes?"
    Try compounding that with your prevention theory.

Not that it matters.

In my opinion, those who play with addictive drugs shouldn't be helped.
    Fuck 'em.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    And you can keep the cookie. I don't like sweet things.
    (Good thing. There's probably a law against those unhealthy cookies coming to a city near you anyway.)
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Have you ever heard the expression "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?. A strictly cure based policy, I suspect, would require you to sure up money from elsewhere.
    The problem with your statement is that the War on Drugs doesn't actually prevent drug use/abuse. If anything, it promotes abuse (over use) because it demonizes users, causing more extreme behavior.

Legalization is worth it for the reduction in violence, alone. Hell, Mexico might even get its country back.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Drugs fucked up people's brains so no. they should not bre legalized.
    Drug production in the golden triangle hasbeen sharply reduced because of law enforcement. And drugs is not alcahol.

you can never cut drug consumption to 0, but law enforcement definitely helps people to stop consuming and distributing drugs.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.