User Tag List

First 293738394041 Last

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What you do not get is that there is a big difference between something being WRONG and making it ILLEGAL. Making victimless crimes illegal makes them far worse for society than letting them stay legal. Things don't have to be illegal for them to be wrong, neither does something being illegal make it wrong. Your whole premise is that most people in our country (including your) can't tell if something is bad or not unless the government says so.
    Alcoholism is legal yet it does untold damage to whole families.

So alcoholism is not victimless.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Alcoholism is legal yet it does untold damage to whole families.

So alcoholism is not victimless.
    Alcohol related DUI (with BAC of 0.8 percent or higher) deaths constituted 31.7 percent of the 41,059 total traffic fatalities in 2007. That's not even taking into consideration the role of alcohol in violence and domestic abuse.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Alcohol related DUI (with BAC of 0.8 percent or higher) deaths constituted 31.7 percent of the 41,059 total traffic fatalities in 2007. That's not even taking into consideration the role of alcohol in violence and domestic abuse.
    Quite so.

MBTI
    ENTP

You are wrong. If some man gives a woman $100 for a blow job, who is victimized? If a college student smokes a joint and listens to Radiohead, who is victimized? If I buy a lottery ticket, who is victimized?
    Don't be naive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I advocate greater regulation of alcohol. For sure. To my mind, it's more bringing back the blue laws that were common practice before we liberalized things. Alcohol has no place in amusement parks, for example. In my opinion.
    Greater regulation =/= making it illegal. There would still be a big gap between how we treat pot and how we treat alcohol (which IMO is a much more potent life-ruiner than pot, though pot is not harmless). All I'm asking is that the legal consequences of getting caught using various substances be consistent, by which I mean commensurate with their respective harm. I'm not asking for Glaxo to start making and selling crack.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Greater regulation =/= making it illegal. There would still be a big gap between how we treat pot and how we treat alcohol (which IMO is a much more potent life-ruiner than pot, though pot is not harmless). All I'm asking is that the legal consequences of getting caught using various substances be consistent, by which I mean commensurate with their respective harm. I'm not asking for Glaxo to start making and selling crack.
    I don't know where you live, but marijuana is all but legal where I live.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not here... not that it affects me personally.

Possession of one half ounce or less is punishable by up to 30 days in jail, most likely suspended. Possession of greater than one half ounce is punishable by 1 - 120 days in jail, with a possibility of community service or probation in lieu of jail. Possession greater than 1.5 ounces increases the penalties to up to 12 months in jail. Possession of paraphernalia is punishable by up to six months in jail.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

If some man gives a woman $100 for a blow job, who is victimized? If a college student smokes a joint and listens to Radiohead, who is victimized? If I buy a lottery ticket, who is victimized?
    The womans self esteem. The dead mexican who was the middleman in a bad deal that that joint originated from. The school systems that rely on that expectation as a fixed income.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Not here... not that it affects me personally.
    There's discretion in enforcement even if something is explicitly illegal. It's very similar to how speeding is illegal, but enforcement varies from place to place. In many places, if you're a college kid with a joint, you're not likely to receive anything even approaching a serious consequence.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    The womans self esteem. The dead mexican who was the middleman in a bad deal that that joint originated from. The school systems that rely on that expectation as a fixed income.
    So much for personal responsibility, though, right? The laws can't save us.