User Tag List

First 27353637383947 Last

Results 361 to 370 of 472

  1. #361
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The criminalization of drugs is a tool in a power play.
    There is no power to wrest from the willfully powerless.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #362
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Ok. I had to put it out there. Research a little if you've never, and see what you think in a week or two.

  3. #363
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    There is a strong correlation between drug use and criminality, even with drugs being legal. Likewise, drug use fuels addiction and suffering.

    Drugs are not illegal because some people are buzzkills. Drugs are illegal because they are dangerous.
    Actually, people being buzzkills is one of the main reasons drugs are illegal. It's also one of the main reasons for organizations like MADD that recommend absolutely insane and counterproductive laws. Or look at the Temperance groups who pushed Prohibition for decades, who disliked the hard-drinking immigrants pouring into the United States. Buzzkilling is a main reason why illegal vices stay illegal. Prostitution and gambling are illegal under most circumstances (except for states and municipalities that decided they'd rather get a cut).

    And I would like to see your statistics for correlation between drug use and criminality (meaning real crimes, not arrests for possession/loitering/prostitution).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #364
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Ok. I had to put it out there. Research a little if you've never, and see what you think in a week or two.
    Research what? Don't you know that for every "fact" you can find a "fact" to the contrary?

    Belief begets fact and everything is filtered through how you already see the world. Admit to yourself and to me, that even if I found 1000 studies to conflict your point of view you would still remain anchored in your belief that drugs should be legal.

    You see poor downtrodden victim of society in a Jean Valjean struggle to provide for his family and someone else sees a criminal who knowingly breaks the law to make money instead of working. Everyone sees the world the way they need to see it. Few people can observe the cognitive dissonance that accompanies reality.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #365
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Actually, people being buzzkills is one of the main reasons drugs are illegal. It's also one of the main reasons for organizations like MADD that recommend absolutely insane and counterproductive laws. Buzzkilling is a main reason why illegal vices stay illegal. Prostitution and gambling are illegal under most circumstances (except for states and municipalities that decided they'd rather get a cut).

    And I would like to see your statistics for correlation between drug use and criminality (meaning real crimes, not arrests for possession/loitering/prostitution).
    Prostitution should be legal? What if I manipulated your sister into a life of prostitution and let men pay to have sex with her? What if a little girl grows up in an abusive family and thinks that it is somehow okay to have sex with people for money?

    Where is your moral compass? Do you really think it is ideal to have people paying for sex?

    We must draw the line against these things.

    Gambling should be illegal as well. Try living in a town where casino gambling is legal.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #366
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Research what? Don't you know that for every "fact" you can find a "fact" to the contrary?

    Belief begets fact and everything is filtered through how you already see the world. Admit to yourself and to me, that even if I found 1000 studies to conflict your point of view you would still remain anchored in your belief that drugs should be legal.

    You see poor downtrodden victim of society in a Jean Valjean struggle to provide for his family and someone else sees a criminal who knowingly breaks the law to make money instead of working. Everyone sees the world the way they need to see it. Few people can observe the cognitive dissonance that accompanies reality.
    Glib.

  7. #367
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Glib.
    You need to see me that way.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #368
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Prostitution should be legal?
    Yes, prostitution should absolutely, positively be legal.


    What if I manipulated your sister into a life of prostitution and let men pay to have sex with her? What if a little girl grows up in an abusive family and thinks that it is somehow okay to have sex with people for money?
    A) That happens already, and prostitutes are amongst the most abused people in our society, because they are put underground; and B) It's OK to have sex with people for money.


    Where is your moral compass? Do you really think it is ideal to have people paying for sex?
    My moral compass is set firmly to what is best for society as a whole, and for individuals to be free to engage in peaceful behavior. Prostitutes do it already, and it would be a lot better if it were out in the open and safer.


    We must draw the line against these things.
    Actually, we do not have to draw a line against these things at all. If drugs, whores, and betting slips were available on the corner tonight, the sun would still come up tomorrow, and some people who would normally spend the night homeless, in jail, or beat up in a hospital might actually have a chance to work their ways out of things.


    Gambling should be illegal as well. Try living in a town where casino gambling is legal.
    I lived an hour and a half from Atlantic City and I've been there many times. What's the problem? Delaware is legalized sportsbook betting now, too, and it's a great idea. My home state of Pennsylvania is getting slots at horse tracks now, too.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #369
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    We simply see the world in completely different ways. Where I see deprivation you see Disneyland.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  10. #370
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    We simply see the world in completely different ways. Where I see deprivation you see Disneyland.

    The way you see the world is misinformed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. If you'd liked to be typed . . .
    By amerellis in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 336
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
  2. Post a book you think everyone should read and say why
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  3. Funny the way it is, if you think about it ~
    By BoChelly in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  4. Which kind of function use do you think this might be?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO