User Tag List

First 26343536373846 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Who says I have never done drugs or alcohol? Who says I do not know people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol? I am no babe in the woods. Even this exercise here shows me the pernicious effects of drugs and alcohol on controlling people's opinions.

So, what drugs HAVE you done? I have made full disclosure about my past drug use, and current abstention from everything but alcohol and cigarettes.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Well, I think the drug laws are a flimsy excuse to incarcerate sections of the populace that the power structure doesn't care for, and to take away people's property and otherwise disenfranchise them. We allow the drugs into our country. Then we make laws that say if you have anything purchased with drug money, we can take it away from you. Even if we only suspect it is purchased with drug money. And we can put you in jail.

It's very effective.

It has very little to do with drugs.

It plays on the hit to the ego of self-righteousness. You get all virtuous talking about those druggies and how it all oughta be against the law, etc., you start to feel like whatever is done to "those people" is what they deserve.

See how that works?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, I think the drug laws are a flimsy excuse to incarcerate sections of the populace that the power structure doesn't care for, and to take away people's property and otherwise disenfranchise them. We allow the drugs into our country. Then we make laws that say if you have anything purchased with drug money, we can take it away from you. Even if we only suspect it is purchased with drug money. And we can put you in jail.

It's very effective.

It plays on the hit to the ego of self-righteousness. You get all virtuous talking about those druggies and how it all oughta be against the law, etc., you start to feel like whatever is done to "those people" is what they deserve.

See how that works?
    People don't have to use drugs. It's a choice. If they get caught in possession or caught with thousands of dollars they can't account for in addition to possession of significant amounts of drugs, they should expect contact with law enforcement. As far as I am aware, anyone who has had their money seized can get it back if they demonstrate the money did not come from an association with drugs (the very drugs they were arrested for possessing). Do you regularly carry around thousands of dollars in cash? Can we at least agree that most people do not do this and that if you are caught with that much cash and a pound of weed you might be up to something? Especially if you have no paper trail for where the money came from?

As for the rest of what you say, your statements sound paranoid as if the government has an axe to grind against the poor and downtrodden. The government has better things to do than mess with idiots who fuck their own selves and piss their own lives away.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's very effective.

See how that works?

One of the worst attributes in modern American society is this common thought process: "You know, I really hate XXXX. There oughta be a law against it!"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Just think about it.

Nation & World | Texas town stops black motorists, seizes assets | Seattle Times Newspaper

Seized Drug Assets Pad Police Budgets : NPR

P.S. I don't use illegal drugs. So that's not what this is about. Just fyi.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    One of the worst attributes in modern American society is this common thought process: "You know, I really hate XXXX. There oughta be a law against it!"
    There is a strong correlation between drug use and criminality, even with drugs being legal. Likewise, drug use fuels addiction and suffering.

Drugs are not illegal because some people are buzzkills. Drugs are illegal because they are dangerous.

MBTI
    ENTP

Just think about it.

Nation & World | Texas town stops black motorists, seizes assets | Seattle Times Newspaper

Seized Drug Assets Pad Police Budgets : NPR

P.S. I don't use illegal drugs. So that's not what this is about. Just fyi.
    These are not arguments for drug legalization. These are arguments for better policing. I'm equally against corruption in law enforcement, just as I am against personal corruption in the use of drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    So, what drugs HAVE you done? I have made full disclosure about my past drug use, and current abstention from everything but alcohol and cigarettes.
    It's interesting. There seems to be a hierarchy in drugs.

I have noticed that when most druggies give up drugs, they don't give up cigarettes and alcohol.

And I have noticed that when most alcoholics give up alcohol, they don't give up cigarettes.

And of course cigarettes are the perfect addiction - cigarettes are sublime.

Cigarettes are perfectly sublime because nicotine leaves the body easily and readily and so quite soon after a cigarette, you start to feel the withdrawal symptoms. And the only way to end the withdrawal symptoms is to have another cigarette.

So it is important to remember that, no matter what they say, users are simply responding to their withdrawal symptoms.

Of course they dress it up in all kinds of fancy talk - they will even tell you that drugs are a kind of spiritual path; or they will tell you that they get more out of drugs than drugs get out of them; they will tell you drugs have brought them friendship - the friendship of other druggies; they will tell you drugs are a wonderful adventure; they will tell you drugs have brought them new insight; they will tell you drugs have brought them excitement in a mundane world. And druggies always feel superior to the straights.

But in reality they are only responding to their withdrawal symptoms.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    These are not arguments for drug legalization. These are arguments for better policing. I'm equally against corruption in law enforcement, just as I am against personal corruption in the use of drugs.
    The criminalization of drugs is a tool in a power play.

MBTI
    ENTP

Interesting, Victor. As someone who smokes occasionally (5-6 a week, typically on the weekends), I have always thought that I was not really addicted and resisted the notion that I was even a "smoker". However, someone pointed out recently that maybe my inability to recognize that I was a smoker was indicative of the denial of addiction itself, which really left me scratching my head. Because I always thought of it as something I chose to do rather than needed to do and yet maybe I tricked myself into thinking this way by way of the addiction. How do you know when you're addicted to something?

Edit: I didn't make clear that I am trying to quit. I would say I have quit, but it seems too soon to declare victory.