User Tag List

First 24323334353644 Last

Results 331 to 340 of 472

  1. #331
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I realize this... Just like everyone who speeds doesn't crash or everyone who attempts suicide doesn't succeed... There is nothing redeeming to heavy drugs to suggest that there's any good reason to discard a ban on them.
    There is plenty to suggest that. The unintended consequences of the War on Drugs, for instance. What we have created is far worse than what we had before drugs were illegal.


    Under which circumstances is self-medication preferable to legitimate, professional medication?
    Well, in states in which there is no medical marijuana, illegally self-medicating is often better than relying on a doctor's prescription (look at chemo-induced nausea). Also, sometimes, it's useful to get fucked up. Sometimes it's better to get drunk and forget your troubles than it is to harp on them, or to do a couple of lines of blow with some buddies to take a boring night and turn it into a party. Just about any drug can be used recreationally. Crack is the only drug I've come across that I would consider to be truly beyond the pale in just about every circumstance, and most crackheads wouldn't smoke that shit if powder cocaine were cheap, safe, and available to them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #332
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    All arguments are eventually reduced to semantics. How do you define freedom?
    Still trying to kill the thread, I see.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #333
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Still trying to kill the thread, I see.
    Well, this thread should die. But, potheads keep going. Banging their heads against the wall instead of making progress on anything. Whining instead of doing something. It's all farting in the wind.

    The thing potheads fail to consider: the other side has equally valid and closely held beliefs for how things are. You're basically not going to change someone's mind on things like this. It's all about your orientation. The only people who will change their mind are wishy-washy types who will change back again when they run into someone else with a strong opinion.

    During the last election I was a delegate (don't ask me how because I'm so apolitical) for the party in my county and I had to sit there on a Saturday morning while they voted on various things (only for the platform and not to change the platform just to vote on it) and these people from NORML were there and were trying to introduce all these pointless notes and motions into the proceedings.

    Without going into detail just take my word for it that they were accomplishing nothing more than keeping regular Joes like myself from going home after fulfilling their mind-numbing civic duty on the weekend. I was gobsmacked at their folly and complete inability to be effective. What a waste.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  4. #334
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The thing potheads fail to consider: the other side has equally valid and closely held beliefs for how things are. You're basically not going to change someone's mind on things like this. It's all about your orientation. The only people who will change their mind are wishy-washy types who will change back again when they run into someone else with a strong opinion.
    That, or you're projecting your own complete refusal to admit you're wrong, no matter how many times your arguments are crushed, on everyone else.

    I used to be anti-drug, like I said earlier. When I met someone who did drugs and had absolutely nothing wrong with himself, it was like my world fell apart. I realized that I had been wrong about what drugs are.

    And I still have these epiphanies about things. My views on the world are changing. I'm not wishy-washy, I just want to acknowledge when I've been wrong about things--because I saw directly that they were different than I thought. It happens.

    So a few people do change their minds. A few people hadn't really even considered it much in the first place. Why are you even arguing if you don't think minds can be changed? Do you like making useless conversation with "potheads who never get anything done?"

  5. #335
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    That, or you're projecting your own complete refusal to admit you're wrong, no matter how many times your arguments are crushed, on everyone else.

    I used to be anti-drug, like I said earlier. When I met someone who did drugs and had absolutely nothing wrong with himself, it was like my world fell apart. I realized that I had been wrong about what drugs are.

    And I still have these epiphanies about things. My views on the world are changing. I'm not wishy-washy, I just want to acknowledge when I've been wrong about things--because I saw directly that they were different than I thought. It happens.

    So a few people do change their minds. A few people hadn't really even considered it much in the first place. Why are you even arguing if you don't think minds can be changed? Do you like making useless conversation with "potheads who never get anything done?"
    1. When was the last time you smoked weed?
    2. Do you sell weed?
    3. Does your girlfriend / boyfriend smoke weed?
    4. Do you identify yourself as an anarchist or libertarian or some other form of idealistic political ethos? (I ask because these issues become a matter of identity and emotional response rather than well-considered points of view. Idealists can sometimes be compromised by their emotional stance.)
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #336
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    He actually gave reasons to why he "disagrees" with though. Valid ones at that. If you escape or self-medicate your problems improperly, they'll only get worse. Are you implying their's solid ground to defend addiction?
    You sound like the anti-abortionists, expecting people to respond as if abortion/addiction is a good thing.

    Nobody on the planet thinks either of those is a good thing; that's not the issue. The issue is whether the government has a right to restrict your personal freedom by actively forcing you to choose against it using legislation/threat of punishment.

    Of course addiction is bad; that's REALLY missing the point.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #337
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    You sound like the anti-abortionists, expecting people to respond as if abortion/addiction is a good thing.

    Nobody on the planet thinks either of those is a good thing; that's not the issue. The issue is whether the government has a right to restrict your personal freedom by actively forcing you to choose against it using legislation/threat of punishment.

    Of course addiction is bad; that's REALLY missing the point.
    Ah, but see. The government is not restricting your right to put poison in your body. Only the right to possess it or sell it. Simple enough for you?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #338
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Ah, but see. The government is not restricting your right to put poison in your body. Only the right to possess it or sell it. Simple enough for you?
    Hey, what's that under the bridge over yonder? Oh, it's a big ugly troll.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beat
    There is nothing redeeming to heavy drugs to suggest that there's any good reason to discard a ban on them.
    Your opinion on the redeeming qualities of hard drugs is not the bloody point. In a society based on civil liberty, the default position for any given action is "allowed", until shown a compelling reason that it threatens the safety of citizens or their property against their will. Check those last three words again--AGAINST THEIR WILL.

    It may happen to be my personal opinion that religious indoctrination is bad for the minds of children, but since I can't show any compelling reason that it threatens the safety of citizens or their property against their will, I can't offer any justification for banning it.

    Don't you get it? "I think it's bad" is not sufficient reasoning here; you have to look beyond your own feelings on whether you would choose this for yourself and show an objectively verifiable reason that it poses an overwhelming security threat to society as a whole.

    "Don't believe in abortion? Don't understand gay people? Sexuality make you rashy? Think Harry Potter teaches kids evil and witchcraft? Don't marry a sexy gay witch abortionist. But don't you dare, based on your limited understanding of God and life, make laws declaring that I can't."
    --Mark Morford
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #339
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Hey, what's that under the bridge over yonder? Oh, it's a big ugly troll.
    I prefer "paladin of justice"!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  10. #340
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    1. When was the last time you smoked weed?
    2. Do you sell weed?
    3. Does your girlfriend / boyfriend smoke weed?
    4. Do you identify yourself as an anarchist or libertarian or some other form of idealistic political ethos? (I ask because these issues become a matter of identity and emotional response rather than well-considered points of view. Idealists can sometimes be compromised by their emotional stance.)
    1. Almost a month ago
    2. No
    3. Don't have one
    4. Libertarian if anything. That doesn't have a big effect on my thinking, though. I don't often think about politics.

Similar Threads

  1. If you'd liked to be typed . . .
    By amerellis in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 336
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
  2. Post a book you think everyone should read and say why
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  3. Funny the way it is, if you think about it ~
    By BoChelly in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  4. Which kind of function use do you think this might be?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO