User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    For what it's worth. The laws are not made to be punitive. Not the way you think. The law exists to protect society. Its purpose is not to cause suffering. Only to encourage a healthy society.
    Oh, the laws have good intentions. I FEEL OKAY ABOUT IT NOW!!

Did you have an overbearing father growing up?
    Why?

MBTI
    INTP

Is it wrong to pick a baby up and smash its head on the sidewalk? Yes.

I bet you would agree with me. And, I bet 99.99999% of people would also agree. See where I'm going? Most people agree on what is right and wrong.
    What a HORRIBLE example. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Way to cover all the bases, there. Rofl.... yeah, I agree with you, 99 percent of people would agree that smashing a baby's head is something we want to be free of.

Now how about the legality of drugs? How about abortion? How about the environment? How about ANY. FUCKING. CONTROVERSIAL. ISSUE?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Why?
    A lot of people who are "anti-authoritarian" have experienced the abuse of authority in their own lives, so they apply this filter to all authority. If they had an overbearing father, they'll see law enforcement, the government, bosses, and God all in this tainted image as different versions of the same father-type authority. I used to be very much like this. I was against authority in all its various guises.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP

A lot of people who are "anti-authoritarian" have experienced the abuse of authority in their own lives, so they apply this filter to all authority. If they had an overbearing father, they'll see law enforcement, the government, bosses, and God all in this tainted image as different versions of the same father-type authority. I used to be very much like this. I was against authority in all its various guises.
    Eh, that's bull. Shitty rules are shitty rules, whoever it is from. I guess some people just like doing what they're told. My mom was sorta authoritarian, not that it has anything to do with anything. Not like you can use my fucking psychology in this argument anyway. What are you saying, that since my parents were strict I don't go blindly along with everything my government does, assimilating it all as my own basis for morality?

I do not expect for people to agree with me. But towards my opinion as an outsider I think that legalization is a bad idea. Especially if you have a society that is full of unhappy people. Since you are risking large expansion of drug use in the society.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Wow yeah, great plan. This has worked about as well as Communism.
    Let's go ahead and legalize murder, no amount of restraint or enforcement is going to stop it, so to hell with it right? You can't say drugs and drug trade doesn't only affect the user. It affects those in proximity as well. A land needs to establish to some degree where it stands in it's principles; what's tolerated and what's not. Just because a "war on drugs" is endless, that doesn't mean it's not worth the fight. It's as much about taking a stand and saying: "Our country won't promote this behavior. It's not ok." If that doesn't fall in line with your personal values, tough luck. There's plenty of more "open minded" locations out there.

There's nothing wrong with giving thorough thought to the subject and like I've said, it wouldn't surprise me or really even phase me if Marijuana were legalized. However, harsh, addictive drugs that are nothing but toxic, I wouldn't be ok with giving leniency to it's production, sale and usage.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I do not expect for people to agree with me. But towards my opinion as an outsider I think that legalization is a bad idea. Especially if you have a society that is full of unhappy people. Since you are risking large expansion of drug use in the society.
    How do you know that it wouldn't make the unhappy people happier? Weed made me happier when I went through a depressing few months. The information and knowledge about drug use won't disappear. Do you really think that a person who avoided smoking heroin their whole lives is suddenly going to start and get addicted now that it is suddenly legal?

But let's face the obvious. They wouldn't just legalize every drug at the same time. If legalization were to occur they would probably start with weed and certain psychedelics. Those have a low danger of addiction and abuse. The people who want to do those drugs but don't because of the law is very, very low. We wouldn't get many new drug users. Not that it would be a bad thing if we did, with those light drugs.

MBTI
    ISTx

Is this a "drugs at large" legalization thread, or a pro-pot thread? Tho two really should be differentiated.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Is this a "drugs at large" legalization thread, or a pro-pot thread? Tho two really should be differentiated.
    Yes, it is a "drugs at large" legalization thread, but that's not what would ever actually happen.

MBTI
    ISTx

What is one benefit to legalizing heroin, crack or amphetamines?