User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't smoke weed (anymore), but I really loved getting high. There is nothing wrong with that. However, hemp actually has some great uses. Paper, especially. It would be nice if we did not have to chop down trees that provide oxygen to make paper.
    Why did you quit? I am genuinely curious.

Fuck the hemp bullshit. We get paper from trees grown especially for paper. Look into it. We're not cutting down Princess Mononoke's spirit forest.

Actually, they decriminalized all drugs in Portugal in 2001, and levels of use have remained steady, while drug overdoses, infections, and deaths due to tainted drugs have fallen significantly. It's been a major success.
    Maybe their previous enforcement regime sucked ass. That would be why things changed little. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the case as the Euros are pretty limp wristed when it comes to taking a stand on things.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    This is probably the best point you've made. Everything else is cliche pothead whining. Smoke the shit already. It's not that difficult to acquire.

It's a good question though and I think it's a chicken or egg thing. Do people resent the laws because our culture has become decadent? Or, do they resent the laws because they resent the imposition on their freedom? Most normal people avoid drug use, so I doubt they resent the laws.

Though, can you impose morality on a culture that has become decadent and immoral? Where should we lead? With our morality or with our laws? The laws ultimately should reflect the prevailing morality, but what if the prevailing moral atmosphere is decadent as I suggested? I don't know the answer, but it is a problem. You do have to promote morality and ethics or laws will be insufficient. Good point.
    Things haven't "become" decadent. There are always people like you who think that the moral values of their culture are falling apart. No, it's just you getting left behind. The norms of society change and it isn't a good or a bad thing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Things haven't "become" decadent. There are always people like you who think that the moral values of their culture are falling apart. No, it's just you getting left behind. The norms of society change and it isn't a good or a bad thing.
    I was left in the 18th century, so I'm not too worried about it. I prefer the old time religion. I hate this spoiled brat egotism that seems so de rigeur. No one should impose on my rights blah blah blah.

Change is always better or worse than what came before. You just have to identify the things that matter to you and measure against them.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Why did you quit? I am genuinely curious.
    Quit being a pothead? About five years ago. I have probably smoked pot five times in the last 12 months. Haven't bought any in three years or so. I used to do any drug there was. I've tried almost everything there is to try, except for PCP (probably; I've had some dusted weed before).

Fuck the hemp bullshit. We get paper from trees grown especially for paper. Look into it. We're not cutting down Princess Mononoke's spirit forest.
    So? Wouldn't it be better if we didn't have to cut down any trees for paper at all? I am not some environmental wacko. Hell, I love guitars made out of endangered Brazilian rosewood. I am just saying that it would be nice if we could get all the paper we needed from a crop that can be grown and harvested every year, instead of chopping down trees. Hemp twine is great, too. And there are plenty of other useful hemp products. Still, this all tertiary to the fact that A) adults who want to get high should be able to without being arrested; and B) the fact that drugs are illegal makes them far worse for society than any side effects they have on their own. Do you know how many innocent people get killed in crossfire, or by police and DEA agents who screw up and go to the wrong house, or how many police and judges are on the take? It's a whole sick economy that sprung up because the government decided some chemicals are OK and some are not.

Maybe their previous enforcement regime sucked ass.
    How is that relevant? They stopped enforcement entirely, and things got BETTER. Our enforcement regime sucks here, too. About 260 tons of cocaine is imported to the U.S. every year. And, of course, our own government used money from cocaine trafficking to fund the Contras in the 1980s. That really sends the right message about how drugs are bad.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was left in the 18th century, so I'm not too worried about it. I prefer the old time religion. I hate this spoiled brat egotism that seems so de rigeur. No one should impose on my rights blah blah blah.

Last I checked, the men who founded this country in the 18th Century pretty much came up with the "No one should impose on my rights" attitude that you seem to deride. Are you sure you aren't more of the 8th Century?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Last I checked, the men who founded this country in the 18th Century pretty much came up with the "No one should impose on my rights" attitude that you seem to deride. Are you sure you aren't more of the 8th Century?
    I'm pretty sure Washington and Jefferson and the rest of the homeboys would've put the jack boot on the neck of crack dealers slanging in their communities. What do you think?

Yeah, might be 8th century. Whichever century people learned to stop coating their desire to get high in layers of high-minded philosophical bullshit about rights, ecology, etc. Mendacity is almost as odious as my sanctimony.

Quit being a pothead? About five years ago. I have probably smoked pot five times in the last 12 months. Haven't bought any in three years or so. I used to do any drug there was. I've tried almost everything there is to try, except for PCP (probably; I've had some dusted weed before).
    No, not when. WHY? Why did you quit? Stay with me, Cheech.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Laws are idealistic.
    Laws are practical. They are the codified form of the social contract, however you want to put it, and they carry the use of force - supposedly the only form of force. When you remove the natural order imposed by force and replace it with law, you are being idealistic. We are all idealistic, in that sense.

You think we can save the world with a bunch of puny laws?
    Save what world from what? But they do create civilization, yes. They form, chicken or egg, the structure around civilization.

Just saying, the laws are this "brick wall of ideology" that you speak of.
    No, they really aren't... see:

I'm a realist most of the time, in the sense that I take drugs illegally and don't make a show of it.
    Exactly

MBTI
    INTP

I'm pretty sure Washington and Jefferson and the rest of the homeboys would've put the jack boot on the neck of crack dealers slanging in their communities. What do you think?

Yeah, might be 8th century. Whichever century people learned to stop coating their desire to get high in layers of high-minded philosophical bullshit about rights, ecology, etc. Mendacity is almost as odious as my sanctimony.
    Whoever said that the fun of getting high isn't part of the point. I said myself that I like getting high because it is fun, relaxing, and creativity inducing. Did I ever, one time, mention philosophical, ecological benefits of drugs?

MBTI
    INFP

Laws cannot address the root issues of things like drug addiction or cheating on a spouse.

If I choose not to cheat because I'm afraid of the law, does it really make things better? There is still a distance and non-commitment in my heart, and yet I appear outwardly like everything is fine.

Infidelity happens for a lot of different reasons. So does drug use and drug addiction. Plenty of "normal" or "good" people have lapses of good sense and cheat. Plenty of "normal/good" people use drugs, and unfortunately, some "normal/good" people get addicted. It's ignorant to lump all these people in one group as if they're lowlifes and scum. That's the sort of attitude that will keep people hiding in their problems instead of seeking help.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    Wow yeah, great plan. This has worked about as well as Communism.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?