User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 130

  1. #11
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    So put a symbolic curse on the Mormons. i did when i was 14. Get a load of this-a Mormon neighbor told me that i had to share my bannana with him because, according to their beliefs, if one has food and another is present, then the one who has food must share it.

    The reason i capitalize (M)ormon is because it assists my karma, in that my curse will come into effect due to having respect for the positives of their beliefs
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  2. #12
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    It's disappointing that they are gaining in numbers, even though they have one of the highest dropout rates among the religions.

    # Milestones of Total Church Membership 2008 - 13.5 Million3
    # 2007 - 13 Million
    # 2004 - 12 Million
    # 2000 - 11 Million
    # 1997 - 10 Million
    # 1994 - 9 Million
    # 1991 - 8 Million
    # 1989 - 7 Million
    # 1986 - 6 Million
    # 1982 - 5 Million
    # 1978 - 4 Million
    # 1971 - 3 Million
    # 1963 - 2 Million
    # 1947 - 1 Million
    # 1920 - 1/2 Million
    # 1890s - 1/4 Million
    # 1880 - 160,000
    # 1877 - 115,0006
    # 1870 - 110,000
    # 1860 - 80,000
    # 1850 - 60,000
    # 1840 - 30,000
    # 1830s - 15,0006
    # 1830 - 6 Member
    Mormon World Population – How Many Mormons Are There in the World

    I guess their obnoxious form of proselytizing works. They will most likely even have a serious Republican Mormon contender for President in Mitt Romney, but that would be a fluke.

    General American culture, and even many parts of our conservative culture, is a lot more progressive and has moved beyond where the Mormons are at now. It's disconcerting that they are growing in number, but at the same time I think they will grow in obscurity as society leaves them behind.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's disappointing that they are gaining in numbers, even though they have one of the highest dropout rates among the religions.

    ...

    I guess their obnoxious form of proselytizing works. They will most likely even have a serious Republican Mormon contender for President in Mitt Romney, but that would be a fluke.

    General American culture, and even many parts of our conservative culture, is a lot more progressive and has moved beyond where the Mormons are at now. It's disconcerting that they are growing in number, but at the same time I think they will grow in obscurity as society leaves them behind.
    They baptize people without telling them about their true history or beliefs. My Mormon friend that served on a mission, confirmed that the church is notorious for baptizing people with very little knowledge in both America and foreign countries. The process is called, "milk before meat". The church thinks the real beliefs would turn potential converts off. That's their tactic for manipulating them into it, and hoping they stay after they find out the truth. Yet, some never do. Mormons are instructed not to read or listen to anything about LDS that isn't sanctioned by the church. Mormons believe some outrageous claims, but if you ask they will "lie for the lord", and say it's not true.

    Lying for the Lord - MormonWiki.org

    I wish that were true, but I don't see them being left behind. The church has built a powerful organization, because of the required 10% tithing and successful recruiting tactics.

  4. #14
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    I am still suspicious of what the hell exactly goes on in their temples. i've tried to check out the inside of one once but was refused. Yet, the parking lot was full and it was a thur at 9am. Not just that, alot of things seemed screwy. i noticed others entering had to wear slippers. Then, get this, i noticed absolutely NO pantylines on the women entering who were also wearing the kind of dresses that one could tell if there were panties worn in the first place. And then, the dudes were overdressed as if to be smuggling shit in. Shit. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THERE. dammit
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  5. #15
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    They baptize people without telling them about their true history or beliefs. My Mormon friend that served on a mission, confirmed that the church is notorious for baptizing people with very little knowledge in both America and foreign countries. The process is called, "milk before meat". The church thinks the real beliefs would turn potential converts off. That's their tactic for manipulating them into it, and hoping they stay after they find out the truth. Yet, some never do. Mormons are instructed not to read or listen to anything about LDS that isn't sanctioned by the church. Mormons believe some outrageous claims, but if you ask they will "lie for the lord", and say it's not true.

    Lying for the Lord - MormonWiki.org

    I wish that were true, but I don't see them being left behind. The church has built a powerful organization, because of the required 10% tithing and successful recruiting tactics.
    That could help explain the high drop-out rate. I didn't even know they got that hardcore. I just see their brand of social conservatism becoming less popular to a general audience, as younger generations come of age. Though, since they are still expanding, I imagine they already have worked on ways to appeal to and re-brand themselves to non-baby boomers.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    I am still suspicious of what the hell exactly goes on in their temples. i've tried to check out the inside of one once but was refused. Yet, the parking lot was full and it was a thur at 9am. Not just that, alot of things seemed screwy. i noticed others entering had to wear slippers. Then, get this, i noticed absolutely NO pantylines on the women entering who were also wearing the kind of dresses that one could tell if there were panties worn in the first place. And then, the dudes were overdressed as if to be smuggling shit in. Shit. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THERE. dammit
    lol Do you live in a Mormon populated area? I live in a city founded by them, and they're everywhere.

    What's more interesting is the secret handshakes and passwords to get into heaven. Their special name they aren't allowed to tell anyone, or the secret powers they get from being good followers. They used to do this thing called, "Blood Atonement". In the temple it consisted of making pacts and hand signals of slitting their throat or gut, if they ever disobeyed God. Adultery, murder, and leaving the church called for blood atonement. Leaving the church was the greatest sin. Either way, those specific sins couldn't be paid for by Jesus Christ. So, adherents themselves would pay by spilling their actual blood. I think temple secrecy stems from being similar to Freemasonry practices, which leads to questions about their true history and fraudulent leader. LDS is big on censorship. People that leave the church, especially women, talk about feeling creeped out by some of the things done in the temple. Though, acts like naked touching was stopped several years ago.


    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That could help explain the high drop-out rate. I didn't even know they got that hardcore. I just see their brand of social conservatism becoming less popular to a general audience, as younger generations come of age. Though, since they are still expanding, I imagine they already have worked on ways to appeal to and re-brand themselves to non-baby boomers.
    If they come around on the gay issue, like they did with blacks in the 1970s, they will definitely survive. Even without that, they grow and grow. I don't understand it at all. I think even garden variety Christianity is more legit than LDS.

    I live near the west coast. We have one of the largest populations of illegal Mexican immigrants in the U.S. The missionaries are instructed to recruit them. Mexicans are joining more than any other ethnic group. It's probably the emphasis on family that hooks them. Mormon's "family and marriage is forever", really seems to appeal to their culture. Authorities have been complaining about it, but the church's official stance is "don't ask. don't tell." Plus, the church pulls the race card and says they shouldn't deny them recruitment as it would be discriminatory. Basically, Mormons have a lot of opportunity to pull numbers from homophobic groups. Conservative Catholics are large in number, illegal immigrants an easy target.

  7. #17
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    lol Do you live in a Mormon populated area? I live in a city founded by them, and they're everywhere.

    What's more interesting is the secret handshakes and passwords to get into heaven. Their special name they aren't allowed to tell anyone, or the secret powers they get from being good followers. They used to do this thing called, "Blood Atonement". In the temple it consisted of making pacts and hand signals of slitting their throat or gut, if they ever disobeyed God. Adultery, murder, and leaving the church called for blood atonement. Leaving the church was the greatest sin. Either way, those specific sins couldn't be paid for by Jesus Christ. So, adherents themselves would pay by spilling their actual blood. I think temple secrecy stems from being similar to Freemasonry practices, which leads to questions about their true history and fraudulent leader. LDS is big on censorship. People that leave the church, especially women, talk about feeling creeped out by some of the things done in the temple. Though, acts like naked touching was stopped several years ago.
    I got one. Joseph Smith-INFP. serious
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  8. #18
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Sorry OP, all I see is absurdity, not bigotry (except perhaps on the part of the author, who is projecting onto Mormon religionists his or her own perspective). My opinions on Mormonism (as well as the villification of Mormons) is pretty well represented by that one South Park episode...and right now I'm having flashbacks of the PCU movie.

  9. #19
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    "dum dum dum dum dum!"
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #20
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    "dum dum dum dum dum!"
    Lol! I'm off to look at Youtube videos, now...

Similar Threads

  1. Who is responsible for the lies of our leaders?
    By Octarine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
  2. One for the experts.
    By Xander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
  3. [MBTItm] A Question For The Domiant Type At This Forum?
    By "?" in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM
  4. [INFJ] sympathy for the despicable
    By Eileen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO