User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Hysteria over child safety

I'm not entirely sure which category this belongs in, I'd say it was a matter of social science but who knows where that goes? This seems like the closest equivalent... if you get bored with this explanatory post, just skip to the questionnaire in the post below it.

Anyway I'm thinking about how hysterical people get these days about anything to do with kids and their safety. It started when a friend on Facebook was panicking because she saw a woman with a camera pointed at her kid when they went out, and got so upset about it that she went and told her to stop it, without even asking her why she was doing it.

I commented, thinking, she seems to be worried that it'll be used for some evil purpose, so I proposed some possible innocent explanations: a woman who can't have kids of her own and just uses her hobby of photography to capture touching moments to smile over on rainy days. Stuff like that, harmless to my mind.

But, sadly-predictably, I was immediately lambasted by a bunch of her other contacts, all assuming that I must not have kids of my own or know how worrying it is with all these perverts that are supposedly hiding behind every corner.

Now I'm thinking (for the record I have 2 daughters), I've seen people taking photos near my kids and I haven't cared in the slightest. I mean Jesus, there have been enough times when I've been taking pics of my own kids in playgrounds, at beaches, at school events and stuff like that, and of course the odd other person's kid gets in the frame - the idea that the parents of those kids might be deeply upset if they knew that, or shocked and petrified if they found their kid, fully clothed and engaged in completely normal activities, in the background of a photo of my kids on my public gallery - well it just seems to me completely ludicrous.

Do you think it's gone too far? Cos I think it has - if the FIRST thing people are thinking when they see a guy with a camera near kids is "pedophile!!! uploading it onto perverted websites!!!" and not "photographer taking innocent pics of cute kids cos heck, everyone likes cute kids", I'm thinking it's no wonder you get things like this happening:

BBC NEWS | UK | 'I was treated like a paedophile'
    BBC NEWS | UK | Adults 'scared to go near kids'
    Toddler drowned, passer by didn't help for fear of being mistaken for abductor

Thoughts, anyone?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

I suppose more specifically I'm looking for responses from fellow parents (or non parents for the questions that aren't about having your own kids) along the lines of these questions:

1. How do you feel about strangers taking pics/movies with your kids in?
    2. What do you actually think/fear/suppose they're taking these pictures for? I want to know your first thought, but also if you have other thoughts that come up later.
    3. On what do you base these responses? Is it for example, stories you hear in the media? Actual research of statistics etc? Pressure to be a "good parent" (I have heard some parents say they feel OBLIGED to worry even when they rationally know there's no need to, for fear of other parents thinking they don't care if they don't visibly worry!)
    4. Have you ever taken pictures of other people's kids? Was it accidental/incidental (in background with your own kids in foreground, etc)? How do you suppose the parents of those kids felt? How do you feel about that?
    5. Any other thoughts you have on the topic.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    ISTP

Question. Is this just about pictures, or about child safety in general?
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Question. Is this just about pictures, or about child safety in general?
    well, I'm kinda surprised that you're the only one that's shown interest, given the vehemence of reactions that I got on Facebook...

I guess I'm thinking of pictures as a sort of jumping point, perhaps a possible barometer of the levels of fear over child safety in general. The kind of fear that I seem to encounter over the issue of photos of kids seems to either be either one of the origins/causes or a symptom, or both, of what seems to me to be a totally irrational hysteria.