User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

He'll probably appoint a center-left women or minority. Republicans should learn to pick their battles, he's going to appoint one of his own, they're not going to sway him to choose someone pro-life or a gay-marriage opponent, but they will still bring up these wedge issues and draw this all out.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Congress is not the correct authority to be interpreting Constitutional law! The Court interprets the law, and its interpretation has the force of law.
    Where did I say that? I said they're the body that is supposed to change the law. We shouldn't have a single body responsible for making and interpreting the law.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

Actually, the Constitution is a elastic and living document, and thus subjected to changing. It's not a false premise. It's a matter of Constitutional interpretation. I am, after all, a holder of a political science BA, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The original intent wasn't for the Supreme Court to make law, that's a more recent development. So your statement is based on a false premise.

Since we changed the duties, we should also change the terms.
    "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what's right with America." ~~ Bill Clinton.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Where did I say that? I said they're the body that is supposed to change the law. We shouldn't have a single body responsible for making and interpreting the law.
    But when the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution, the resulting legal opinion has the force of law. Precedential value and all. And that's the way it should be - Congress should not be in this arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc790
    Actually, the Constitution is a elastic and living document, and thus subjected to changing. It's not a false premise. It's a matter of Constitutional interpretation. I am, after all, a holder of a political science BA, among others.
    Please, never ever ever "argue" like that again. I'm aware we appear to be on the same side; that's why I'm asking begging.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marc790 View Post
    :rolli:

Big deal, so am I-and there was frankly very little to be learned there that could not also be learned very easily through independent study (and most of the rest would only be difficult because several sources are hard to find outside of universities). Your degree (and mine) means nothing in the context of this debate. Hell, Rajah was an actual lawyer, and though I respect her intelligence and frankly admire her ability to juggle so many difficult and intellectually taxing things at once, she is wrong on this issue and I am under no obligation to defer to her opinion on the matter-you might as well say we should all shut up and leave the debate to Scalia and Breyer, or to The Federalist Society and the American Bar Association.

Perhaps you could tell me, however, what the purpose of having a Constitution is (except as a tool for socialization and associated symbol of legitimacy), that is functionally different from the accumulated Common Law, if it is a "living" and (extremely) "flexible" document?

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    But when the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution, the resulting legal opinion has the force of law. Precedential value and all.
    You do see why this makes the case for why they ought not make it up as they go along as the empathy strikes them, right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Here's one for you all: what trumps the Constitution legally?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    You do see why this makes the case for why they ought not make it up as they go along as the empathy strikes them, right?
    You want them to have some amount of empathy, so that should play into the pick. You don't want a sociopath on the bench.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You want them to have some amount of empathy, so that should play into the pick. You don't want a sociopath on the bench.
    I can't say either tickles my fancy, frankly.
    Empathy for which side?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    I can't say either tickles my fancy, frankly.
    Empathy for which side?
    The only other option is to find an INTP. And those gems are hard to come by.