User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 192

  1. #131
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I haven't heard of it happening yet, at least not on the global scale. I haven't about anyone dispersing billions of tons of dust into the air to reflect solar radiation, or anything like that. But there are people who want to do that.
    Wait, are you arguing that 6+ billion people and their actions have done nothing to the climate on a global scale?

  2. #132
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,696

    Default

    I am curious. Why are people so concerned/focused on climate models when it comes to global warming?.

  3. #133
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Wait, are you arguing that 6+ billion people and their actions have done nothing to the climate on a global scale?
    Nope, and I've never argued that.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #134
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Nope, and I've never argued that.
    Ah I see.

    ptGatsby was arguing we are doing that (affecting the climate) just not in a concerted effort like fighting global warming.

    Miscommunication.

  5. #135
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post

    But AGW? Not proven yet. Imo. People can post as many satellite images and describe as many droughts as they like, it doesn't *prove* causation. Proving something is happening isn't the same as proving WHY it's happening. Even proving something is happening at the same time as another thing still isn't enough to prove they're related.
    Have you checked the links I provided?

    They are studies made with the help of satellites, and there is no mention of "droughts", only plain analysis of the thermal reflection of Earth. And the results are extremely clear, there is no ambiguity.

    It's hard science. It's very different from the vague newspapers articles you may read here and now.

    Would you prefer to trust a journalist or a real scientist?

    ---

    If you have ANY real scientific link against AGW, please show it to us.

    So let's stop the myth, despite what you say, you won't find ANY.
    Remember it's 98% versus 2%, as Ajblaise claimed.

    So why do you bother to focus your attention on the 2%?

    Why?

    ---

    And why are we talking about the AGW, here on Typology-C, since you know nothing of the phenomena, only vague impressions, only what you are told to believe?

    That's the trouble with internet, it can easily foster demagogy.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  6. #136
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Does anyone have an actual argument against lowering greenhouse gas emissions?

    I see people being skeptical on global warming, but rarely do I see anyone speak out against the completely noble goal of reducing pollution, as long as it's done in a responsible and incremental manner.

  7. #137
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Have you checked the links I provided?

    They are studies made with the help of satellites, and there is no mention of "droughts", only plain analysis of the thermal reflection of Earth. And the results are extremely clear, there is no ambiguity.

    It's hard science. It's very different from the vague articles from newspapers you may see here and now.

    Would you prefer to trust a journalist or a real scientist?

    ---

    If you have ANY real scientific link against AGW, please show it to us.

    So let's stop the myth, despite what you say, you won't find ANY.
    Remember it's 98% versus 2%, as Ajblaise claimed.

    So why do you bother to focus your attention on the 2%?

    Why?
    This is just incorrect. If climate was understood as well as you think it is, we would have climate models that could accurately predict the future. But they fail.

    Conclusion: Mankind does not understand global climate as much as some individuals claim.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #138
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Does anyone have an actual argument against lowering greenhouse gas emissions?

    I see people being skeptical on global warming, but rarely do I see anyone speak out against the completely noble goal of reducing pollution, as long as it's done in a responsible and incremental manner.
    I'm not against reducing greenhouse gas emissions. I'm against certain tactics used to achieve that goal.

    There is an argument you can make against it though. It raises prices, making basic goods and services more expensive for the poor.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #139
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is just incorrect. If climate was understood as well as you think it is, we would have climate models that could accurately predict the future. But they fail.

    Conclusion: Mankind does not understand global climate as much as some individuals claim.
    Stupidity!

    I wasn't mentioning climate models. Not at all.

    Only results. If you can interpret infrared images, distribution of isotopes within the troposphere, the thermal reflection of continents... Well... tell me!

    I was mentioning facts, and facts only. How climate models interpret and integrate those facts is a completely different story.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #140
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not against reducing greenhouse gas emissions. I'm against certain tactics used to achieve that goal.
    Tactics like actually enforcing it?

Similar Threads

  1. The Great Global Warming Swindle
    By reason in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  2. Socialism posts (moved from Global Warming.)
    By Anonymous in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
  3. Global warming explained
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 04:30 AM
  4. Global Warming, Man made or Naturally caused (And other earth questions)
    By Didums in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
  5. Global warming
    By Nocapszy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO