User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The term 'conspiracy theorist' is always used in the pejorative, and the negative connotations aren't fully undeserved. Nuts who are conspiracy theorists were nuts long before they became interested in these theories. So the paranoids ruin the concept for the sane believers. These theories don't have conclusive evidence, hence them being theories, so there needs to be some degree of a leap of faith to believe in one, and nuts have no problem with that.
    Most of science is just a bunch of THEORIES and predictions, so discrediting something on the basis of being a theory is the usual form of ill conceived logic you seem to practice in.

Quote Originally Posted by velocity View Post
    did you ever notice the trapdoor in your bedroom
    And at this very moment, as I write this and as you read it, I am conspiring against you.

Sitting under the trapdoor in my bedroom.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Most of science is just a bunch of THEORIES and predictions, so discrediting something on the basis of being a theory is the usual form of ill conceived logic you seem to practice in.
    Science has theories with empirical evidence to support them. The conspiracies you believe in don't.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Science has theories with empirical evidence to support them. The conspiracies you believe in don't.
    Empirical evidence to support a theory doesn't keep the theory from being WRONG, and lack of evidence for a theory doesn't keep it from being RIGHT. That's how it is for science and life in general (where most conspiracies are directed). Certainly the evidence for some theories isn't apparent to people because they just don't know anything about it to structure an informed opinion on the subject, and thus they ride it off as a conspiracy, the same way an uneducated moron will make fun of a guy for using fancy words that he can't articulate. The moron makes fun of the guy with the higher vocabulary because the moron can't accept what he doesn't know.

MBTI
    INTP

Empirical evidence to support a theory doesn't keep the theory from being WRONG, and lack of evidence for a theory doesn't keep it from being RIGHT. That's how it is for science and life in general (where most conspiracies are directed).
    Do conspiracy theorists judge the credibility of their theories with the same scrutiny as scientists? Rarely. You have a bunch of people visiting an Alex Jones website and posting blogs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Do conspiracy theorists judge the credibility of their theories with the same scrutiny as scientists? Rarely. You have a bunch of people visiting an Alex Jones website and posting blogs.
    Most people don't judge ANYTHING with the same scrutiny as a scientist does with his subject of choice, because that is science's prerogative and purpose. However, not everything true in the world results from a scientific process, nor can it necessarily be defined or proven/disproven in such a way.

MBTI
    INTP

Most people don't judge ANYTHING with the same scrutiny as a scientist does
    So don't compare scientific theories with conspiracy theories.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think that conspiracy theories tend to neglect sociological aspects.

Like the one about the illuminati? I think that the argument about the pyramid is vague. Throughout civilizations/cultures, there were several rituals that took place in pyramid like structures.

I think those who try to instill fear in others are also questionable, myself, especially if their argument leaves out the pros with the cons..

Sometimes, I think conspiracy theories have a hint of political propaganda. I think a more reasonable explanation is to cross-compare cultures/trends that happen throughout history and why things happen the way the did, and how things may seem to parallel, but at the same time, not relate?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

So don't compare scientific theories with conspiracy theories.
    The comparison was only relevant to your assertion that a theory is somehow automatically junk, because it's called a theory. My point was that many of the things we consider to be facts (through science, and outside of science as well) are merely THEORIES in themselves. The only difference between theories and types of theories is how much evidence we can back it up with, but even through the scientific process, mountains of evidence doesn't negate the possibility of it being wrong and viceversa. Done.

MBTI
    INTP

The comparison was only relevant to your assertion that a theory is somehow automatically junk, because it's called a theory. My point was that many of the things we consider to be facts (through science, and outside of science as well) are merely THEORIES in themselves. The only difference between theories and types of theories is how much evidence we can back it up with, but even through the scientific process, mountains of evidence doesn't negate the possibility of it being wrong and viceversa. Done.
    Automatic junk because it's a theory? Now you're just making things up.