User Tag List

123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking

This is something I've suspected, but it's nice to finally see a study. I guess the larger issue is that satire and irony is lost on certain segments of the population, not that there is anything wrong with that, and not that all conservatives don't get it.

Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking

Last week, Stephen Colbert revisited a segment he had done on Florida Representative Bill Posey, who sponsored a bill that "would require future presidential candidates to provide a copy of their original birth certificate," in order to put insane rumors of President Barack Obama's birthplace to bed.

Colbert thought a similar measure should be taken to end the whisperings that Posey was a human-alligator hybrid. Posey, in response to Colbert, said, "I expected there would be some civil debate about it, but it wasn't civil...There is no reason to say that I'm the illegitimate grandson of an alligator." And one wondered, "Does Posey not realize that Colbert is not speaking in earnest? His reaction seems uniquely stupid!"

Stupid, yes. But apparently it's not unique at all, according to a study from The Ohio State University, which proves, with math and stuff, that lots of conservatives seem to not understand the intrinsic, underlying joke of The Colbert Report:

This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

MBTI
    IsTP

Classic they're not laughing with you, they're laughing at you.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

see, this works well with my theory that Coulter is satiring, as well - the right is dense to this kind of thing, thusly she gets away with it. There's no way in hell that woman believes what she espouses.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Polemicists (even humorists) rarely get behind the full hurricane of what they're selling.

They identify a marketing niche, and carve a controversial identity as a means to capitalize on whatever pulpit they're trying to profit by antagonizing. Alice Cooper is an early example of this 'sensationalism' approach. Howard Stern. Marilyn Manson. Jon Stewart. Ann Coulter. Bill O'Reilly. Michael Moore. People like to get pissed off; it's a safe outlet to pacify whatever real anxieties they are otherwise unable to mend.

There's usually a certain nugget of personal identity these 'pop' personalities inject into their platform, but it rarely encapsulates the full scope of their message.

Interesting article, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    This is something I've suspected, but it's nice to finally see a study. I guess the larger issue is that satire and irony is lost on certain segments of the population, not that there is anything wrong with that, and not that all conservatives don't get it.

I don't think that satire and irony is lost on the republicans, it's reactionary in terms of how they process the satire and irony.

Dude trips and falls
    Friend: HAHAHAHA
    Dude: Ha..but, yeah, it's not that funny

As the study points out:
    we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology
    It's much easier, for most people, to get *into* a joke, when they're not the butt of the joke. Colbert's humour offers this to the democrats, but, not the republicans...
    So, although republicans think Colbert is funny, they think he's trying to cover the true 'insults/criticisms' using funny - i.e., defensive. While the Democrats think that the justified insults/criticisms have yet another great medium to be expressed - through funny. No defensive nor offensive. Just free run to enjoy the humour.

The guy, Jason Linkins, I don't think is fully understanding what the study is showing.

For example:
    Colbert thought a similar measure should be taken to end the whisperings that Posey was a human-alligator hybrid. Posey, in response to Colbert, said, "I expected there would be some civil debate about it, but it wasn't civil...There is no reason to say that I'm the illegitimate grandson of an alligator."
    The first time I read it, I interpreted as you did. Laughing my ass off, going 'what an idiot' towards Posey. But, what the Posey dude is trying to say is, I brought up a valid point/idea regarding birth certificates, you can engage in critical debate with me, but, to equal it to something as ridiculous as 'grandson of alligator' is uncalled for, in terms of commentary on what I proposed.

Him being the butt of the joke made him think the joke wasn't as funny, nor properly delivered. Unlike the reporter, Linkins, it's too presumptuous to establish if Posey understood it to be a joke (but, I can guarantee you he prolly did). Then again, Linkins is trying to make a funny himself, with the whole thing.

Ah...the layering of humour. And, the traps of offense laid in between.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I don't think that satire and irony is lost on the republicans, it's reactionary in terms of how they process the satire and irony.

Dude trips and falls
    Friend: HAHAHAHA
    Dude: Ha..but, yeah, it's not that funny

As the study points out:

It's much easier, for most people, to get *into* a joke, when they're not the butt of the joke. Colbert's humour offers this to the democrats, but, not the republicans...
    So, although republicants think Colbert is funny, they think he's trying to cover the true 'insults/criticisms' using funny - i.e., defensive. While the Democrats think that the justified insults/criticisms have yet another great medium to be expressed - through funny. No defensive nor offensive. Just free run to enjoy the humour.

The guy, Jason Linkins, I don't think is fully understanding what the study is showing.

For example:

The first time I read it, I interpreted as you did. Laughing my ass off, going 'what an idiot' towards Posey. But, what the Posey dude is trying to say is, I brought up a valid point/idea regarding birth certificates, you can engage in critical debate with me, but, to equal it to something as ridiculous as 'grandson of alligator' is uncalled for, in terms of commentary on what I proposed.

Him being the butt of the joke made him think the joke wasn't as funny, nor properly delivered. Unlike the reporter, Linkins, it's too presumptuous to establish if Posey understood it to be a joke (but, I can guarantee you he prolly did). Then again, Linkins is trying to make a funny himself, with the whole thing.

Ah...the layering of humour. And, the traps of offense laid in between.
    Yes, it must be hard to take in the show as a Republican. It's rapid fire liberal political messages cloaked in satire, and if they take the points raised seriously, they look like a douche, and if they try to hit back with humor, it will probably fall flat.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, it must be hard to take in the show as a Republican. It's rapid fire liberal political messages cloaked in satire, and if they take the points raised seriously, they look like a douche, and if they try to hit back with humor, it will probably fall flat.

It's harder to watch the show as a libertarian with high standards in comedy. At least it's funny from time to time. I watched The Daily Show the other day, and it's just sad how far that show has fallen.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's harder to watch the show as a libertarian with high standards in comedy. At least it's funny from time to time. I watched The Daily Show the other day, and it's just sad how far that show has fallen.
    Funny to you or funny in general? It gets great ratings and it's rare I hear someone with an actual critique of the comedy in the show, do you have one?

If I would criticize anything about the show, it would be its relentlessness liberal messages.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Funny to you or funny in general? It gets great ratings and it's rare I hear someone with an actual critique of the comedy in the show, do you have one?

If I would criticize anything about the show, it would be the constant liberal messages.

That doesn't bother me as much. It's easy to appreciate good art with left-wing messages (like The Clash, for instance; usually, the stupid message doesn't overwhelm the great music). The constant OTT attitude is wearing. Also, parody works best when you are lampooning a person/genre you and the audience love, so you reference what is familiar, but you point out the ridiculous parts. Mel Brooks with the Western in Blazing Saddles, for instance. Colbert doesn't seem to care for O'Reilly, Scarborough, Dobbs, Olbermann (maybe Olbermann; he and Dobbs are the worst of all of them), and his audience probably doesn't, either. It comes through on the show. The loud voice, raised eyebrow crap is just not that funny.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That doesn't bother me as much. It's easy to appreciate good art with left-wing messages (like The Clash, for instance; usually, the stupid message doesn't overwhelm the great music). The constant OTT attitude is wearing. Also, parody works best when you are lampooning a person/genre you and the audience love, so you reference what is familiar, but you point out the ridiculous parts. Mel Brooks with the Western in Blazing Saddles, for instance. Colbert doesn't seem to care for O'Reilly, Scarborough, Dobbs, Olbermann (maybe Olbermann; he and Dobbs are the worst of all of them), and his audience probably doesn't, either. It comes through on the show. The loud voice, raised eyebrow crap is just not that funny.
    Political satire is rarely about objects of affection. Parody and imitation does work best when the subject is endearing, with political satire, it's not required. It serves to point out human folly with humor. His character is secondary.