User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Political satire is rarely about object of affection. Parody and imitation does work best when the subject is endearing, with political satire, it's not required. It serves to point out human folly with humor. His character is secondary.

I disagree. Parody is parody. You ridicule because something is ridiculous. If you genuinely hate the object, you end up missing the point. Here's a good example: George W. Bush impersonators. Why is Frank Caliendo's impersonation better than James Adomian's? Because you can tell that Caliendo actually enjoys mimicing/poking fun at his subject. Adomian is too busy making Bush sound stupider than he even is to engage the audience. Colbert's character on his show is just off-putting, and the writing of the show is really uneven. You don't want to watch what is ostensibly a comedy show and not laugh for several minutes at a time. That is death.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I disagree. Parody is parody. You ridicule because something is ridiculous. If you genuinely hate the object, you end up missing the point. Here's a good example: George W. Bush impersonators. Why is Frank Caliendo's impersonation better than James Adomian's? Because you can tell that Caliendo actually enjoys mimicing/poking fun at his subject. Adomian is too busy making Bush sound stupider than he even is to engage the audience. Colbert's character on his show is just off-putting, and the writing of the show is really uneven. You don't want to watch what is ostensibly a comedy show and not laugh for several minutes at a time. That is death.
    What makes Bush impersonations funny is the exaggeration, making him sound stupider than he is. That's the whole point! You exaggerate their weaknesses. Frank Caliendo sucks! But this all might make sense, I don't know any ESFJ Colbert fans.

You've said you like Dennis Miller, his political satire is more angry than most.

MBTI
    INTP

Now that I think of it, sensors might appreciate accurate impersonations that pay close attention to detail more while intuitives might enjoy impersonations that go further and represent a more absurd mocking critique of that person in exchange for losing some accurate likeness.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Now that I think of it, sensors might appreciate accurate impersonations that pay close attention to detail more while intuitives might enjoy impersonations that go further and represent a more absurd mocking critique of that person in exchange for losing some accurate likeness.

I don't think that really has much to do with it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't think that really has much to do with it.
    Sensors pay more attention to detail, intuitives, to concepts and ideas. That has all to do with the different kinds of humor and art.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Sensors pay more attention to detail, intuitives, to concepts and ideas. That has all to do with the different kinds of humor and art.

I know what you are saying, but I think that you are off-base with what you said specifically there. I don't think that's true.

MBTI
    IsTP

I find Colbert quite amusing. Obviously it's a matter of taste not type.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ESFJ

What makes Bush impersonations funny is the exaggeration, making him sound stupider than he is. That's the whole point! You exaggerate their weaknesses. Frank Caliendo sucks! But this all might make sense, I don't know any ESFJ Colbert fans.

You've said you like Dennis Miller, his political satire is more angry than most.

I don't enjoy Frank Caliendo; his show is awful (and I made myself watch it once). I am just saying that his impersonation is better than someone else's, because it is. I enjoyed Colbert in the old Even Steven bits on The Daily Show. His show is just tiresome most of the time I watch it. It has nothing to do with type. It's whether someone is funny. As for Dennis Miller, I think he's gotten less funny as he's gotten angrier. His radio show is pretty good, though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think Colbert is pretty funny. The type of humor is very ridiculous (and often nonsense), which I like. It also helps that I sympathize with the political viewpoint.

This article is not surprising. I remember having an argument with both my conservative father and sister a couple of years ago about Colbert's political ideology. They simply could not comprehend that Colbert was not conservative. My sister, in particular, told me that she thought Colbert was conservative because he worships Bill O'Reilly on the show. I was baffled that she did not pick up on the fact that his "Papa Bear" worship is supposed to be ironic. I felt embarrassed even having to point this out to her because it is so obvious. As for my father...pfft, I didn't even bother arguing with him futher (it couldn't have turned out well for either of us, so I stopped and carried it on with my sister elsewhere).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

i love colbert and caliendo, but only catch them on hulu/youtube from time to time. my conservative friends usually either don't like colbert (understatement), or don't get him, for whatever reason.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com