User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Torture

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Cutting and pasting from a media kit highlighting dubious achievements (from their own website) does not change what I wrote. And I already said that the one good thing is the WHO, so not sure what to make of all this. I stand by my original statement, and I made that decision already knowing the things that you listed above.
    There's no point, jen. 'blaise OD'd on the Kool-Aid long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I have no qualms against using torture, I also dont believe people are born with inherit rights just cause their human.

Torture, as horrible as it is, if used correctly can be a great tool. Not just for its use in gaining information, but also as an intimidation factor. War is war.

Ill quote my own sig just to make my point again.

"In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory."-Adolf Hitler
    It doesn't matter whether torture works or not.

It is a criminal offence.

And it is important to keep in mind that torture hasn't been sanctioned at the official government level in Common Law countries since 1642 - with one exception.

And torture is a violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It doesn't matter whether torture works or not.
    That would be a difference in opinion.
    And? So is murder but that doesnt stop the people declaring war on us rather in secret or in the open. The same people torture would help stop.

And it is important to keep in mind that torture hasn't been sanctioned at the official government level in Common Law countries since 1642 - with one exception.
    What mama dont know wont hurt her.

And torture is a violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexis
    I also dont believe people are born with inherit rights just cause their human.
    SDMF

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    That would be a difference in opinion.
    And? So is murder but that doesnt stop the people declaring war on us rather in secret or in the open. The same people torture would help stop.

What mama dont know wont hurt her.
    Well, you have put yourself firmly on the side of criminality.

Unless of course you are playing games with us.

And I suspect that is the case.

You present yourself as criminal but you are only a game player.

And such game playing is anti-social and psychopathic.

MBTI
    INTP

firstly, there are varying levels of torture. there are the extreme methods, inflicting permanent physical damage. and then there are other non-permanent methods that do no permanent physical damage, like sleep deprevation, waterboarding and humiliation. i am perfectly fine with the second group.

secondly, how should we be interrogating enemies of the state that have information that could potentially save the lives of your fellow countrymen? throw flowers on them while dancing seductively around a candle lit room with incense burning in the air?
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well, you have put yourself firmly on the side of criminality.
    Ok, i am now officially astounded by your logic. Would I torture someone for information to save lives? Yes. Would I kill to save the life of my son? A million times. Does that make me a criminal? Then so fucking be it.

Unless of course you are playing games with us.
    Checkmate

You present yourself as criminal but you are only a game player.
    And such game playing is anti-social and psychopathic.
    So now your calling me a psycopath. This is fantastic. When you can put coherent thoughts into a complete paragraph get back to me.
    SDMF

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    firstly, there are varying levels of torture. there are the extreme methods, inflicting permanent physical damage. and then there are other non-permanent methods that do no permanent physical damage, like sleep deprevation, waterboarding and humiliation. i am perfectly fine with the second group.

secondly, how should we be interrogating enemies of the state that have information that could potentially save the lives of your fellow countrymen? throw flowers on them while dancing seductively around a candle lit room with incense burning in the air?
    Criminality is criminality.

Who know perhaps one day your criminals will find themselves in jurisdiction that will prosecute them.

Already warrents have been issued for the arrest of the Head of State of Sudan.

Perhaps your criminals will have to think twice before they travel overseas.

MBTI
    INTj

Criminality is criminality.
    Reciprocity is the key here. Those who refuse to adhere to the rules of civilized combat are not entitled to the protections offered by the law. Why should it be any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Reciprocity is the key here. Those who refuse to adhere to the rules of civilized combat are not entitled to the protections offered by the law. Why should it be any other way?
    Because at our deepest cultural level and by formal Treaty we support the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

So to violate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights plays right into the hands of our enemies.

And you might remember that fifty-seven Islamic States have formally rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And for us to also reject our deepest held values will lead to our defeat.

MBTI
    INTj

Because at our deepest cultural level and by formal Treaty we support the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    We abhor violence. Yet it would be unthinkable to renounce violence as a mean to defend our values. To do so would result in a greater evil.
    So to violate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights plays right into the hands of our enemies.
    Adhering to the agreement does not result in any net benefit unless the enemy reciprocates. In fact, it would give an advantage to the other side.
    And you might remember that fifty-seven Islamic States have formally rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    Yes, but it's not because they value the infliction of suffering in itself. They simply embrace it as an effective mean to an end.