User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Default 2/3 vote requirement for congress bypassed by "Budget Bill" (Fast-Tract Health Bill)

Democrats near deal to fast-track health bill | U.S. | Reuters

"Democrats near deal to "fast-track" health bill

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Democrats are near a deal to ram through legislation overhauling the U.S. healthcare system, overriding Republican objections to one of President Barack Obama's top policy goals.

Party aides said on Friday Democratic leaders who control both chambers of Congress had reached a tentative agreement to fast-track a pending health package, which would prevent Republicans from blocking it.

The plan to push a healthcare package through Congress, which could be formally agreed upon next week as part of a final budget resolution, would enrage Republicans who had hoped to have a significant say in proposed changes to the $2.5 trillion healthcare industry.

"We are prepared to do this because we are not confident Republicans are going to work with us," one party aide said. "This is the direction we're heading," another aide said.

Obama and fellow Democrats in Congress aim to pass by the end of the year a sweeping measure to revamp the healthcare system and provide insurance to all Americans. Major fights over costs and the role of government in individuals' medical care are certain.

The tentative agreement on using a fast-track procedure was reached among Democratic leaders from the Senate and the House of Representatives and their appointed negotiators, who are now working to combine budget proposals passed by each chamber.

Democrats enjoy a solid majority in the House and can pass legislation there at will. In the 100-seat Senate, however, they command 58 votes and normally need at least two Republicans to join them if they are to reach the 60-vote majority needed to overcome procedural hurdles.

The fast-track option, known as "reconciliation," would attach budget protections to healthcare reform legislation that is expected to move through Congress later this year. Budget bills can pass with a simple 51 vote majority in the Senate and are not threatened by procedural hurdles.

Democrats have argued it is a way to overcome Republican objections, which have centered on a proposal to establish a public health insurance plan. Republican say such a plan would drive private insurers out of business, but Democrats say it would inject needed competition into the insurance market.

Republicans, who already have accused Obama's Democrats of ditching all pretense of bipartisanship, reacted angrily.

"Fast-tracking a major legislative overhaul such as health care reform or a new national energy tax without the benefit of a full and transparent debate does a disservice to the American people," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement.

"And it would make it absolutely clear they (Democrats) intend to carry out their plans on a purely partisan basis," McConnell said.

Several key Democrats have also objected to the fast-track plan, including Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus who on Friday told reporters he wanted broad bipartisan support to provide a "much more sustainable" result.

"If we jam something down somebody's throat it is not sustainable," Baucus said.

There are competing theories on the threat of invoking the fast-track procedure. Some Senate aides said it may prompt Republicans to work with Democrats while other say it will make them so angry that they will essentially boycott talks."

What are your thoughts on the politics invovled? and the "competing theories"?

Oberon

Crap. This is a great recipe for bad law.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Sounds good. Pretty much everyone wants health care reform, which would include public health insurance. Public health insurance coverage is cheaper than outrageously expensive private coverage.

Robert Creamer: Poll: 73% of Voters Think Health Care Reform Must Include Choice of a Public Health Insurance Plan

MBTI
    ESFJ

Congress should never be able to "ram through" anything. That's the whole point of separation of powers: to restrain the government from making law quickly and rashly. On a more practical note, Republicans have long memories, and, when they inevitably take control of Congress again, they will probably use the same tactic for a piece of legislation that might be even worse than this one.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sounds good. Pretty much everyone wants health care reform, which would include public health insurance. Public health insurance coverage is cheaper than outrageously expensive private coverage.

Robert Creamer: Poll: 73% of Voters Think Health Care Reform Must Include Choice of a Public Health Insurance Plan
    Damn, partisan behavior over country, this isn't a good precedent, that should be obvious.

If 73% of Americans felt that way, I'm sure it can be passed through non underhanded methods.

As for the actually health care what would come out of this, I see this ending up to something similar to the NHS.

Mum-to-be refused free NHS maternity dental care after staff said bump, ultrasound and doctor's notes are NOT proof she's pregnant | Mail Online

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Damn, partisan behavior over country, this isn't a good precedent, that should be obvious.

If 73% of Americans felt that way, I'm sure it can be passed through non underhanded methods.

As for the actually health care what would come out of this, I see this ending up to something similar to the NHS.

Mum-to-be refused free NHS maternity dental care after staff said bump, ultrasound and doctor's notes are NOT proof she's pregnant | Mail Online
    Or we could end up like the healthiest nations in the world, which all have universal health care.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Or we could end up like the healthiest nations in the world, which all have universal health care.
    The US is much closer to Britain in behavior, health issues, and societal constructs than any other European country. Hence, I'm guessing our system would end up similar to Britainís.

But that doesn't really matter, perhaps Obama can make it perfect and flawless, a health care sytem that can cover eveyone in a country this large, its always possible.

I'm more curious on your response to the first issue I brought up.

MBTI
    INTP

The US is much closer to Britain in behavior, health issues, societal constructs than any other European country. Hence, I'm guessing our system would end up similar to Britainís.

But that doesn't really matter, perhaps Obama can make it perfect.

I'm more curious on your response to the first issue I brought up.
    About partisan behavior? Republicans don't want universal coverage, it's a partisan issue to begin with. This is how multi-party systems work.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

About partisan behavior? Republicans don't want universal coverage, it's a partisan issue to begin with. This is how multi-party systems work.
    Partisan behavior always happens, but it shouldn't come before country (hence my original statement), and what I mean by that is violating constitutional restraints by using underhanded methods to get bills pass.

MBTI
    INTP

Partisan behavior always happens, but it shouldn't come before country (hence my original statement), and what I mean by that is violating constitutional restraints by using underhanded methods to get bills pass.
    Reconciliation is allowed. And the country wants this health care reform, so this is putting country first.