User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Nancy Reagan!?

Ever see a picture of her when she was in her thirties? It's not her fault her husband was old as dirt when he was finally elected.

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Being friends with radicals is not the issue, granting legitimacy to, and signifying agreement with, those views by patronizing a specific church is. And Michelle Obama does not lack capacity for pride in this or any other country (she herself said that she had become proud of the United States), she just didn't think it desrved her pride until now. Do I think she's a closet Hugo Chavez? Not really. Do I think she does does not appreciate the United States and cherish its defining characteristics to a degree that I think is appropriate in a First Lady? Yes.
    Maybe when growing up as a black women at the time she did, you are introduced to more of the negatives about America than a typical white middle-class person.

A closet Hugo Chavez? He's actually quite open to becoming better friends with the US, as is Cuba and seemingly the whole southern region.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Maybe when growing up as a black women at the time she did, you are introduced to more of the negatives about America than a typical white middle-class person.

A closet Hugo Chavez? He's actually quite open to becoming better friends with the US, as is Cuba and seemingly the whole southern region.

I don't know about that. Chavez seems to being playing a little good cop (him) and bad cop (Daniel Ortega, who is taking a major left (re)turn). We shall see what happens once Obama does something he really doesn't like.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I think the black community doesn't mind at all that she is more whitewashed than the stereotype. I actually think they prefer it that way and think she's a positive representative for them.
    I really can't stand it when people speak of a "black community". Is there a "white community"? Didn't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I must take issue with one thing: calling Michelle Obama "beautiful." That woman is unfortunate-looking.
    Everyone is entitled to their preferences. I personally don't feel that she is good looking, but I can see why people think she is an attractive woman.

That article was a huge waste of time.

To answer binary number's question, I doubt that very many people obsessing over Michelle Obama's fashion sense would prefer that she was a loud, fat woman. And, except for her anti-American streak, exactly what is it about Michelle Obama that's supposed to be so different from the (white) middle-class norm, anyways?
    Hmmm... Ok, if you think she's anti-American, I won't argue with that. But do you really think that white middle-class people are different from that? I don't know - I grew up around pretty normal white people that challenged the government and stated things about America and its policies that were worse than Rev. Wright did. I learned more about American Cultural Imperialism from middle class whites than I ever did from any black preacher ever. The implication that middle class whites aren't "anti-Americans" or that black people who express dissent, in fact, are "anti-Americans" is comical. Back to the drawing board with that argument, ok?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I really can't stand it when people speak of a "black community". Is there a "white community"? Didn't think so...
    It's valid from a sociological point of view. The white community is just more broad and harder to peg, which is why it's broken down even further (white Catholics, white Protestants, white conservatives (aren't they all white?) etc.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It's valid from a sociological point of view. The white community is just more broad and harder to peg, which is why it's broken down even further (white Catholics, white Protestants, white conservatives (aren't they all white?) etc.)
    That's bs and is not valid. The "black community" is not less broad than their counterparts. A black (or multi racial person - still called "black") from Connecticut has little in common with a black person from Arkansas. Believe me, there are no community conventions. My point is that whites enjoy the luxury of having different types of white, but blacks don't.

Whites are called Americans. Blacks are called African-Americans and that negates the fact that most blacks here are in fact American and have never stepped foot in Africa.

End this now, please.

MBTI
    INTP

That's bs and is not valid. The "black community" is not less broad than their counterparts. A black (or multi racial person - still called "black") from Connecticut has little in common with a black person from Arkansas. Believe me, there are no community conventions. My point is that whites enjoy the luxury of having different types of white, but blacks don't.

Whites are called Americans. Blacks are called African-Americans and that negates the fact that most blacks here are in fact American and have never stepped foot in Africa.

End this now, please.
    This is just how sociology works, you break people up into groups. And people of the same ethnicity still tend to live in closer proximity to each other. Though there are more definitions of community than a common living location.

It's not suppose to be an exact science or anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

This is just how sociology works, you break people up into groups. And people of the same ethnicity still tend to live in closer proximity to each other. Though there are more definitions of community than a common living location.

It's not suppose to be an exact science or anything.
    But you qualified white people as being catholic, protestant, etc... which presumes the fact that black people can not have the same distinctions. Just because there are more white people here, doesn't mean that black people are less varied, they are just less populous. So again, this argument is bs.

There are many different types of black people, hate to break it to ya.

MBTI
    INTP

But you qualified white people as being catholic, protestant, etc... which presumes the fact that black people can not have the same distinctions. Just because there are more white people here, doesn't mean that black people are less varied, they are just less populous. So again, this argument is bs.

There are many different types of black people, hate to break it to ya.
    I said white Catholics, as opposed to black Catholics. Of course black people can have the same distinctions, it just doesn't make sense to classify Catholic vs. Protestant blacks as much as it does with whites.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I said white Catholics, as opposed to black Catholics. Of course black people can have the same distinctions, it just doesn't make sense to classify Catholic vs. Protestant blacks as much as it does with whites.
    No you didn't say that, you said that whites are more broad, thus harder to peg. Meaning that it's harder to call them a community.

And it DOES make sense to use the same classifications. Black catholics from the northeast are extremely different from black southern baptists. Blacks are varied and diverse, just like whites. The community is humanity.

From a sociological standpoint, it makes more sense to qualify based on economic status, rather than race. A poor white southerner has more in common with a poor black southerner than he does with a rich, ivy league educated black person from California.

In your quest to win this argument, you are ignoring the facts. Whatever, I've made my point - take it or leave it.