User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Default Obama's education plan

You guys have heard about this already, I have no doubt.

8+ hours of schooling? Plus Homework?

Kids now have longer hours than some adults.

Understanding Obama's education vision - First Read - msnbc.com
    Duncan (Obama's chief educational adviser) wants 8am to 8 pm for classes.

At this point the state is raising and babysitting the children themselves. The state would be the sole caretaker, moral law giver, and social educator. This is ridiculous.

Obama supporters are this really the solution?

I'm not sure if this is to bridge the gap between successful parenting and unsuccessful parenting, or a way for parents to pass on some of their responsibilities to the state.

I'm in college now as well as part of the Golden Key International Honors Society (lol, got my bragging done). So, I can tell you in high school no matter your fiscal status, if you wanted to learn, you could. The people I went to high school with were the same people that I went to elementary with, so I know most of them and their families, and I can tell you self motivation was the biggest key to success. Also if school ranged from 8 to 8 (look at the link), I would have been denied educational activities that I took part in after school, my informal education (reading books and online readings) would have been denied, or not of my choosing. Some parents actually do take time to teach and educate their children.

Also the bias that occurs in school is plain atrocious, that focuses more on political stances than educational material, that if the chance was given rather have my kid to a private school, than public education. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been harassed. Since my experience is limited to Ca, it’s very possible this behavior is only in Ca as that is all I can personally speak on about, but I doubt that.
    Student Sues, Says Prof Called Him a "Fascist Bastard" | NBC Los Angeles
    YouTube - Swedish TV shows teacher supporting Obama, browbeating student who supports McCain(read text)
    YouTube - Uni Prof Bullies Conservative Students
    YouTube - YCT at UTSA Face Liberal Extremists

lol, I know what your thinking “finally this windbag is getting to the dam question” or something more colorful.

I agree summer schools should be introduced again to a point where it can be used to get ahead and not just for mistakes (at least that is how it is in my area). I agree that “some” kids may actually need school 24/7. I agree that something needs to happen to improve education. I agree.

Now

How far does state intervention need to go? And when did self motivation become an unfair advantage?

Is this the only and best solution?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

You don't need longer hours... you need more effective and enthusiastic teachers. Teachers who'll push the kids to do the best they can at their current level. Not just good enough to make a bar set far too low.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait, so would kids have to stay there from 8 to 8, or would you have homeless people wandering around the school because it was a community center now from 8 to 8?

Because at my school, a good number of kids already stay there until about 6 or even 9 out of choice for the million after school activities, so I imagine for a lot of them, their lives wouldn't change much. But won't someone think of the teachers if we had that ridiculously long school day? I mean, they're working their asses that long already getting lesson plans and grading and all other such bullshit done that they have to for the school. You'd be giving them 18 hour days then!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Ughhhhhhh......
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

As a teenager, I was only awake for about 14 hours a day. That would have left me 2 hours to get to and from school, do my homework, and attend to hygiene. Add to that the severe fatigue I was struggling with, and it would have killed me.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Did you actually read the article? It states that the idea is to turn schools into community centers, especially in communities where there are none. The idea isn't to force children to stay in school from 8am to 8pm, but to have the school available most days for children to use as a community facility. It even states that the idea would be to have outside agencies, like the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, come in and teach classes for interested students.

I don't really think this is a bad idea. Making the school the center of the community, as opposed to the mall, is probably a good thing. It's not like kids would stay until 8:00 every evening, but the school could be a place that is open for kids to go when they need to. Yes, it is setting the school up as a sort of nanny for kids who have parents who aren't home, but I personally feel it's better to have the school be the place where they are, at least with some supervision, as opposed to just letting them go off and get into trouble.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Did you actually read the article? It states that the idea is to turn schools into community centers, especially in communities where there are none. The idea isn't to force children to stay in school from 8am to 8pm.
    I'm assuming you didn't look at Obama's education bill, notice I said 8+ hours of school, not 12 as defined by 8 to 8 (I'm assuming you can look up a bill with little ease vs a goal by Obama's educational advisor). Obama wants to increase the school hours, initiate performance based pay for teachers (this piece is a good thing), among other things, but he definitely wants to increase school daily hours, and the school year.

You can argue for or against such, but please, do basic research before criticizing my claims as invalid

http://obama.3cdn.net/a8dfc36246b3dcc3cb_iem6bxpgh.pdf

top of page 12

MBTI
    ENFJ

Umm, I already go to school for about eight hours a day...

However. There is one thing that I find ridiculous in this country, and that is what's expected of college-bound students. Student council, service hours, and sports, all on top of top grades and hours and hours of homework a night.

Can we fix this? Please?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Umm, I already go to school for about eight hours a day...
    hence 8+, its not defined how long it may actually be, just that it would be a minimal of an hour more to a max of 4 hours more.

Also the plans are not finalized obviously; it is still under construction, with conflicts emerging from what they want, and what will pass.

And the longer school year is target more at students in need, but the longer hours are planned for everyone.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

I also like to point out, not everything about Obama's educational plan is bad, I'm just pointing out a part which I think restricts individual learning.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    However. There is one thing that I find ridiculous in this country, and that is what's expected of college-bound students. Student council, service hours, and sports, all on top of top grades and hours and hours of homework a night.

Can we fix this? Please?
    lol, your talking about the 100 hours of community and military service that is requried? Right?

Assuming we are still on topic of Obama's educational policies.