User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default When did History begin?

I never really put much thought into it myself. I know there are competing theories out there. I just came across this video:

Video Link

Got me thinking a little bit, especially because if most of us were raised through the public school system, it seems they present the scientific explanation of earth's age/creation with the same amount of fact as "A is for Apple." If it's just a theory that can't be proven, why don't they balance it out with competing theories like the one in that video? What do you think? Should it be an issue? Or does it even matter to you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

History is only a record of past events which is subject to our interpretation.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    That's one definition. But here I'm looking more at history as the aggregate of past events.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Everything that has come to pass is history, wether we know that history or not.

So, depending on what you believe, history could be anything from infinite with no start to God figuring out a way to spend his leisure time.

The question as to when history began does not have an answer we can know for sure, and is thus open for interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyPaste View Post
    I never really put much thought into it myself. I know there are competing theories out there. I just came across this video:

Video Link

Got me thinking a little bit, especially because if most of us were raised through the public school system, it seems they present the scientific explanation of earth's age/creation with the same amount of fact as "A is for Apple." If it's just a theory that can't be proven, why don't they balance it out with competing theories like the one in that video? What do you think? Should it be an issue? Or does it even matter to you?
    My guess is that the video was made by someone who has never read, "The Origin of Species".

For the, "Origin of Species", says absolutely nothing about the origin of life.

And the, "Origin of Species", no more says we are descended from monkeys then it says monkeys are descended from us.

In fact the video is a hoary old confidence trick called, "The straw man trick".

But let me guess again - I guess you have never read, "The Origin of Species", either.

So I think the very interesting question is - why not?

I mean, are you deliberately ignorant?

Or are you deliberately setting up a straw man you can knock down?

Or do you think we are complete fools to listen to you argue about a book you haven't even read?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Right after pre-history ended.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But let me guess again - I guess you have never read, "The Origin of Species", either.

So I think the very interesting question is - why not?

I mean, are you deliberately ignorant?

Or are you deliberately setting up a straw man you can knock down?

Or do you think we are complete fools to listen to you argue about a book you haven't even read?
    Oh, the irony... pardon me, I must go beat my head against a wall.

And no, it has nothing to do with you, Victor. Not your fault at all.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Only as far back as can be proven by what we can externally sense. But even that could have been edited by intuitives over time. Yes. Intuitives could have manipulated the DNA of the mamoth back then. In other words, right about 2 min ago to intuitives and at about 35,000 BC to the others.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

History began with language.

the numbers are so unrelated to the religious questions about how creation works. its an obfuscation, to make us believe that the numbers could be abused as an argument for the sudden willful dual creation.