User Tag List

Default A Woman's touch - when the twains shall meet?

Meeting the middle ground? Can it work?...or is it still just political flair, regardless of how you cut the cheese? Or...an idealistic gesture of a pipe dream?

Istanbul skyline gets woman's touch

Pioneering woman

Dealing with major projects is nothing new for Ms Fadillioglu, who has made her name designing hotels and homes for the super-rich, from Turkey to Europe, India to the Middle East.

But she admits the chance to be the first woman in Turkey to be in charge of building a mosque was the opportunity of a lifetime.

"When I was offered this project I cried," Ms Fadillioglu said.

The mosque was commissioned by a wealthy Arab Turkish family, as a memorial to their mother.

"I think what is exciting is that I am a woman," she said.

"Especially at a time when so much is being discussed wrongly of Islam not allowing women to have equal rights. The fact that a woman can build a mosque disproves this."
    She believes being a woman brings a different insight to building a mosque.

"I care more about the aesthetical side, I care more about the public, I try to give a place to be really left with God, rather than creating a symbol."

Despite Turkey's strictly secular status, much of the country remains religiously conservative, and the Sakirin Mosque is being built in one of the most religious parts of Istanbul.

Ms Fadillioglu admits she was expecting problems, but was pleasantly surprised.

"I did not face any problems whatsoever. I was more scared myself, I had the prejudice myself, that I would have problems. That's why I took very cautious steps and we worked as a team."

Ironically, she said she faced more problems from staunchly secular friends.

"People with Western values, they kept on asking me why I was building a mosque. People had all these confusions, that I was somehow selling out my secular ideals."

Fusion of influences

The aim of the Sakirin Mosque - combining the influences of the past and present, and East and West - has been a difficult balancing act, Ms Fadillioglu concedes.

[read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7636142.stm]

2 in 1 affair:
    Obama ends Europe trip with tour of Istanbul mosque
    Obama ends Europe trip with tour of Istanbul mosque

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Of course Turkey won't do anything to hinder her efforts, else they would lose their chance at joining the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Of course Turkey won't do anything to hinder her efforts, else they would lose their chance at joining the EU.
    Do you think her work, as a gesture, would have some echo to the larger international Islamic population (beyond Turkey)? Acceptance? Criticism? Reactionary?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Do you think her work, as a gesture, would have some echo to the larger international Islamic population (beyond Turkey)? Acceptance? Criticism? Reactionary?
    To the larger population? I would with confidence say no, Afghanistan just legalized marital rape. And Turkey is thy most secular of the Islamic countries.

The countries where it might spread to next though would be Saudi Arabia, but Iím not placing bets.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I don't think the event is significant enough to attract a strong or widely-shared reaction...though no reasonable person would percieve Mohammed cartoons as a crime, much less a crime of such heinous proportions that riots are called for, so who knows?