First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    The two ARE conceptually related, not as much through the one issue of taxation without representation, but the other issues that abounded the era of the American Revolution. I'll leave it to your ability to connect (or not) the dots.
    So they're related just because they both involve protest? What exactly is it about the spirit of the American Revolution that relates directly here? I guess I'm just too slow to figure this one out, so you'll have to help me.

If that's the case, though, that's quite a loose connection, and personally, I think it cheapens the spirit of the actual Boston Tea Party to arrogantly label their trivial little "boohoo we're rich and we hate taxes" protest in such a way.

Taxation without representation was the issue that motivated the Tea Party. These people were being taxed without being able to vote for or against the leaders who levied the taxes. What "other issues" was the Tea Party about, exactly?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So they're related just because they both involve protest? What exactly is it about the spirit of the American Revolution that relates directly here? I guess I'm just too slow to figure this one out, so you'll have to help me.

If that's the case, though, that's quite a loose connection, and personally, I think it cheapens the spirit of the actual Boston Tea Party to arrogantly label their trivial little "boohoo we're rich and we hate taxes" protest in such a way.

Taxation without representation was the issue that motivated the Tea Party. These people were being taxed without being able to vote for or against the leaders who levied the taxes. What "other issues" was the Tea Party about, exactly?
    Ah, lets see if I can give this a shot, obviously they do not feel like they are being represented, else they wouldn't be protesting, Obama won, something like 53 to 57% of the popular vote, which isn't much.

This isn't a direct reoccurrence, can parallels be made, yes, this be categorized as being on a smaller scale, (Boston tea party inhibited more violent behavior, this one didn't, the Boston tea party didn't have a vote, this country did, but a good portion are denied), but in a smaller scale parallels can be easily seen.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Ah, lets see if I can give this a shot, obviously they do not feel like they are being represented, else they wouldn't be protesting, Obama won, something like 53 to 57% of the popular vote, which isn't much.

This isn't a direct reoccurrence, can parallels be made, yes, this be categorized as being on a smaller scale, (Boston tea party inhibited more violent behavior, this one didn't, the Boston tea party didn't have a vote, this country did, but a good portion are denied), but in a smaller scale parallels can be easily seen.
    Losing an election doesn't mean you're not being represented. It just means you lost. The colonists responsible for the Boston Tea Party had no vote whatsoever. That's quite a difference.

When it's an issue where there are two popular competing stances and only one can be chosen, it's inevitable that a good portion will be denied their wishes. That's democracy.

They can protest all they want, but referencing the Boston Tea Party specifically is retarded.

Seriously, what parallels? The only connection you can draw here is "they were pissed off about something the government was doing and decided to protest." There are lots of ways you could label that without making yourself look like a blooming idiot for naming it the same thing as an historical event of far greater importance that occurred under completely different circumstances.

That's like protesting a local government decision to buy new buses and calling it the Rosa Parks Movement. I don't buy it.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you think it is only the "rich" who are protesting, then you have not been paying any attention.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Fair enough. Point about the name stands, though.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

^^you're right about it not just being the rich, but Sim is definitely correct in his assessment - there is no parallel.

I guess you've never heard of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Tucker Carlson, Neil Boortz, Michael Savage. or that guy on "Mad Money."

(Ann Coulter doesn't count because her entire professed political ideology is an act to sell books.)
    Yeah, they're all nutty. But Garofalo and Olbermann just pseudo-legitamized the Tea Party thing.

Don't the nut cases on both sides know that they're actually hurting their cause?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Don't the nut cases on both sides know that they're actually hurting their cause?
    For a lot of them, their "cause" is simply fattening their own wallet. And any and all attention usually helps with that.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

I guess you've never heard of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Tucker Carlson, Neil Boortz, Michael Savage. or that guy on "Mad Money."
    Olbermann is the worst on TV right now, except for maybe Lou Dobbs.

(Ann Coulter doesn't count because her entire professed political ideology is an act to sell books.)
    She's a loon, but her act sells, I guess.

No, that completely misses the point. He's not saying that people can't protest--that's fine and good--just that it's ridiculous to evoke the Boston Tea Party as if the two are conceptually related at all.
    And I disagree with that. Government run amok is government run amok.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Losing an election doesn't mean you're not being represented. It just means you lost. The colonists responsible for the Boston Tea Party had no vote whatsoever. That's quite a difference.

When it's an issue where there are two popular competing stances and only one can be chosen, it's inevitable that a good portion will be denied their wishes. That's democracy.

They can protest all they want, but referencing the Boston Tea Party specifically is retarded.

Seriously, what parallels? The only connection you can draw here is "they were pissed off about something the government was doing and decided to protest." There are lots of ways you could label that without making yourself look like a blooming idiot for naming it the same thing as an historical event of far greater importance that occurred under completely different circumstances.

That's like protesting a local government decision to buy new buses and calling it the Rosa Parks Movement. I don't buy it.

The United States is a republic, not a democracy. The winning side does NOT get to make all the rules, damn the consequences. There are things the government is simply not supposed to do.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"