User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Tax Day Tea Party Protests

So, many thousands of people will be out protesting tomorrow in nearly a thousand locations nation wide to protest government spending, the resulting taxes, and to uphold basic sustainable principles for the country. It will be interesting to see how little the mainstream media reports it, how it skews the issue. Is anyone (not sure why I'm asking) attending one of these protests tomorrow? They have about 4 that I know of set up just in San Diego county, and I intend to go to one of them.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Someone should tell these Tea Baggers that the Boston Tea Party was about taxation without representation.

They are using the name while skewing it's meaning to support right-wing politics. Since the Democrats fairly won these recent elections, the Tea Baggers need a viable political party, not a tea party.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Tea is good.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

As an active participant in all things political, I find these tax parties to be a stupid idea. I don't see what the point is - gov't spending is out of control, it's true, but it's not as if our taxes have gone up. And like blaise said, the original tea party actually was about representation (or terrorism, depending on how you view the issue). That being said, to each his/her own since we are guaranteed the right of assembly.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    That being said, to each his/her own since we are guaranteed the right of assembly.
    What's depressing is that the 'grassroots movement' is being set up by a bunch of lobbyists... supported by their influence of certain media segments. Pretty much the opposite of what it should stand for.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    What's depressing is that the 'grassroots movement' is being set up by a bunch of lobbyists... supported by their influence of certain media segments. Pretty much the opposite of what it should stand for.
    I HAVE NOT heard of these tax parties all being set up by lobbyists. The people who have been starting these up (the ones I've seen down here) have been average people, and average people attending them. This is not like the AIG protests organized by ACORN. I get tired of these arguments that get shot back and forth by both sides like perpetual endlessly reflecting mirrors oh hypocrisy. There are a lot of more conservative talk show hosts involved, but talk show hosts are regular people who happen to have a voice, and their voice resonates with most people like them, which is why the protests are growing so much.

And again, the protests aren't just about taxes, except in California where our taxes have gone up like you wouldn't believe in the past month and in the past decade. It's about the desire to reign in government spending and the corrupt politics that rules Washington and even state governments. People are just fed up with the condition of the system.

I don't particularly care what perspective you take, but if you have the slightest desire for accurate depictions of what is going on with this issue, I would avoid some media outlets like the plague.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It actually was started by lobbyists, but that's not the point.

All of these evils have been building for many years, coming to a head recently. We just elected a new president to supposedly deal with all of this. So why protest now? Why not before?? And why don't we give him a chance to see what he will do?

And more importantly, why didn't you just vote Libertarian, or for Ron Paul, in the first place? We had our chance to speak up!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It actually was started by lobbyists, but that's not the point.

All of these evils have been building for many years, coming to a head recently. We just elected a new president to supposedly deal with all of this. So why protest now? Why not before?? And why don't we give him a chance to see what he will do?

And more importantly, why didn't you just vote Libertarian, or for Ron Paul, in the first place? We had our chance to speak up!
    Because most people are varying degrees of stupid, ignorant, and apathetic, and those diseases aren't abated until the population is faced with a crisis situation. Then people wake up, wise up, and start doing what they should've been doing long ago. I thought that was obvious...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I wish the tea partiers the best. Let's start another civil war too - It'll be just like Halo. Red vs. Blue.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Because most people are varying degrees of stupid, ignorant, and apathetic, and those diseases aren't abated until the population is faced with a crisis situation. Then people wake up, wise up, and start doing what they should've been doing long ago. I thought that was obvious...
    Agreed - I just think they are doing the wrong thing. But whatever, I hope that everyone involved at least walks away with a feeling of accomplishment. It is, after all, better than nothing.