User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default ANOTHER innocent elderly person killed because of the Drug War

Black man's killing by police shakes La. town

This is disgusting, and it happens with frequency in our country. This should have everyone who cares about civil liberties up in arms.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

wait, how is this due to the drug war? I don't see the connection from that article alone...

and what if my philosophical concern for civil liberties is overruled here by the fact that human beings make poor decisions in these kinds of situation? this is about the failure of human cognition to calm down the officers in question, which is, unfortunately, typically human. If this should arouse any RABBLE RABBLE, it should be for more research into safer and more effective policing strategies/training

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    wait, how is this due to the drug war? I don't see the connection from that article alone...
    The police were following the man's son after a suspected drug deal, and they fired on the man through his door when they thought he was pointing a gun at them.

and what if my philosophical concern for civil liberties is overruled here by the fact that human beings make poor decisions in these kinds of situation? this is about the failure of human cognition to calm down the officers in question, which is, unfortunately, typically human. If this should arouse any RABBLE RABBLE, it should be for more research into safer and more effective policing strategies/training
    The police do not want to do that. They have been militarized in their training, especially when it comes to drug interdiction. Have you seen how many botched drug raids have happened in this country in the past twenty years? Dozens of people and pets killed, wounded, or imprisoned for firing on police who didn't announce themselves, millions of dollars in damages, communities in fear. It's a shameful blight on law enforcement.

MBTI
    INxJ

LA has an atypical percentage of murder fatalities. People take risks by living in certain areas. At least, it wasn't a child. An elderly person has had the chance to live. If this becomes an injustice on a large scale in which causation is proven, than it becomes a civil liberty issue for a bigger audience.

MBTI
    INTP

tragic? yes.

racist? i'd need to see more evidence of such behavior.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    enfp

has anyone heard of the drug ibogaine? it was discovered by a heroin addict in the 60's.
    he took it thinking it to be a trip and it was but of a different kind. he found that his withdrawal from heroin disappeared. it is illegal in america because the government are retards. there are currently treatment centres in southamerica and the uk and europe.
    check it out on utube.and spread the word!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    tragic? yes.

racist? i'd need to see more evidence of such behavior.

Who in here said anything about racism? I mean, police do profile minorities when it comes to drug-related crime (and judges tend to sentence them more harshly for drug convictions), but I was not trying to make any sort of simple point about race. I specifically left the victim's race out of the thread title because it's not the important part of the story, no matter what Al Sharpton says. If they find out that the cops did plant a gun or lied about the chain of events, I hope that they're all arrested and convicted of manslaughter and making false statements.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Who in here said anything about racism? I mean, police do profile minorities when it comes to drug-related crime (and judges tend to sentence them more harshly for drug convictions), but I was not trying to make any sort of simple point about race. I specifically left the victim's race out of the thread title because it's not the important part of the story, no matter what Al Sharpton says. If they find out that the cops did plant a gun or lied about the chain of events, I hope that they're all arrested and convicted of manslaughter and making false statements.
    i was referring to the attitude of the article itself, which blatantly stirred racial tensions.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    i was referring to the attitude of the article itself, which blatantly stirred racial tensions.
    I don't think the article was that bad. Just reporting straight what is said by people who always play up the race angle can make an article sound exploitative, even if it's unintentional.