User Tag List

123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Good economic news (4/10/09)

There's been lots of good economic news in the last couple days, with positive signs that we will ward off a real depression and that the recession might be coming to an end soon.

May 19 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy will probably exit from a recession by the end of the next quarter as credit markets improve after a year of turmoil, according to a survey by the National Association for Business Economics.
    U.S. Recession to End by September, Business Economists Say - Bloomberg.com

Thanks to a bank-led rally Thursday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average did in fact record its fifth straight weekly gain. The index was up 246.27 points, or 3.1%, to 8083.38 during the session, giving it an increase for the week of 65.79 points, or 0.8%.

Of the 30 stocks, 26 rose, three fell, and one, Coca-Cola (KO Quote), ended flat.

Bank of America (BAC Quote) was the best performer on a percentage basis, up a staggering 35.3% at $9.55. American Express (AXP Quote) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM Quote) rose more than 19% each. Citigroup (C Quote) added 12.6%.
    Dow Watch: Bank of America, Citi Surge | The Market Update | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Wells Fargo & Co said it expects to post a record $3 billion first-quarter profit, causing its shares to soar 31.7 percent and providing a welcome jolt to the stock market and a still-troubled banking sector.
    Wells Fargo shocks market with record profit

U.S. stocks jumped in active trading Thursday, driven by financial stocks after Wells Fargo (WFC) projected better-than-expected first-quarter earnings.

Some surprisingly good economic data also propelled stocks higher before Easter weekend. Traders were encouraged by news that the U.S. trade deficit shrank more than expected and import prices fell. Initial jobless claims fell, but continuing claims rose to a record high.
    Stocks Rally on Wells Fargo News, Data - BusinessWeek

April 10 (Bloomberg) -- Asian stocks rose to a three-month high after a drop in U.S. jobless claims boosted confidence the global recession is easing and brokerages upgraded carmakers.
    Asia Stocks Rise on Falling U.S. Jobless Claims, Auto Upgrades - Bloomberg.com

Some of the most hopeful signs that the economy is beginning to stabilize come from two key areas: consumer spending and housing. This week's economic reports will provide updates on both that will help to determine if recent signs of bottoming out are for real or just a head fake.
    Vital Signs: Spending and Housing Show Recovery - BusinessWeek

April 10 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar advanced against the euro, heading for the biggest weekly gain in three months, on speculation the worst of the financial crisis in the world’s largest economy is over.

The Dollar Index completed its largest weekly advance since November after Wells Fargo & Co.’s profit beat estimates yesterday, triggering the steepest gain on record in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Banks Index. The euro headed for its biggest weekly decline versus the yen since January on concern the European Central Bank will keep cutting interest rates to spur growth.
    Dollar Advances on Optimism Worst of U.S. Economic Crisis Over - Bloomberg.com

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

/start rant

You know, 90% of the entire ressession has been nothing but air anyhow.

I regularly shift quite a bit of money in the economy. And what I've seen is that big concerns abuse the distress and fear by leaking out information of jobs that would need to be cut, etc. And tada, they get financial support. Next to that, most of the companies that have fallen (here at least) were already uberly shitty runned in the first place and weren't healthy before the recession. And now they blow the fuse and blame it on the recession. Again, in the hopes of financial support.

I'm not an economist, but one thing I do know. If everyone just keeps consuming the way they would without the recession it will stabilize out of itself. That right there is a fact.

My biggest regret in my line of work is that I see tons of corruption and fraude happening in such large quantities, but am powerless to act against it. Companies that uses subsidy profits to other parts of their company to cash in double on their products. Politics that make uninformed descisions concerned the market that poisons the system. Companies with leases and loans that are forced to run at bottom non-profitable prices in order to keep existing and large structures abusing the situation of smaller companies in that regard for their own profit by functioning as an extra middle man. Higher prices, lower quality.

You know, the recession is bogus in my opinion. There's tons of other things that are wrong with the economy, completely unrelated to the recession. But having a recession does shed some light on it. Just don't mistake it for an after-effect of the financial crisis.

/end rant

Anyhow, at least I've stabalized and function healthy, but I did need to expand towards other branches to do so, while cutting out the heart of the firm. Which is pretty sad, because it shouldn't have been like that. :P

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

why the hell are the banking sectors surging? that makes no sense to me, they should be perceived as tarnishable/risky investments after this whole shitball of fire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There wasn't any shitball of fire. :P

Like I said. The biggest part of this recession is corruption.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Fluffy? Does scandinavia have any inclination to adopt any formal form of cap and trade?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Can't say I know all the ins and outs to that, I'm not from there. :/

The European Union is but Scandinavia countries have been a bunch of conservatives when it comes to this. Although I do believe I read that in the Swedish wood sector, there's been a lot of 'green movement'. And since they're a big exporter, I suppose they'll have to meet certain emission regulations. As far as I am aware, EU got specific import rules to enforce that.

But what has that got to do with this thread.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yes, there has been a lot of good news mixed with more bad news in the entire scope of things, but focus on what you want I suppose. The fundamentals of this economy have not changed and we have colossal deficits and debts that will crash down on us if they don't handle it JUUUUUUUUUST right. Plus, the rest of the world is still in a financial mess. I said before this got going that we'd see a bear market rally this year, with a larger crash to proceed it.

All the sources I listen to who predicted this recession in the first place while nobody else saw it coming at all, still believe the recession will continue and get worse. Nouriel Roubini included. I trust them more than the other sunshine lolipop economists by virtue of their track record.

MBTI
    ESFJ

We're not out of the woods yet, but the U.S. economy is remarkably resilient. We bounced back quickly from the doldrums in 2001-02. This just happened to be particularly bad because we had not only a slowdown in the overall economy, but a meltdown in some key sectors. But, as we all know, you can't keep a dynamic capitalist economy permanently.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

All I'm seeing is

1. propaganda in the media, shows and arguements that have nothing to do with the recession.
    2. badly functioning companies/concerns calling for financial support, because of the recession? They say so, but they were shaky before. (Let them burn imo.)
    3. What is economy? It's all about consuming. Consuming, consuming, consuming. Even if there are debts right now. It couldn't possible get worse for as long as we keep consuming. Markets shift and renew. It's up to the structures to be flexible enough to go with the flow. But economy crashing? NEVER going to happen.

I mean come on. Our government here in the Netherlands came up with a so-called plan in light of the recession, and you know what kinda stuff theyt came up with?

People that are 50 years or younger, will now not retire at 65, but at 67 years of age.

THAT'S A 15 YEAR PLAN. How is THAT going to have an effect on the recession? It won't.

But why did they make it part of it? Because they're just abusing the situation to get ideas out and make changes.

I'm not saying the change is bad. Not at all. But come on, people need to get their heads out of their asses and focus on the most important thing there is to keep the economy healthy. Consuming and flexibility!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    All I'm seeing is

1. propaganda in the media, shows and arguements that have nothing to do with the recession.
    2. badly functioning companies/concerns calling for financial support, because of the recession? They say so, but they were shaky before. (Let them burn imo.)
    Yes, and when you have companies and industries under stress, failing because they were weak, then you get trouble in the overall economic outlook. This recession would've seen the end of many more weak banks and companies had the government not intervened. Over the long run this may not (I know it wont) prove to be a healthy thing.

3. What is economy? It's all about consuming. Consuming, consuming, consuming. Even if there are debts right now. It couldn't possible get worse for as long as we keep consuming. Markets shift and renew. It's up to the structures to be flexible enough to go with the flow. But economy crashing? NEVER going to happen.
    The economy is consuming and PRODUCING. With all due respect, you sound like an American :P. In this country country (the USA), consuming is the order of the day, and we barely produce anything. The PRODUCTION side of the economy is still present here in many sectors, but overall we rely much more on foreign countries to PRODUCE what we CONSUME.

And by God, I don't want to even know what train of thought makes you think an economic crash CANT happen. The chances are slim, but it has, does, and can happen.

I mean come on. Our government here in the Netherlands came up with a so-called plan in light of the recession, and you know what kinda stuff theyt came up with?

People that are 50 years or younger, will now not retire at 65, but at 67 years of age.

THAT'S A 15 YEAR PLAN. How is THAT going to have an effect on the recession? It won't.

But why did they make it part of it? Because they're just abusing the situation to get ideas out and make changes.
    Precisely. Our leaders here have said "a crisis is an opportunity to do things you could've never done before." Never let a good crisis go to waste.