User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 73

  1. #41
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    What those countries are doing is basically have all men, whether they have children or not pay high taxes to pay for other mens children, whereas, currently, in the U.S. the govt prefers to encourage parents to marry and for men to financially support their own children.
    I think in the US, women make 75% of what men make on average. And in some urban areas with a young population, women outearn men. In Canada and Europe, the male/female income gap might be even smaller. So women are carrying a good portion of the tax burden nowadays.

  2. #42
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Peguy, here are two sources. The debate was with ajblaise, who (wrongly) claimed that the USSR was the second-largest economy in the world. This is one of the reasons why I suggest he cite sources besides Wikipedia.

    SOVIET ECONOMY: Assessment of How Well the CIA Has Estimated the Size of the Economy.

    Evolution in Europe; Soviet Experts Say Their Economy Is Worse Than U.S. Has Estimated - The New York Times
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #43
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    What those countries are doing is basically have all men, whether they have children or not pay high taxes to pay for other mens children, whereas, currently, in the U.S. the govt prefers to encourage parents to marry and for men to financially support their own children.
    Problem is that wage slavery is a not a substantial means of supporting a family. I do believe that families should be given oppurtunities and needs to be able to stand on their own feet, and not be dependent upon the government. One reason why I believe in the wider distribution of private property.

  4. #44
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Peguy, here are two sources. The debate was with ajblaise, who (wrongly) claimed that the USSR was the second-largest economy in the world. This is one of the reasons why I suggest he cite sources besides Wikipedia.

    SOVIET ECONOMY: Assessment of How Well the CIA Has Estimated the Size of the Economy.

    Evolution in Europe; Soviet Experts Say Their Economy Is Worse Than U.S. Has Estimated - The New York Times

    Thanks, I'll save them for future readings. I have an entire archive of various studies done about the Soviet system.

  5. #45
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm not sure I know what your critique is exactly. Is it that you think transferring wealth to those who have less of it doesn't reduce poverty? Or that it's negative effect on the wealthy outweighs the positive effect on the middle and lower classes?
    he's basically equating this wealth transfer to what FDR described in his annual address to congress in 1935:

    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin D. Roosevelt
    The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediatly before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fibre. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America. Work must be found for able-bodied but destitude workers.
    at least thats what i got from it.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

  6. #46
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Peguy, here are two sources. The debate was with ajblaise, who (wrongly) claimed that the USSR was the second-largest economy in the world. This is one of the reasons why I suggest he cite sources besides Wikipedia.

    SOVIET ECONOMY: Assessment of How Well the CIA Has Estimated the Size of the Economy.

    Evolution in Europe; Soviet Experts Say Their Economy Is Worse Than U.S. Has Estimated - The New York Times
    The actual citation in that wiki is correct in that it was citing a real CIA study, right? Also, just because a soviet expert disagrees, that doesn't make him right.

  7. #47
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thanks, I'll save them for future readings. I have an entire archive of various studies done about the Soviet system.
    No problem. It's funny. The Soviet were always lying about how well things were going in the Soviet Union until the very end, and the CIA was telling us that they were accurate. Then the Soviets admitted the numbers were inaccurate, and our government looks stupid. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might wonder if the CIA intentionally published numbers they knew to be inflated for decades, in order to make the Soviets look like a more powerful foe and keep the defense dollars rolling in. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #48
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    he's basically equating this wealth transfer to what FDR described in his annual address to congress in 1935:



    at least thats what i got from it.
    Yeah, that was around the time when welfare states were becoming popular all over the developed world. I'm not sure if that's what he was saying, but yeah, that was the timeline.

  9. #49
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The actual citation in that wiki is correct in that it was citing a real CIA study, right? Also, just because a soviet expert disagrees, that doesn't make him right.
    It cited an actual CIA Factbook that was later proven inaccurate.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #50
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might wonder if the CIA intentionally published numbers they knew to be inflated for decades, in order to make the Soviets look like a more powerful foe and keep the defense dollars rolling in. . .
    That's not at all improbable. The CIA literally failed to even see how the Soviet system was going to collaspe. Just a year or so before the Berlin Wall came down, some CIA reports noted that by most estimates the Cold War would last another 10-15 years.

    Awhile back on Frontline, they had one program about how the lately the CIA has been disregarded as a reliable source for intelligence, instead relying upon the military.

    The USSR was certainly a formidable force to recon with, but in the usual comic-book imagery we're used to. The grand strategy of the Soviet military was largely defensive in nature(which goes back to 1917), so the fear of the Soviets attacking NATO was for the most part groundless.

    Anyways, this thread is about economics not military affairs.

Similar Threads

  1. Balanced life, psychologically good practices and the effects on type
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
  2. Interesting article on the effects of public schools
    By BlackCat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Series #2: The effect of parenting on you.
    By gretch in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. The Effect of Music on Concentration
    By JustDave in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO