User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

That graph is all about women and children, since women and children comprise the majority of what is considered "the poor". The closer the top the country is on that graph, the less likely they are to get married, and to have a nuclear family. One reason for this is because the government assumes the financial role of "father" to the children. Also, the closer to the top of that list the country is, the lower their birthrates are. And finally, the closer to the top the country is on that list, the weaker their military is.

Not making any value judgments here (I may do that later), just stating the facts. You can verify them all yourself. Make of it what you want.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    According to the first model the state is primarily concerned with directing the resources to “the people most in need”. This requires a tight bureaucratic control over the people concerned, with a maximum of interference in their lives to establish who are "in need" and minimize cheating.
    The cure is worse than the illness apparently.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Can you point to a source on this?
    Yes, I can. I first heard about this in history class in 9th grade, but I cited articles on here last year sometime. I will search on here and Google.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Can we use Welfare governments in Africa or South America to demonstrate counter examples?

Or are we forgetting that Europe got rich through domination and accumulated wealth though such.

(Just as Africa still hasn't recovered from such, Europe is still feeling the effects as well)
    No, we can't, because nothing is working in Africa. It wouldn't make a capitalist system opposed to the welfare state look any better. Basically, we can attribute most of Africa's problems to things that have little to do with those sorts of systems. Nearly all African countries are in such a mess that they haven't even gotten to the point of being able to debate those things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I don't think this is exactly what it shows... least not in a positive way. It is nothing more than handing money from one person to the other. It's not a net improvement the country and it tends to be negative for everyone. This is dealing with income equality, with a fixed cut off line (poverty). To "reduce" poverty requires a permanent change. The same goes with social welfare - concepts like universal healthcare are about society providing efficient support to its population so that it can remain productive.

So what you said is correct, but should be put in context. When rich societies have wealth, and choose to give it to those that don't have wealth, then those that don't have wealth... have more wealth. It doesn't address any of the issues with giving wealth, etc.
    I'm not sure I know what your critique is exactly. Is it that you think transferring wealth to those who have less of it doesn't reduce poverty? Or that it's negative effect on the wealthy outweighs the positive effect on the middle and lower classes?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Wait... what happened?

I feel like this topic just gained a bunch of posts in an almost impossibly short span of time. Either I had some kind of caching error, or I got sucked into a time warp.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yes, I can. I first heard about this in history class in 9th grade, but I cited articles on here last year sometime. I will search on here and Google.
    If you can find them, I would appreciate reading them. Russian/Soviet history is a major topic of interest of mine.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    (One could hope anyways, I answered back).

The US, UK, Russia, and China are the world players, unless directed by one of these countries, other countries do not generally get invovled.
    I think you give the UK too much credit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think you give the UK too much credit.
    The sun never sets on the British Empire!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What those countries are doing is basically have all men, whether they have children or not pay high taxes to pay for other mens children, whereas, currently, in the U.S. the govt prefers to encourage parents to marry and for men to financially support their own children.