User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    In fact, the wiki is still incorrect, and still uses the CIA Factbook. And the article is completely inaccurate and pro-Soviet in bias. It happens A LOT on Wikipedia. There are descriptions of events that are completely and totally false, like that of the so-called Hollywood Black Friday. It claims that "several scabs attempted to run the strikers down" in their cars. That is patently absurd.
    Right and you know that because you did your homework, yes?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If you don't have any comments on the studies I posted and it's citation (just google the studies, a lot comes up), go somewhere else.

I will go wherever I damn well please, thank you.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    IsTP

I will go wherever I damn well please, thank you.
    If you're going dismiss his source without doing your research he does have a point imho.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Here is a graph that needs no citation:

Pure_merc's attempts to be rational over time

Sniffles

Well, a major discussion months back hinged on someone claiming that the USSR was the second-largest economy in the world when it was nowhere near close, and the cited source was a wiki that was completely and totally wrong.
    From the sources I've read(which was long before Wikipedia ever existed) the USSR did have the second largest economy in the world. I know by the 1980s, Japan's economy equalled that of the USSR - and it was the 3rd largest economy in the world.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    From the sources I've read(which was long before Wikipedia ever existed) the USSR did have the second largest economy in the world. I know by the 1980s, Japan's economy equalled that of the USSR - and it was the 3rd largest economy in the world.

The USSR was supposed to have had an economy about 60-65% the size of the United States' around 1970. It has since been proven that the number is more like 30%, and, thus, it was not the world's second largest economy.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    If you're going dismiss his source without doing your research he does have a point imho.
    Neither of the two citations from wiki are available without a subscription.

Here is a graph that needs no citation:

Pure_merc's attempts to be rational over time

And ajblaise's attempts to be funny have never had a success rate over 0. You better come correct, or don't come at all.
    Last edited by MacGuffin; 04-09-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Merging 3 post(s)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

And ajblaise's attempts to be funny have never had a success rate over 0. You better come correct, or don't come at all.
    Now you're just regurgitating things. Lighten up a bit.

Sniffles

The USSR was supposed to have had an economy about 60-65% the size of the United States' around 1970. It has since been proven that the number is more like 30%, and, thus, it was not the world's second largest economy.
    Can you point to a source on this?

MBTI
    ESFJ

The wiki you used actually has this paragraph:

"There are two ways of organizing a welfare state:[13]

According to the first model the state is primarily concerned with directing the resources to “the people most in need”. This requires a tight bureaucratic control over the people concerned, with a maximum of interference in their lives to establish who are "in need" and minimize cheating. The unintended result is that there is a sharp divide between the receivers and the producers of social welfare, between "us" and "them", the producers tending to dismiss the whole idea of social welfare because they will not receive anything of it. This model is dominant in the US."

That is ridiculous. I expect nothing better from a wiki in the "Social Democracy" portal, though.

MBTI
    ISTP

Empirical evidence suggests that taxes and transfers considerably reduce poverty in most countries, whose welfare states commonly constitute at least a fifth of GDP.
    I don't think this is exactly what it shows... least not in a positive way. It is nothing more than handing money from one person to the other. It's not a net improvement the country and it tends to be negative for everyone. This is dealing with income equality, with a fixed cut off line (poverty). To "reduce" poverty requires a permanent change. The same goes with social welfare - concepts like universal healthcare are about society providing efficient support to its population so that it can remain productive.

So what you said is correct, but should be put in context. When rich societies have wealth, and choose to give it to those that don't have wealth, then those that don't have wealth... have more wealth. It doesn't address any of the issues with giving wealth, etc.