User Tag List

Lightbulb Don't Wait for the State! Residents Can Do It Themselves

CNN Article

Their livelihood was being threatened, and they were tired of waiting for government help, so business owners and residents on Hawaii's Kauai island pulled together and completed a $4 million repair job to a state park -- for free.
    "Tourism is our lifeblood. It's what pays all of our bills," Slack said. "The money that pours in comes from tourism is really an important factor for everyone here in Hawaii, and it's such an important time to encourage tourism."
    "We can wait around for the state or federal government to make this move, or we can go out and do our part," Slack said. "Just like everyone's sitting around waiting for a stimulus check, we were waiting for this but decided we couldn't wait anymore."
    What a novel idea, members of a community volunteer their time and resources to better their own community. Who knew it could be done?

But seriously, is it just me or do we as a culture have a bad habit of A) Spotting Problems and then skipping the B)s and C)s like What can I do? or What can we do? and jump straight to Z) Why isn't someone {the government} fixing this {for me us}?

I'm a long-time fan of personal responsibility and making time (because you'll never just find time laying around) to make a difference. Democracy (like it or not as it's what we've got) is a participatory process, not a spectator sport. Volunteer work was one of the best things I've ever done. I didn't have money or resources, but I had time to give. Once that was combined with idea people, and money people, and resource people --incredible things happened like the above. Not everyone's contributions can be the same, but at least it's something.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESFJ

Part of it is the "tragedy of the commons." When no one actually owns something, they don't feel the need to maintain it properly, even if they use it all the time. In this situation, the community recognized that they need this common area for economic and recreational reasons, and they responded. Good for them.

P.S. We are not technically a democracy in the United States, but we do have democratic elections.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Part of it is the "tragedy of the commons."
    I have heard this expression before, but did not precisely understand it's meaning. Thank you for the inspired web search!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I have heard this expression before, but did not precisely understand it's meaning. Thank you for the inspired web search!
    Always glad to help.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Lady, don't get me started. The People's Army of the Everyday Man gets stuff done, you know? Bureaucracy can leave you hogtied forever (I should know, trying to get open-burning under control was a nightmare). That's a scary thought.

I could mention the Angel Food network started by a couple who realized that the people around them couldn't afford to eat. They've expanded to several states now - $30 will get ANYONE at least $60-70 worth of food, healthy and high quality, with some meals made in particular to keep seniors healthy. Not a penny of government money, though they do accept food stamps for those who can't pay. That's so awesome!

Way to go, Hawaiian citizens! I can see why they'd want to take matters into their own hands. It's their livelihood in the balance.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious