MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I win.

Seriously though, maybe I'm just a closet romantic, but I honestly can't believe I have to defend marriage.
    No sweetie, I win.

I'm also a closet romantic, which is why I would love for people to be together solely because they want to, not out of obligation...

But again, I win.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I'm also a closet romantic, which is why I would love for people to be together solely because they want to, not out of obligation...

But I still think we should go to Iowa and get hitched.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

But I still think we should go to Iowa and get hitched.
    For you, darling - anything.

MBTI
    ENTP

Does it really matter?

I remember back in world history reading about the Soviets. Women were expected to work just as hard as men by the government, and yet they were still expected to work as hard as their mothers for their families by society.

I see the same thing happening today. A woman can raise a child herself and make her own wages. Or she can marry and have a child, and augment her wages, but then she has to take care of her husband too. What's a girl to do?
    Precisely! Women have been the victims of the destruction of gender roles, which is part of the reason why marriage is in decline. When women were cherished for their roles as lovers, mothers, and wives, they were not expected to shoulder every burden. Now a wife must be super woman and still not have her needs met as a woman. So, obviously, in this context of fake "equality" (which has ironically led to less responsibility for men) women are stupid to choose marriage. But, I would argue that this is not how things should be. This state of disorder comes from the same attitude that has led to the decline of marriage. We simply do not care what is good for families. Nor do we recognize what is important for men and women to feel satisfied. It's all related.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Does it really matter?

I remember back in world history reading about the Soviets. Women were expected to work just as hard as men by the government, and yet they were still expected to work as hard as their mothers for their families by society.

I see the same thing happening today. A woman can raise a child herself and make her own wages. Or she can marry and have a child, and augment her wages, but then she has to take care of her husband too. What's a girl to do?
    The soviets aren't the best bunch to follow, and about 80% of Russia would agree with that (I believe the communist party makes up 15%).

The male should be able to take care of himself (or a really bad decision was made here), I'm pretty sure its a benefit to have a male helping out.

It is not easy taking care of children and working.

You are gone most of the time and can't always watch them, now you got to pay a sitter (and school is shorter than work hours).

You are tired, and thus in less than perfect mood.

Its a lot more stressful to the point of it being unhealthy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    No sweetie, I win.

But again, I win.
    No one should ever marry out of obligation. This only happens when marriage is not cherished as a sacred institution.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Precisely! Women have been the victims of the destruction of gender roles, which is part of the reason why marriage is in decline. When women were cherished for their roles as lovers, mothers, and wives, they were not expected to shoulder every burden. Now a wife must be super woman and still not have her needs met as a woman. So, obviously, in this context of fake "equality" (which has ironically led to less responsibility for men) women are stupid to choose marriage. But, I would argue that this is not how things should be. This state of disorder comes from the same attitude that has led to the decline of marriage. We simply do not care what is good for families. Nor do we recognize what is important for men and women to feel satisfied. It's all related.
    You're just trying to get in her pants.

MBTI
    ENFJ

But I believe that while we are halfway through the shift to a more egalitarian society, it would be worth the effort to just shift all the way to equality.

And I believe society can do it.

I mean, if marriage is, according to biologists, so anathema to a male's brain programming, yet it has been going on for so many years, then this is possible too, no?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

No one should ever marry out of obligation. This only happens when marriage is not cherished as a sacred institution.
    Yes, but people often stay married out of obligation.
    And the word "sacred" presumes some sort of religious affiliation, so I'm really gonna back out now.

But this has been fun, thanks!

MBTI
    ENTP

I mean, if marriage is, according to biologists, so anathema to a male's brain programming, yet it has been going on for so many years, then this is possible too, no?
    #1 Equality is bullshit. Men are women are not the same therefore they could never be equal. They can, however, possess equal value within society based on their difference.
    #2 We are not purely animals. We have built a culture. We have built ourselves a society against a host of antisocial tendencies.