User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

What I mean is that I don't think the legal/religious distinctions are that important.

However, that two (or more, whatever) people should have a commitment to each other and their children is very important if they wish to/are probably going to raise kids together.

If it is really true that the only reason a man will stay with a woman after she has kids is because he's legally bonded to her on pain of horrendous legal proceedings, then... well... people are pretty fucked up.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    So who is a better judge of my happiness? You? Traditions are great if they are still useful and purposeful. My argument is that there is no specific reason to be married anymore. Forced institutions are also a tyranny.
    No one should be forced to do anything. This does not mean that certain traditions are not beneficial. Honestly, if you love someone and are committed absolutely, why not marry? I really don't see what evil you are avoiding. It's more that people are not really committed.

I don't think children suffer from unwed parents. Children suffer from neglectful parents.
    Unwed parents are less likely to be serious and commitment oriented. Can you really argue otherwise?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It seems to me I've read more than one study that shows marriage is more beneficial for men than for women. Since women can support themselves better than they ever could, and since the government will subsidize a single woman and her child only if there is no live-in male (Aid to Dependent Children), many women choose to have the baby and keep the man as ... sort of a consort.
    Marriage in the context of a society that does not value marriage may well be hazardous to a woman's health. Does this mean marriage itself is bad? I think it is more the atmosphere of our society that is unhealthy. That we do not value commitment and sacrifice. Only options and freedom, whatever that is.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Divorce is worse than a bad breakup. Divorce can be financially and emotionally devastating. There can be custody battles and huge losses of property. It's just easier not to start, is what I guess people think.

I don't like it, I'm just saying.

MBTI
    ENTP

Divorce is worse than a bad breakup. Divorce can be financially and emotionally devastating. There can be custody battles and huge losses of property. It's just easier not to start, is what I guess people think.

I don't like it, I'm just saying.
    Yes, but I think it's this attitude (that all things can be undone and therefore no sacrifice is required) that leads to this suffering. Not divorce itself.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Synarch, I don't think we're talking about marriage anymore.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    No one should be forced to do anything. This does not mean that certain traditions are not beneficial. Honestly, if you love someone and are committed absolutely, why not marry? I really don't see what evil you are avoiding. It's more that people are not really committed.
    In that situation, of a committed loving couple, there would be no reason to get married unless you are of a religious mindset, or you are looking for a specific governmental benefit. The act of commitment, in this case, is not dependent upon a piece of paper.

Unwed parents are less likely to be serious and commitment oriented. Can you really argue otherwise?
    Of course I can. If a woman gets pregnant with a man she feels is less than desirable, it shows strength of character and extreme fortitude to go it alone. She shows serious commitment to her child by performing all the roles herself. She shows serious commitment to her child by not letting it grow up around alcoholism, neglect, constant arguing or whatever makes the partnership undesirable.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

It seems to me I've read more than one study that shows marriage is more beneficial for men than for women. Since women can support themselves better than they ever could, and since the government will subsidize a single woman and her child only if there is no live-in male (Aid to Dependent Children), many women choose to have the baby and keep the man as ... sort of a consort.
    Another possible factor for the increase for such, though working moms are overly stress and it does strain the family situation, if this is the incentive increasing such, (at least this one in particular) then its a destructive trend.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    In that situation, of a committed loving couple, there would be no reason to get married unless you are of a religious mindset, or you are looking for a specific governmental benefit. The act of commitment, in this case, is not dependent upon a piece of paper.
    Marriage is not just a piece of paper. It is a formal commitment you make in front of your social circle to stick things out. To become a unit. The legal aspect is just one small part. Furthermore, you must make a conscious step to marry, whereas anyone can slide into cohabitation.

Of course I can. If a woman gets pregnant with a man she feels is less than desirable, it shows strength of character and extreme fortitude to go it alone. She shows serious commitment to her child by performing all the roles herself. She shows serious commitment to her child by not letting it grow up around alcoholism, neglect, constant arguing or whatever makes the partnership undesirable.
    Why on earth would a woman have babies with someone less than desirable? She just shows she's a fucktard and bad at making decisions.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why on earth would a woman have babies with someone less than desirable? She just shows she's a fucktard and bad at making decisions.
    People find themselves in abusive situations all the time. I'd hate to see a woman feel forced to tie the knot with someone of that sort because she's pregnant.