User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

Results 281 to 290 of 349

  1. #281
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    FTR, I can't believe you're seriously arguing this, Synarch. Maybe you're not.
    Arguing what?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #282
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    How ridiculous is this? So we're supposed to keep our legs closed if we don't want to get pregnant but we're not supposed to close our legs with our husbands??? Sorry, that's about the most absurd thing I've seen in this thread so far. Ten years of marriage would have left me with a dozen children operating under that paradigm. FUCK that!

    You've just offered up yet further evidence of why marriage should be eliminated. Thank you.
    Feminists are so silly.

  3. #283
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    This does not mean people were being raped in the streets or that women were being imprisoned and raped in their homes. Come on.
    Yes they were. That's why laws were made to protect us. If it wasn't prevalent, why would anyone think to make it a law? It's ludicrous and offensive to imply that domestic violence and rape is not and was not prevalent throughout history and now, in modern times. It's very insulting.

    All this talk about wanting a marriage and cherishing your wife and women in general means absolutely nothing if you don't open your mind and heart and actually listen to us. You wonder why we don't want to get married and it's because of this. The ignorance, the misogyny, the whatever have you. In order to cherish a woman, you have got to listen to her. Keep arguing if you want, I don't care, but I hope that one day you pick up a book and read about women's struggles and reproductive rights before you have a daughter. Listen and absorb instead of immediately striking back - you may be surprised to know that we are actually telling you the truth.

  4. #284
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Feminists are so silly.
    No ad hominems please!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #285
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Arguing what?
    That women and men have historically had equal power/influence/opportunities/whatever.

    Edit: Notice I didn't say I couldn't believe Peguy would seriously argue this.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  6. #286
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    No ad hominems please!
    Exactly how was that an ad hominem? If I dismissed her argument on the grounds she was on her period, I could see your point.

    Edit: Notice I didn't say I couldn't believe Peguy would seriously argue this.
    Considering it's 1:20 am here. I could go further on this issue, but I'll leave it at that for now.

  7. #287
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yes they were. That's why laws were made to protect us. If it wasn't prevalent, why would anyone think to make it a law? It's ludicrous and offensive to imply that domestic violence and rape is not and was not prevalent throughout history and now, in modern times. It's very insulting.

    All this talk about wanting a marriage and cherishing your wife and women in general means absolutely nothing if you don't open your mind and heart and actually listen to us. You wonder why we don't want to get married and it's because of this. The ignorance, the misogyny, the whatever have you. In order to cherish a woman, you have got to listen to her. Keep arguing if you want, I don't care, but I hope that one day you pick up a book and read about women's struggles and reproductive rights before you have a daughter. Listen and absorb instead of immediately striking back - you may be surprised to know that we are actually telling you the truth.
    I will listen to you when you stop dissing marriage. No one is really acknowledging the other side. Don't clamor for the moral high ground. I'm more than willing to listen to someone who is equally open-minded. But, your mind is made up. As is juggernaut's. So... what am I listening for? There is no potential for exchange or accommodation. Only for defense of cherished institutions.

    I thought you left?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #288
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Exactly how was that an ad hominem? If I dismissed her argument on the grounds she was on her period, I could see your point.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Marriage should not be eliminated. Loveless marriages should be eliminated. Stop projecting.
    No genius, if what Peguy said is true, then for any woman who does not wish to be saddled with unwanted children marriage should be eliminated.

    P1: If a woman does not want to get pregnant she should keep her legs closed.
    P2: A woman does not want to get pregnant
    Therefore, a woman should keep her legs closed

    and

    P1: A woman who is married should not close her legs to her husband
    P2: A woman does not want to get pregnant
    Therefore, a woman should remain unmarried

    This is just basic intro-level logic. Love is in no way a part of the equation.

  10. #290
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That women and men have historically had equal power/influence/opportunities/whatever.

    Edit: Notice I didn't say I couldn't believe Peguy would seriously argue this.
    Maybe not completely equal, but also not some blasted wasteland of female suffering and subjugation. Women have always wielded considerable influence! Macbeth! Is this based on fantasy?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Similar Threads

  1. "14 out of 9 people are a disguised puppet": the Truth about Science
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2014, 01:42 PM
  2. Which of these kind of people are you attraced to/would rather be....?
    By Illmatic in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
  3. Which of these kind of people are you attraced to/would rather be....?
    By Illmatic in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 02:56 AM
  4. [ISTP] If 6% of people are supposed ISTPs
    By esidebill in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
  5. I don't know who any of you people are any more
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO