User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I don't know anyone who is really that active in the PTA. Women can go back to school, get training, do volunteer work, whatever their economic situation will support. I really don't care what they do, I was simply pointing out that not every woman feels the same way about motherhood and babies not being fufilling to her "being" or whatever.

Some women find a lot of fulfillment in having and raising babies, but in today's world they are often looked on as being backwards, neurotic or childlike for doing so. I think that's an awful thing. btw, I am married and "childfree by choice".
    Well, as I said previously, I'm speaking solely from my own experience. I'm well aware there are women that find raising babies the end all. I spent many years along side them in the PTA. I really enjoyed it very much, but that just wasn't enough...and now two of the three are basically grown so I'm very glad I realized that it wasn't enough and did more with my life. I feel for the women who don't realize it until it's no longer an option.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I feel for the women who don't realize it until it's no longer an option.
    When is self-develpment no longer an option though? Is there a cut off age? There are things I regret from my twenties/thrities that I didn't do and the reasons for not doing them had nothing to do with childrearing or marriage, it had to do with myself and my outlook on life. So I progress and learn and decide I want to move in a new direction. As long as I am breathing, can't I still do this?

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, as I said previously, I'm speaking solely from my own experience. I'm well aware there are women that find raising babies the end all. I spent many years along side them in the PTA. I really enjoyed it very much, but that just wasn't enough...and now two of the three are basically grown so I'm very glad I realized that it wasn't enough and did more with my life. I feel for the women who don't realize it until it's no longer an option.
    You can't really raise strong sons and daughters if you neglect your own development, ergo no one is saying you should neglect your own development to be a mommy. In the old days, before public school, educated mothers molded and nurtured their sons and daughters creating vigorous and strong moral characters. Strong, intelligent women raise strong, intelligent children.

My own mother stayed with me for the first four years and she would involve me in many of her intellectual pursuits. We read together and drew together and made things. Like most things, child rearing is what you make of it and how you see it that makes all the difference.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    That's not very romantic! If you were in love and were forced to choose between saving your life or the life of your beloved, who would you save? Things cannot always be equal. In fact, they can rarely be equal.

Romantic??? When did romance enter into the picture? I thought this discussion was about the decline of marriage. Marriage generally isn't about romance, as all the posts regarding tax breaks and structure of the family have made clear. I'm all for romance (well not really, it kind of nauseates me a bit in truth), but let's not conflate the issue. People can love each other without being married, and romance is in no way included in the definition of marriage.

As for who I would save, that's easy. ME!!! I have three kids. What kind of mother would I be if I left my children because of some guy?? I really do love them.

MBTI
    ENTP

Romantic??? When did romance enter into the picture? I thought this discussion was about the decline of marriage. Marriage generally isn't about romance, as all the posts regarding tax breaks and structure of the family have made clear. I'm all for romance (well not really, it kind of nauseates me a bit in truth), but let's not conflate the issue. People can love each other without being married, and romance is in no way included in the definition of marriage.

As for who I would save, that's easy. ME!!! I have three kids. What kind of mother would I be if I left my children because of some guy?? I really do love them.
    How can you make babies without romance?

heart on fire

Without romance I'd be long gone from my marriage...

MBTI
    ENTP

Cute, cute, cute!

Banned

When is self-develpment no longer an option though? Is there a cut off age? There are things I regret from my twenties/thrities that I didn't do and the reasons for not doing them had nothing to do with childrearing or marriage, it had to do with myself and my outlook on life. So I progress and learn and decide I want to move in a new direction. As long as I am breathing, can't I still do this?
    Actually, there are many things that cease to be an option after a certain age. You cannot start a career at fifty or sixty, people just will not hire you. It's unfortunate, but that's reality. You may think the world is your oyster but that's just not how things work. Try explaining to a prospective employer a two decade hiatus from the job market, when he's got a dozen applications from young, healthy applicants sitting in his inbox. You'll find out very quickly what your limitations are.

MBTI
    ENTP

Actually, there are many things that cease to be an option after a certain age. You cannot start a career at fifty or sixty, people just will not hire you. It's unfortunate, but that's reality. You may think the world is your oyster but that's just not how things work. Try explaining to a prospective employer a two decade hiatus from the job market, when he's got a dozen applications from young, healthy applicants sitting in his inbox. You'll find out very quickly what your limitations are.
    Diane Court: Nobody thinks it will work, do they?
    Lloyd Dobler: No. You just described every great success story.

Banned

Sorry, I thought this thread was about "4 Out of 10 People Are Born Out of Wedlock."

Funny you should mention it though, cause that's exactly why this happens. The simple fact that you could be long gone on that basis is what has motivated many of us to become long gone ourselves.