User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    How fundamentally different do you find the genders in areas other than physical strength? How do you compare male and female intelligence? How often will the difference in genders result in inequality in performance when they are provided with equal opportunity?

My assumption is that it is an unknown entity until demonstrated. There is already proof to point to that women have the ability to compete with men. What has been demonstrated so far does not indicate the degree of fundamental differences that you imply with your statements.
    Men and women have similar average IQ. Interestingly, there is more variation in IQ in men, which make men as a group both more stupid and more intelligent than women.

Male and female intelligence is likely different in some ways. As for inequality in performance, it probably depends on the task.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Having spent well over half of my adult life married I can say, without equivocation, that the unmarried life has been far more interesting and pleasant than married life. I had a lovely husband (with whom I still share a great friendship) and a very nice home, but it was a horribly claustrophobic life that made me miserable. I still think it might be nice to find another partner some day, but I do not intend to ever tie the knot again. There is nothing for me, personally, to gain by marrying anyone. I know many women in similar situations. We have great co-parents with whom we share our child rearing responsibilities, but we have our own lives, identities, income, and interests. Marriage provides nothing we need or want.
    Maybe he wasn't the right man for you. A good single life would be preferable to a boring, claustrophobic marriage, obviously. But maybe the same attitudes that make you reluctant to remarry are what resulted in you marrying someone it did not work out with. Who's to say?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Maybe he wasn't the right man for you. A good single life would be preferable to a boring, claustrophobic marriage, obviously. But maybe the same attitudes that make you reluctant to remarry are what resulted in you marrying someone it did not work out with. Who's to say?
    Not you.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Banned

I'm sorry, I'm not following. What does this mean?

For what it's worth though, I was married to a really neat man. I'm just not cut out for marriage. I feel very fortunate to live in a time where I have the option of not being married. What makes me feel reluctant to remarry is the pointlessness of it. If someone loves me, they'll be happy to be with me and won't feel the need make me into something I'm not...namely a wife.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Not you.
    Point is, marriage is what you make of it ultimately. If you view marriage as a burdensome, unnecessary arrangement, the end of your fun... you probably should not get married.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Birth control did not suddenly create reproductive choice. Women have always had choice. To say otherwise is to say they were powerless throughout human history and only until birth control did they attain power over their ability to have babies.
    :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:

Tell that to women across the globe who have no control over their reproductive organs. Tell that to young virgins getting raped throughout Africa, because men believe that sex with a virgin will cure them of HIV. Tell that to the HIV born child of that subsequent union.

Tell that to all the women who have died of puncture wounds and infections and poisonings throughout history.

Until 1976, marital rape was legal in every state across the United States. We had no choices.

Did you fall asleep in history class? Do you think freedom just happened to fall into the Western women's laps? When men controlled the purse strings, women had no options - they were just baby making machines. They had no choices. Freedom came with birth control. For once, women could work outside of the home and use their talents to pursue whatever path they wanted to take, as individuals, not as property. For once, we could take our lives into our own hands.

But since this has been a woman's struggle throughout the ages, it means nothing to you, right? Got news for you - women's rights are human rights.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not following. What does this mean?

For what it's worth though, I was married to a really neat man. I'm just not cut out for marriage. I feel very fortunate to live in a time where I have the option of not being married. What makes me feel reluctant to remarry is the pointlessness of it. If someone loves me, they'll be happy to be with me and won't feel the need make me into something I'm not...namely a wife.
    All I hear is me, me, me. You're telling me if you met the man of your dreams and it would make him more happy to be married than not married, you would stick to your guns and not marry simply because it's pointless to you? It would not be important what would make your beloved happy? Marriage does not mean becoming something you're not. When you become a wife, you do not change. It just means you're married.

People have always had the option of not marrying. But, let's not exalt this attitude of non-commitment as some virtue.

heart on fire

Men used to beg women to marry them, now women beg to be allowed to be baby mamas. (When they aren't begging to be a no-strings service station)

There's really something wrong with that picture. I don't think it's time to stand up and cheer for the woman's victory yet...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:

Tell that to women across the globe who have no control over their reproductive organs. Tell that to young virgins getting raped throughout Africa, because men believe that sex with a virgin will cure them of HIV. Tell that to the HIV born child of that subsequent union.

Tell that to all the women who have died of puncture wounds and infections and poisonings throughout history.

Until 1976, marital rape was legal in every state across the United States. We had no choices.

Did you fall asleep in history class? Do you think freedom just happened to fall into the Western women's laps? When men controlled the purse strings, women had no options - they were just baby making machines. They had no choices. Freedom came with birth control. For once, women could work outside of the home and use their talents to pursue whatever path they wanted to take, as individuals, not as property. For once, we could take our lives into our own hands.

But since this has been a woman's struggle throughout the ages, it means nothing to you, right? Got news for you - women's rights are human rights.
    All of these issues are caused by societal disintegration. By devaluing women and sexual relations. I am talking about valuing women and sexual relations by reinforcing our respect for one another. By reinforcing the family unit. By putting responsibility on both men and women to care for one another.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

All of these issues are caused by societal disintegration. By devaluing women and sexual relations. I am talking about valuing women and sexual relations by reinforcing our respect for one another. By reinforcing the family unit. By putting responsibility on both men and women to care for one another.
    And when the hell has that ever happened? You keep talking wistfully about days gone past and I'm letting you know that they weren't glory days for everyone... So men have to work a little harder now - tough shit.