User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Not virtually all. All. We are trapped within our own minds and perceptions. We have no way of knowing reality exists or whether it is just our imaginations, etc. Even supposed impossibilities are possibilities. Everything is an act of faith in some regard. If to act on faith is absurd then it is useless to act at all or even to not act.To follow this reasoning is something that leads to despair. There is no reason for living. It all is meaningless. So, faith serves a purpose. It gives us reason to exist. Now acting on faith there are commonalities to which we can refer to as facts. We use these facts to reason, to find truth. Yet, they are still influenced by our perceptions. Everything is an act of faith. I live because I so much have faith in the "fact" that I am alive. This is carrying the reasoning to the extreme, but you have to do that with trains of thought don't you. Well, we think we do. The Truth; acting on these common view points, these facts, we attempt to use common reasoning (logic) to produce Truth. There are ways to deduce truth using this commonality, but even that is restricted to your perceptions. So, I believe in my faith, because I have faith in reality (or at least what I believe people to define reality as within their own minds). It all really is rather stupid to continue living at this point. As it is stupid to do anything. There is no right or wrong because there is no real truth. How's that for reasoning?
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    OMNi

You sound like a nihilist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

I might sound as such but I'm not. Not even close.
    - Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well again considering we're talking about a Christian holiday here, I think it's fair to say that Christians should have their way on this one. Just like Muslims should have their way concerning their holidays, Jews with theirs, pagans, and so on.
    I agree with you Peguy. I don't like state enforced secularism, since it too violates the "wall of seperation between church and state" that Jefferson envisioned.

But I'm wondering if Christ ever espoused the exclusion of gays and lesbians from his worship? Quite frankly, it seems very un-Christ-like.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I agree with you Peguy. I don't like state enforced secularism, since it too violates the "wall of seperation between church and state" that Jefferson envisioned.

But I'm wondering if Christ ever espoused the exclusion of gays and lesbians from his worship? Quite frankly, it seems very un-Christ-like.
    The idea is that if you are truly worshiping Him and believing, then you are following the teachings of the bible. Homosexuality is directly contrary to the Bible. In Jewish culture it was a sin. Just because Christ loves everyone or teaches love doesn't mean that He can't disagree or not like what they do. Actions are different than people. Look at His reaction of righteous anger to the money changers in the temple. He didn't hate them. He hated that they we using the house of God (His house) for things that it was prohibited to be used for.
    - Caleb

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

And the odds say that there was a gay Apostle or two.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, they're called "heretics". After all Orthodox means "right thinking".
    If they're so right thinking, why has their thinking changed so much over the years? That would imply that at one point, they were not right thinking, and thus, heretics.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And the odds say that there was a gay Apostle or two.
    Odds according to who's statistics and from what time frame? I'm not even sure if this deserves a response.. Do you even have any idea what Jewish and Hebrew culture was like at that point in time?
    - Caleb

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Odds according to who's statistics and from what time frame? I'm not even sure if this deserves a response.. Do you even have any idea what Jewish and Hebrew culture was like at that point in time?
    Gay, not a practicing homosexual. There were lots of men who were attracted to men back then, as now. All over the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Gay, not a practicing homosexual. There were lots of men who were attracted to men back then, as now. All over the world.
    There is no way to know. Specifically sodomy is referred to as a sin in the Bible. I just thought I would clarify that.
    - Caleb