User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Did you pull that out of a cereal box or a fortune cookie? I guess it depends on which one you believe will be the right answer.
    All religions are bs. Or has there finally been empirical evidence revealed? If you want to believe myths and fairytales like Jesus, go ahead. Don't state they're actually true without proof. Of which none has ever been given.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    All religions are bs. Or has there finally been empirical evidence revealed? If you want to believe myths and fairytales like Jesus, go ahead. Don't state they're actually true without proof. Of which none has ever been given.
    I guess it was the cereal box. I got the same statement from a box of fruitloops 10 years ago.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

To be fair, it's in God's best interest to not reveal himself. Religion wouldn't be a choice anymore. It would just be The Way.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    I guess it was the cereal box. I got the same statement from a box of fruitloops 10 years ago.

No logical defense? Just like all the rest.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

No logical defense? Just like all the rest.
    I don't think that religion is something that can be proved logically. For some people, that's enough. Logic doesn't explain everything in the universe either. Because at the root of it, logic's explanation for life was "It all happened by chance."

That's not a very satisfying answer either.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I don't think that religion is something that can be proved logically. For some people, that's enough. Logic doesn't explain everything in the universe either. Because at the root of it, logic's explanation for life was "It all happened by chance."

That's not a very satisfying answer either.
    Belief in religions isn't really the issue. It's assigning value that one interpretation is better than the other, when none of them can be proven in the first place. People can believe whatever they like, but stating other denominations are less, has no basis in truth.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's not a myth that Jesus existed. I mean, we have pretty good documentation of that. Whether or not he was God is obviously questionable.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Sniffles

[Peguy] finds conservative and liberal interpretations of those same religions, to be heresy.
    That's very much so, since both conservatives and liberals have the bad habit of preaching only half-truths; and as St. Thomas Aquinas noted a half-truth is more dangerous than a lie.

And the half-truths both sides present are from opposite directions. Cardinal Fulton Sheen made a wonderful observation relating to the Cold War that applies in this situation as well: the Soviets have the love but not the truth. By contrast, the West has the truth but not the love.

Same thing here: Liberals have the love but not the truth. Conservatives have the truth but not the love. The important thing is to have both.

Liberals are certainly right in stressing that compassion and understanding should be shown towards people of homosexual inclinations. However, they're wrong in saying that homosexuality is not a sin, and I have no patience for the type of sophistry employed in order to support such a position. I deal with that issue to a considerable extent here.

BTW, from the same thread I'll cite what Kiddo, a homosexual member, had to say as well:
    I give Peguy a hard time for his selective perception and spin, but I have only the greatest admiration for the respect and tolerance he shows to individuals who hold different beliefs than him. We may seldom agree when it comes to theology, but I consider him a true Christian by all accounts.

I've encountered so called Christians who have argued that because of my sexual orientation alone that I deserve to be killed, that I'm a sociopath, that I'm a disease on society, that I must be a whore, that I must have been molested by an older male when I was a child, that I must have some sort of genetic or developmental disorder, that I immoral and destined for hell, and so many other wonderful things.

Peguy, by comparison, is a breath of fresh air, and while I have come to detest his religion for some of the fruits it has born, I in no way think any less of him for believing in it. I goad him with literalism simply because it is nice to be reminded that some Christians still remember to love their neighbors.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post485557
    Which of course brings me to the conservative side of the aisle. They're right in stressing that homosexuality is indeed a sin, and thus against God's will. However, they seem to forget that one is to be compassionate towards sinners. Remember: let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I further elaborate upon this here, in response to Night's questions as to my attitudes on homosexuality. As I stated, homosexuals are not sub-humans, they're humans like anybody else but with their own particular issues and struggles. As Christians, we should be considerate of that as we try to bring them closer to God. And of course be forgiving when they stumble along the way; as we all do on our own journey(me included).

So it's not homosexuals per se that are my problem. It's rather the politicisation of homosexuality that concerns me. That's what I mean when I refer to the "Homosexual agenda".

One thing that really irritates me is when those with views sympathetic to Gay Rights think it's perfectly alright to piss and shit on the perspectives of those who hold contrary views. This was clearly seen within this and other threads. And that was the point behind my infamous bitting sarcastic rant on the issue.

And yet in all honesty, you same people turn around and condemn the other side for doing the exact same thing. No doubt in many ways they do, as my citation from Kiddo shows, but one should remember the truth of judge not let thee be judged.

I don't mind that people support gay marriage if they can actually argue in a coherent and civil manner. To be perfectly honest, the arguments made by both sides are for the most part nonsensical bullshit, and I say this as somebody against gay marriage. That's a major reason why I usually choose to stay away from the topic as much as possible; because people just cannot act like mature adults when debating the issue. And I'm still puzzled as to why homosexuality is the issue that would raise such behavior in people.

As for you 01011010; you can claim all you want about me being a bigot and posting tripe on this forum. Yet it's quite clear from your own behavior who the real bigot is here.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Same thing here: Liberals have the love but not the truth. Conservatives have the truth but not the love. The important thing is to have both.

That's a major reason why I usually choose to stay away from the topic as much as possible; because people just cannot act like mature adults when debating the issue. And I'm still puzzled as to why homosexuality is the issue that would raise such behavior in people.

As for you 01011010; you can claim all you want about me being a bigot and posting tripe on this forum. Yet it's quite clear from your own behavior who the real bigot is here.
    You have no empirical or logical basis to back up this story telling, you call religion. If anything, religion has made the fight for gay rights political. Church and state should be separate. period.

You've posted in almost every gay thread on this forum, ever since your so called "sarcastic" tirade against gay rights. How are you avoiding the subject when you willingly put yourself in those discussions?

How is the conservative religious view, truth? Outdated mores, man-made traditions, and fiction aplenty. Where is the truth?

MBTI
    ESFJ

You have no empirical or logical basis to back up this story telling, you call religion. If anything, religion has made the fight for gay rights political. Church and state should be separate. period.

You've posted in almost every gay thread on this forum, ever since your so called "sarcastic" tirade against gay rights. How are you avoiding the subject when you willingly put yourself in those discussions?

How is the conservative religious view, truth? Outdated mores, man-made traditions, and fiction aplenty. Where is the truth?

We don't have a complete separation of religion and state in the U.S. You've read the U.S. Constitution. You know this.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"