User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Why would God make so many things enjoyable if we weren't supposed to do them? Sex (all orifices), eating bacon and shellfish, the list goes on. . .
    Well from a Catholic perspective, those things are not necessarily bad in themselves if done responsibly(like sex). However, you're presupposing that hedonism is the basis of human existence.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well from a Catholic perspective, those things are not necessarily bad in themselves if done responsibly(like sex). However, you're presupposing that hedonism is the basis of human existence.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I am saying that making things enjoyable is a silly way to get people not to do them. That is a far cry from saying that we are hedonists by nature.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

My guess is that when people do things like these, they are intentionally watering down the religion's positions. They are doing this because the religion has major cutlural impact, and if you don't want your culture to be bigoted against gays for instance, you can change that to some extent by acception them in light of the dominant religion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Why would God make so many things enjoyable if we weren't supposed to do them? Sex (all orifices), eating bacon and shellfish, the list goes on. . .
    Itís called temptation, my brother. Godís test to see if youíll let the serpent into the garden and turn it into a cesspool. And make no mistake, homosexuality is the root of all sin and evil (tasty as that root may be for some). Donít worry about the little sins, just concentrate on keeping that orifice nice and tight and youíll be fine.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Well all I got to say (at the moment) is that Easter is definately not a place for throwing out your political views (ideological politicking). If people are interested in your message, you don't need to steal a captive audience, and if the people didn't come to see you, they most likely don't want to hear you.

Celabrate the Holiday and what it stands for, and don't turn it into a campaign, politics can take a break for a day.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well again considering we're talking about a Christian holiday here, I think it's fair to say that Christians should have their way on this one. Just like Muslims should have their way concerning their holidays, Jews with theirs, pagans, and so on.
    This is true, but not everyone is part of an orthodox religious branch. The moderate and liberal branches, are allowed to celebrate it in their way too.

Obama belonged to a church that accepted gays and promoted their rights. So, his way of celebrating Christian Easter is inviting gays from all over the country. That doesn't invalidate his branch of Christian beliefs.

My friend's mom is the pastor of a liberal Catholic church. Not only do they accept gays, but they believe they should be able to marry. Not everyone is fundamentalist slant. Nor will all Christians be offended by Obama's action, because there are far more liberal denominations in religion than the ultra conservative ones.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Itís called temptation, my brother. Godís test to see if youíll let the serpent into the garden and turn it into a cesspool. And make no mistake, homosexuality is the root of all sin and evil (tasty as that root may be for some). Donít worry about the little sins, just concentrate on keeping that orifice nice and tight and youíll be fine.
    Mine is, but there are a few female ones I've loosened a bit, and I don't feel bad about it one bit.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Celabrate the Holiday and what it stands for, and don't turn it into a campaign, politics can take a break for a day.
    This is true. And this logic also applies to when Republicans misrepresent religious beliefs to serve their own political ends.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    This is true, but not everyone is part of an orthodox religious branch.
    Yes, they're called "heretics". After all Orthodox means "right thinking".

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I agree. Most religious people want it their way or no way at all. For most deeply religious people, there is no thinking outside the box. If anyone is unsure, just check out peguy's anal reply above.
    Did you even read what he wrote? He said most Christians aren't what you said they were. Yet you agreed with him.