User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Do you even know what Easter is actually about?
    I said nothing about Easter. I just told the people who are "Conservative" (i.e. over the top religious) to get over themselves - they no longer have the right to ban certain people / families from the festivities that we celebrate in this nation. Obama is trying to be open to all - I don't see a problem with that, and I don't see why conservatives should either, unless they're being bigots. Most Christians aren't bigots, and I'm not saying most Conservatives are either.

However, for Christians, Easter is sometimes celebrated as the day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. However, for the rest of us, and to be honest, most Christians as well, it's about finding pastel-colored eggs hidden by a giant bunny, and a lot of candy, and going to Church on Sunday since you hadn't been since last Easter.

So my main point was that people shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't like it when people discriminate against others based on sexuality, or on any other characteristic that others cannot or should not be forced to change. I'd love it if Obama invited Muslims and Jews to an event like this, to be honest. Easter, just like every other holiday that was originally Christian, no longer belongs to just the Christians.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I said nothing about Easter. I just told the people who are "Conservative" (i.e. over the top religious) to get over themselves - they no longer have the right to ban certain people / families from the festivities that we celebrate in this nation. Obama is trying to be open to all - I don't see a problem with that, and I don't see why conservatives should either, unless they're being bigots. Most Christians aren't bigots, and I'm not saying most Conservatives are either.

However, for Christians, Easter is sometimes celebrated as the day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. However, for the rest of us, and to be honest, most Christians as well, it's about finding pastel-colored eggs hidden by a giant bunny, and a lot of candy, and going to Church on Sunday since you hadn't been since last Easter.

So my main point was that people shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't like it when people discriminate against others based on sexuality, or on any other characteristic that others cannot or should not be forced to change. I'd love it if Obama invited Muslims and Jews to an event like this, to be honest. Easter, just like every other holiday that was originally Christian, no longer belongs to just the Christians.
    It no longer belongs to the Chistians because the ones who took it over have no imagination. At least have the imagination to rename the holiday.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's funny to me that the holiest day of the year for Christians is such a goofy celebration.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INxJ

Eh. Some Christians are fond of re-writing history. It was originally Jewish, with a Pagan influence. I doubt the Jews would want to claim it for obvious reasons. lol

Pagan Origins

Easter, a Christian festival, embodies many pre-Christian traditions. The origin of its name is unknown. Scholars, however, accepting the derivation proposed by the 8th-century English scholar St. Bede, believe it probably comes from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon name of a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility, to whom was dedicated a month corresponding to April. Her festival was celebrated on the day of the vernal equinox; traditions associated with the festival survive in the Easter rabbit, a symbol of fertility, and in colored easter eggs, originally painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring, and used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts.

Such festivals, and the stories and legends that explain their origin, were common in ancient religions. A Greek legend tells of the return of Persephone, daughter of Demeter, goddess of the earth, from the underworld to the light of day; her return symbolized to the ancient Greeks the resurrection of life in the spring after the desolation of winter. Many ancient peoples shared similar legends. The Phrygians believed that their omnipotent deity went to sleep at the time of the winter solstice, and they performed ceremonies with music and dancing at the spring equinox to awaken him.

The Christian festival of Easter probably embodies a number of converging traditions; most scholars emphasize the original relation of Easter to the Jewish festival of Passover, or Pesach, from which is derived Pasch, another name for Easter. The early Christians, many of whom were of Jewish origin, were brought up in the Hebrew tradition and regarded Easter as a new feature of the Passover festival, a commemoration of the advent of the Messiah as foretold by the prophets.

Pagan Origins of Easter - History.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's funny to me that the holiest day of the year for Christians is such a goofy celebration.
    Not in Europe
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ESFJ

And Christmas is near Saturnalia. We know why we celebrate Christmas, though.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Not in Europe

It's not silly, or it's not the holiest day of the year?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oestara, Eostre (pronounced E-oast-ra) was the Anglo-Saxon goddess of the dawn, from whom "East" (where the sun rises) and "Easter" got its name - as the fertility goddess of the Northern European peoples, her legend was manipulated by the invading Romans - newly Christianized, they merged Eostre's spring legend to coincide with the time of Christ's resurrection. She is also goddess Ostara, the maiden, in German mythology, celebrated when night and day are equal and balanced (the spring equinox for the northern hemisphere). Interestingly, the word "estrus" (referring to an animal in heat) is also derived from Eostra as her consort was a rabbit with an extraordinarily high libido! According to legend, Eostre became angry with the rabbit and cast it into the heavens. Eostre gave Lepus the gift of laying eggs once a year, which, combined with the symbolism of new life (Christ's resurrection), is why we have a modern day myth of "Easter Bunny" delivering Easter eggs to children.

Welcome to Avebury Circular On-line

Whatever the holiday signifies or is supposed to signify, I'm glad children of gay parents are not being excluded.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's not silly, or it's not the holiest day of the year?
    exactly

Sniffles

I said nothing about Easter.
    That's irrelevant since the topic of this thread is about Easter.

I just told the people who are "Conservative" (i.e. over the top religious) to get over themselves - they no longer have the right to ban certain people / families from the festivities that we celebrate in this nation.
    Easter is a religious holiday, so thus telling religious people to "get over themselves" is already a non-starter here.

Obama is trying to be open to all - I don't see a problem with that, and I don't see why conservatives should either, unless they're being bigots.
    Lions, and Tigers, and Bigots! Oh, My!

Since we've already established Easter now as a religious(ie Christian) holiday, and it goes without saying that homosexuality is considered a grave sin against God by many Christian denominations - well you make the connection.

However, for Christians, Easter is sometimes celebrated as the day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion.
    Christ's resurrection is the very point of Easter. Without Christ's resurrection, there is no such thing as Easter. Just like without Christ's birth, there is no such thing as Christmas.

However, for the rest of us, and to be honest, most Christians as well, it's about finding pastel-colored eggs hidden by a giant bunny, and a lot of candy, and going to Church on Sunday since you hadn't been since last Easter.
    Easter is about Christ's resurrection, irregardless how people may celebrate the day.

So my main point was that people shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't like it when people discriminate against others based on sexuality, or on any other characteristic that others cannot or should not be forced to change.

I'd love it if Obama invited Muslims and Jews to an event like this, to be honest.
    He could, but that would raise several issues on the part of Muslims and Jews concerning their own faiths and their attitudes towards Christ. Neither Jews nor Muslims recognise Jesus as the Messiah, and at least Jews deny his resurrection. Muslims, if I recall correctly, believe that Jesus escaped from the Crucifixtion.

If one wishes to invite Jews and Muslims to participate in an Easter celebration, your best best to actually strongly affirm the Christian origins of the holiday while reaching out to peoples of other faiths. That's the difference between true ecunemism and false ecunemism.

Easter, just like every other holiday that was originally Christian, no longer belongs to just the Christians.
    In other words, it's been devalued in order to serve a vague watered-down sense of civil religion. Not impressive.