User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am going to have to go with Peguy here. There are portions of the Jewish community that are very wary of Obama and his administration. This, like everything that White Houses do, was a calculated political photo-op. Obama is not an exception. People need to figure that out.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'll say again: I'm not the one claiming that Obama is educating an ignorant world about the existence of the Jewish faith; or that this event is a major epoch-making event that'll shake the foundations of the world for generations to come.

You OTOH seem to actually believe this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This, like everything that White Houses do, was a calculated political photo-op. Obama is not an exception. People need to figure that out.
    Everything is calculated. Again, that doesn't negate that he's showing them in a positive light. Therefore, having a Seder in the White House for the first time won't lose it's message to the average person.

I also think many people look up to him, and will take what he says and does into consideration. I never said it was earth shattering, or that it would affect generations to come. That's you exaggerating, like always.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Is it just me, or are they doing it wrong?

Whatever, it's a gesture.

For what it's worth, though, Passover is a more important holiday than Hanukah. It's also a much longer ceremony. Have fun, Obama.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Everything is calculated. Again, that doesn't negate that he's showing them in a positive light. Therefore, having a Seder in the White House for the first time won't lose it's message to the average person.
    I'm sure if you ask the average person, odds are they wouldn't care.

I also think many people look up to him, and will take what he says and does into consideration.
    This is true of any president or for that matter any political leader in history. You have yet to establish the actual significance of this event.

I never said it was earth shattering, or that it would affect generations to come. That's you exaggerating, like always.
    For the reading pleasure of the gallery, the exact words 01011010 has stated in this very thread:
    It's a really nice gesture. I'm beginning to believe all that NF stuff they say about him.
    Thanks to Obama, more people may know about Jews.
    He's stated many times that it's one of his goals to influence a more accepting America. Remember his inauguration speech? Every ethnicity and religion is important to him. Many people watched that and received his message. Now, he's is following through with his actions. They speak louder than words, and he will continue this throughout his presidency.
    That doesn't negate that the message will still be put out there. Nor does it invalidate it's importance.
    Are you now denying making these remarks, which you just made today?

MBTI
    INxJ

Are you now denying making these remarks, which you just made today?
    Scale back on the Ni. You're still projecting.

All that is stated, is that I think what he's doing is great. Second, I think he will continue to back up his statements about promoting minorities with action, throughout his presidency.

That is neither stating it's earth shattering, or that it will influence generations. Just the time he is in office.

As for average people, that really isn't for you to decide. This thread is a good example. There will be more non-Jews posting congratulations, due to the demographics of this forum.

Sniffles

All that is stated, is that I think what he's doing is great. Second, I think he will continue to back up his statements about promoting minorities with action, throughout his presidency.
    Jews have been a significant minority within America for generations. So Obama is not really breaking new grounds here, despite all the hype which you clearly believe.

As for average people, that really isn't for you to decide.
    I haven't decided anything for anybody else.

MBTI
    ENFJ

How many Jews are going to be there?

I can imagine it'd be very awkward with just goyim.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    How many Jews are going to be there?

I can imagine it'd be very awkward with just goyim.
    Michelle Obama's cousin is a Rabbi. It stated just friends and family. Supposedly any further info is private.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Michelle Obama's cousin is a Rabbi. It stated just friends and family. Supposedly any further info is private.
    Ah.

Because I wouldn't want it to end up like my middle school's production of Fiddler on the Roof or anything like that, because, for some reason, that was the first thing that came to mind.