User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    You're actually going to address the OP now? As for actual toddlers, it's the parent's fault. They're abusing their children on a psychological, emotional, and physical level.
    I'd say until around age 17, a child's habits are largely affected by their family and the people around them. There are always exceptions, but this is generally the case.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Umm, yeah... they are.

Btw, I don't actually care what fat adults do, but I really don't want to get saddled with the burden...as a tax payer...with the aftermath of their decisions. Billions are spent each year on health care for these people and an awful lot of it is coming from the government to which we pay our taxes. I also don't think it's terribly fair to do this to children. Would we be so glib if it were alcohol, drugs, or tobacco these individuals were feeding their children?
    So basically you could care less about the holistic well-being of your fellow countrymen, it's all about the $. In that case, imagine how much more productive these people would be if they weren't made to feel like the scum of the earth their whole lives?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Logical fallacy.

Babies and toddlers are dependent on their parents for food and guidance. For obvious reasons, adults are responsible for themselves and all their actions.
    You are holding them responsible for the track their parents put them on as a child, I'd say any effort to go against that tide of influence is anything but lazy.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFJ

At my high school, there are still drink/snack machines, but they are phasing most everything out next year, and they've replaced all the sodas with sugar-free stuff. A lot of the students are complaining that it's their life, and they should be able to eat what they want. It also doesn't help that in the lunch lines, if you use a lunch account, the school stores all the data of what you're eating and makes it available to parents online. They say it's tyrannical.

I don't get this, though. I mean, school lunches are horrible for you even if they're supposedly 'healthy' things because of the way they're stored and prepared. In a school lunch, there's often 1,400-2,000 calories. If I bought a bag of chips and a coke for lunch, I'd maybe have, what, 400? 500? And this is munching on snack foods that are also horrible for me.

At school, they're not improving choices, they're just giving you less of them.

All I hear is everything is bad for me. I'm starting to think that it'd be a better idea if I just grazed on the lawn outside instead.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post

So basically you could care less about the holistic well-being of your fellow countrymen, it's all about the $. In that case, imagine how much more productive these people would be if they weren't made to feel like the scum of the earth their whole lives?
    Some people are genetically more prone to obesity than others, this is true, though nothing is out of their reach if they work at it, will that mean some work harder than others, yes it does.

But their health to a good extent is something they can control.

Also money is a fair concern for the lay person, it doesn't mean she does or doesn't care about other aspect (money would effect unrelated people the most as well), also being fat doesn't dam your life to unhappy unproductive lives.

MBTI
    ENTJ

it'd be a better idea if I just grazed on the lawn outside instead.
    Heh. Maybe try chewing on some sticks broken off trees, too?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post

Please keep in mind, I asked you what you would do in the first half of that post. If my fellow countrymen don't care about their own well being why would I? You keep talking about how people feel, but you're not offering solutions. Should we just pat them all on the back, tell em it's okay, and let it continue? Again, where does personal responsibility come into the equation? I'm really sorry that you find my response , but I've spent the past two decades raising my children to be active, healthy, productive citizens and I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who choose to bring children into this world but aren't willing to take the time to do the same. I have parents who did not exercise and have had to deal with heart disease, cancer, and diabetes as a result. That's not a life I want for myself or my children and, for the record, my now breastless, diabetic mother will be the first one to tell you that she created the situation she's in and readily admits that it was her own laziness that cost her ten pounds of flesh and a year of her life to chemo.

And now, I will take my old, but healthy ass, to the gym so as to minimize the possibility of meeting the same fate as my mother...

MBTI
    ENTJ

it was her own laziness that cost her ten pounds of flesh and a year of her life to chemo
    Eeeeeeeek.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    also being fat doesn't dam your life to unhappy unproductive lives.
    I bet it makes it a heck of a lot more likely though, living with a very obvious stigma, one which it is still socially acceptable to poke fun at and demonize.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    The study supports/proves the idea, on a basic level, that it is possible to be fat/obese *and* healthy. There is not a 100% direct causal link between obesity and ill health. It is more complex than being fat = ill health.

I guess my personal opinion is that it's not a moral choice.

EDIT: My opinions on extremely obese toddlers/small children are not necessarily reflected above. Children cannot make their own choices and I do believe it's wrong for a parent to make a possibly lifelong lifestyle choice for a toddler. Being obese, regardless of the debate over how unhealthy it is, can't be a fun existence.
    How many legit studies have been done?

I don't think it has anything to do with morals either.

As someone else stated, it takes tax money to pay for welfare etc. On that level, it is public business. It could also be argued that allowing children to become obese is abuse. Which would be a child welfare issue. However, I don't think the government involving itself too much is the answer. People need to take care of themselves.

Too fat to work - Times Online