First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    There's something a little inconsistent about this line of thinking. There's more shame in grazing on healthy food than in the condition created by poor eating habits? The obese person who is "witnessed" eating a healthy, reasonable meal is certainly no more an object of derision than the individual who binges in private but continues to destroy his health.
    Shame is an irrational feeling, I know for a fact that some overweight people see the very act of eating anything (healthy or not) in public as a source of shame. It is due to the near constant flood of hysteria regarding weight and eating.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    If an individual allows a mental block to keep them from taking responsibility for packing on the pounds, they need to be on medication for psychological issues.
    Yes, you're absolutely right! I've already mentioned that I think psychological issues from being overweight could be more damaging to that persons wellbeing than the actual weight itself.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    ...and just doing that has been proven to be effective at long term weight loss and control has it? Interesting.

I have lived with people who have eaten exactly the same as me, exercised the same, basically lived the exact same lifestyle as I did, yet they were much much heavier than I was, yet apparently they are lazier than I am? That makes no sense.
    Actually an overall shift in lifestyle, which includes consistent activity, has proven to be effective ...when it's maintained.

As far as that last part goes, I think you might want to hold off on assuming that these folks had exactly the same lifestyle. People do things behind closed doors that you have no way of knowing about, especially people with food issues. You've done an excellent job of outlining the things that create the very behaviors you're not privy to.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

...and just doing that has been proven to be effective at long term weight loss and control has it? Interesting.

I have lived with people who have eaten exactly the same as me, exercised the same, basically lived the exact same lifestyle as I did, yet they were much much heavier than I was, yet apparently they are lazier than I am? That makes no sense.
    If you're doing nothing it is a start. I never said it was for long term. But there is always a first step towards something.

How can you really know what the people you lived with ate and did? You can't. But you think only extreme measures like quitting your job and hiring a personal trainer is the only way to achieve long term weight control? I can assure you it isn't. I have an issue with someone defending a potentially life threatening health problem by basically saying it's out of the obese person's reach to change because of cost, ridicule, self-control, etc.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Obviously, all people aren't created equally. Overweight people need to set stricter standards for themselves.
    Well then how can "lazy" ever come into consideration, when what they have to do is above and beyond that which is expected of others?

Quinlan's Creations

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    If you're doing nothing it is a start. I never said it was for long term. But there is always a first step towards something.

How can you really know what the people you lived with ate and did? You can't. But you think only extreme measures like quitting your job and hiring a personal trainer is the only way to achieve long term weight control? I can assure you it isn't. I have an issue with someone defending a potentially life threatening health problem by basically saying it's out of the obese person's reach to change because of cost, ridicule, self-control, etc.
    Amen.

Irrational is eating yourself to death, and shame has it's place. If a person does things that are harmful to herself or others, shame is a reasonable response. A parent that disables himself or his children by eating himself into a sickened state ought to be feeling some degree of shame.

Caveat: I am not referring to folks who are carrying around a little extra baggage, I'm talking about the people who create 100-lb toddlers.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well then how can "lazy" ever come into consideration, when what they have to do is above and beyond that which is expected of others?
    So they are being treated unfairly because they have to do more than anyone else? I could quit brushing my teeth and going to the dentist twice a year. I mean, I don't have to and that is much more than many people do. Except I don't want my teeth rotting out and my gums becoming a mass of diseased tissue. So I guess I suck it up and do those things because I care about how I look and my health.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INxJ

If they require more maintenance, it's up to them to take care of it. If they don't, it's laziness for not meeting their own personal requirements for health.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I'm being realistic, this is an issue which can really only be solved on a macro scale, it is human nature to follow the path of least resistance (those on lower incomes are going to be up against much more resistance), while the individual has some control it's unrealistic to expect a wave of individual action to spark out of nowhere.

I am not defending obesity, I am merely suggesting that the way society reacts to it, exasperates it. By making people feel shit about themselves, you are feeding the flames of the problem.

I'm talking about holistic well-being, through hysteria we turn a moderately concerning physiological issue into a massively concerning psychological issue, a psychological issue that actually adds to the physiological problem rather than solves it.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

It is human nature to follow the path of least resistance (those on lower incomes are going to be up against much more resistance), while the individual has some control it's unrealistic to expect a wave of individual action to spark out of nowhere.
    Education could probably be provided, but it's up to the individual people to follow through. Everyone can incorporate some type of changes, regardless of their socio-economic status.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

So they are being treated unfairly because they have to do more than anyone else? I could quit brushing my teeth and going to the dentist twice a year. I mean, I don't have to and that is much more than many people do. Except I don't want my teeth rotting out and my gums becoming a mass of diseased tissue. So I guess I suck it up and do those things because I care about how I look and my health.
    SO you went above and beyond what most people do, good for you, that doesn't make all the rest lazy.

I tend not to expect any more from others than I expect from myself.

Quinlan's Creations