First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    For a lot of people, losing weight would require;

-Quitting their office jobs (-$$$)
    -Hiring a personal trainer (-$$$)
    -Maintaining expensive diets (-$$$)
    -Extensive research and testing into what diet is right for their metabolism (-$$$)
    -Overcoming a lifetime of shame and selfhatred (-$$$)

Where is all this time and money supposed to come from? Some people can get away with the modern western lifestyle without gaining weight, good for them, they probably won the genetic lottery and have a fast metabolism and a wealthy upbringing but presuming it's as easy for everyone is wrong.
    You don't understand basic science.

1. Take responsibility for shoveling excess food into their systems, and eat less of whatever they're currently consuming. (Unless, you think they have no control over their body. Maybe a ghost or demon forced them to insert food into their mouth.)

2. Exercise (That can be done anywhere. No need for a trainer, equipment, or gym.)

Banned

-Extensive research and testing into what diet is right for their metabolism (-$$$)

Where is all this time and money supposed to come from? Some people can get away with the modern western lifestyle without gaining weight, good for them, they probably won the genetic lottery and have a fast metabolism and a wealthy upbringing but presuming it's as easy for everyone is wrong.
    How about not letting our children get into this condition in the first place? As a mother of three (almost 20, 13, and 4) I can tell you it's really not as hard as all that to keep the problem from occurring in the first place. It does require a bit more time and energy than just plopping a child in front of a television with a bag of chips, but anyone who isn't willing to preserve the well-being of his/her children probably should avoid becoming a parent in the first place. It's a basic right. Children should be allowed to get to adulthood without having been poisoned/handicapped as a result of their parents bad habits.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    You don't understand basic science.

1. Take responsibility for shoveling excess food into their systems, and eat less of whatever they're currently consuming. (Unless, you think they have no control over their body. Maybe a ghost or demon forced them to insert food into their mouth.)
    Often this "-Overcoming a lifetime of shame and selfhatred " gets in the way of achieving that ^.

Anyway eatting less often actually contributes to weight gain, your body thinks food is scarce and goes into survival mode then starts converting more of the energy you eat into body fat. Ideally we are supposed to eat small amounts often, yet can you imagine the shame for a fat person to be seen snacking away all day (yet again obesity hysteria actually contributes to the problem)? It's just not an option.

Our bodies aren't just engines, they are also batteries and remarkably good at conserving energy through fat stores, your simplistic view of less energy in, more energy out can be impractical when taking into account the amounts of energy stored in fat.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I should know better by now than to open threads like these.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

You're telling me that something as simple as portion control and parking your car at the far corner of the parking lot is beyond the ability of most people? Walking around the block? Jumping rope? That is well within the ability of "a lot" people.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Ideally we are supposed to eat small amounts often, yet can you imagine the shame for a fat person to be seen snacking away all day (yet again obesity hysteria actually contributes to the problem)? It's just not an option.
    Oh really? I would have a whole lot less of a problem seeing an obese person eating an apple or some veggies and dip than I would an entire bag of Doritos and a 20 oz bottle of fully sugared soda and that is what I see most of the time.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Banned

Anyway eatting less often actually contributes to weight gain, your body thinks food is scarce and goes into survival mode then starts converting more of the energy you eat into body fat. Ideally we are supposed to eat small amounts often, yet can you imagine the shame for a fat person to be seen snacking away all day (yet again obesity hysteria actually contributes to the problem)? It's just not an option.
    There's something a little inconsistent about this line of thinking. There's more shame in grazing on healthy food than in the condition created by poor eating habits? The obese person who is "witnessed" eating a healthy, reasonable meal is certainly no more an object of derision than the individual who binges in private but continues to destroy his health.

Also, eating less is not synonymous with starvation. I spent the better part of my twenties working in the fitness industry and I can tell you that the "broken metabolism" problem occurs a lot less often than the starve-all-day/binge-all-night problem. People can definitely improve their health by a moderate cut in the amount of energy they take in accompanied by an increase in the amount of energy they expend. It really is that simple. Energy in < Energy out. Even the very obese can add a few five or ten minute intervals of activity to their routines without great difficulty.

MBTI
    INxJ

Often this "-Overcoming a lifetime of shame and selfhatred " gets in the way of achieving that ^.

Our bodies aren't just engines, they are also batteries and remarkably good at conserving energy through fat stores, your simplistic view of less energy in, more energy out can be impractical when taking into account the amounts of energy stored in fat.

Kids, teenagers, and young adults have yet to live an entire "lifetime".

If an individual allows a mental block to keep them from taking responsibility for packing on the pounds, they need to be on medication for psychological issues.

Eating less may temporarily cause weight gain. Eventually the body would have to burn it's available fuel.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    You're telling me that something as simple as portion control and parking your car at the far corner of the parking lot is beyond the ability of most people? Walking around the block? Jumping rope? That is well within the ability of "a lot" people.
    ...and just doing that has been proven to be effective at long term weight loss and control has it? Interesting.

I have lived with people who have eaten exactly the same as me, exercised the same, basically lived the exact same lifestyle as I did, yet they were much much heavier than I was, yet apparently they are lazier than I am? That makes no sense.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

...and just doing that has been proven to be effective at long term weight loss and control has it? Interesting.

I have lived with people who have eaten exactly the same as me, exercised the same, basically lived the exact same lifestyle as I did, yet they were much much heavier than I was, yet apparently they are lazier than I am? That makes no sense.
    Portion control alone, has more than proved long term weight loss. In fact, it's the only method that actually works.

Obviously, all people aren't created equally. Overweight people need to set stricter standards for themselves.