User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Lasting_Pain

It is striking to see the statistics. America is gaining weight at an alarming rate. The mere topic still amazes me. What drives people to eat until they become overweight?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Don't worry I won't. I'll just have to keep in mind what I'm dealing with here. I've had plenty of practice dealing with the irrational, I have a four year old remember.

As far as the rest goes, how about starting with the people around you genius? Your own friends, family, children if you have them. Just don't ask me what I'm doing. I walk the walk...you, apparently, are far more interested in talk, talk, talk.
    So me and you, are going to help the people we know lose weght and that is going to solve the problem of obesity on a massive scale? Excellent.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTJ

It definitely sounds reasonable to say that people who choose to behave in ways that are detrimental to their health should not be supported by that state/others. But at the same time, "detrimental" is a damned large category. It's not just smokers and overeaters. The point about driving was, to me, a legitimate one. Getting in a car is a conscious choice to expose oneself to danger. What about sportspeople? I have an effed up back from years of childhood gymnastics (and have had medical procedures paid for by the state due to it), and the injury rates of professional athletes are very high - their joints wear out, they need replacements etc. etc. Where do we propose to draw the line? Should we refuse disability payments to ex athletes because they *chose* to play a sport? I'm not saying it isn't problematic - the idea of being held responsible for the choices of others, but I don't know if it's avoidable, and I do know that I don't morally like the idea of living in a society where we deem certain people worthy of support and others not worthy. I don't like it mostly because it seems like a moral judgement, not a cold logical one. If it is a cold logical one, then shouldn't we penalize ALL conscious, self-harming behaviour? And if the answer is yes, then how the hell would anyone qualify for state support?
    Anyone? Anyone? Honestly, I would love to hear thoughts on these (my thoughts)...
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Some individuals want proof that the majority of obese people don't really eat healthy, and forgo regular exercise. Apparently, obese people became that way solely due to metabolism. Excess consumption and lack of activity had nothing to do with it. The obese eat healthy and within a normal range. Exercise frequently and consistently. Yet, they still can't lose weight.
    That was just an assumption you made because I questioned your evidence. Why blame me for asking for good evidence to support your generalisations? Your generalisation was "most obese people don't exercise" now even if most of them only do a tiny bit of exercise it makes your generalisation false.

Quinlan's Creations

Banned

According to the DSM-IV, a person who suffers from major depressive disorder must either have a depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities consistently for at least a two week period. This mood must represent a change from the person's normal mood; social, occupational, educational or other important functioning must also be negatively impaired by the change in mood. A depressed mood caused by substances (such as drugs, alcohol, medications) or which is part of a general medical condition is not considered to be major depressive disorder. Major depressive disorder cannot be diagnosed if a person has a history of manic, hypomanic, or mixed episodes (e.g., a bipolar disorder) or if [it carries on talking about all the other things to take into account]

What is wrong with you? It says it right there at the top of the paragraph you quoted. Do you really not see that? And the tests that are administered to patients, garnering a subjective account, use exactly the language I described.

You're not right, you're illiterate.

Me and you will not be helping. I will. You'll just sit there and continue to talk.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So even though I'm right, the kind of depression I was talking about is the kind that might prevent them from helping themseleves (severe), so feeling blue is irrelevant.
    Actually, "feeling blue" can happen daily, over the course of a year or longer. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it. Depression is one of the most easily cured illnesses. 80-90% in every category can be treated with success. The issue is many people have a stigma with receiving therapy. So, who knows the number of people that aren't accounted for.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    According to the DSM-IV, a person who suffers from major depressive disorder must either have a depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities consistently for at least a two week period. This mood must represent a change from the person's normal mood; social, occupational, educational or other important functioning must also be negatively impaired by the change in mood. A depressed mood caused by substances (such as drugs, alcohol, medications) or which is part of a general medical condition is not considered to be major depressive disorder. Major depressive disorder cannot be diagnosed if a person has a history of manic, hypomanic, or mixed episodes (e.g., a bipolar disorder) or if [it carries on talking about all the other things to take into account]

What is wrong with you? It says it right there at the top of the paragraph you quoted. Do you really not see that? And the tests that are administered to patients, garnering a subjective account, use exactly the language I described.

You're not right, you're illiterate.

Me and you will not be helping. I will. You'll just sit there and continue to talk.
    Haha, I said "More is taken into account than being blue" the DSM-IV states being blue and then goes on and describes all the other stuff taken into account.

Being blue and depression are not exactly the same, being blue is part of it but there is more than that to take into account, I don't know why you think depression is summed up by being blue for two weeks.

Quinlan's Creations

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Anyone? Anyone? Honestly, I would love to hear thoughts on these (my thoughts)...
    I am not sure if I can answer you. I am not knowledgeable on health care, and people's well-being, but what I can say is that people have tenancy to believe in the classical views where humans are the ones who are absolutely in control of their actions.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Actually, "feeling blue" can happen daily, over the course of a year or longer. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it. Depression is one of the most easily cured illnesses. 80-90% in every category can be treated with success. The issue is many people have a stigma with receiving therapy. So, who knows the number of people that aren't accounted for.
    You're absolutely right, and I wonder how many of those undiagnosed are overweight? Perhaps their untreated depression is hampering their weight loss?

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    That was just an assumption you made because I questioned your evidence. Why blame me for asking for good evidence to support your generalisations? Your generalisation was "most obese people don't exercise" now even if most of them only do a tiny bit of exercise it makes your generalisation false.
    Who is assuming now?

I actually wasn't referring to you. I stated I was done with you on that matter, because you're irrational.