User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm perhaps mistaken but it seemed to me the discussion had expanded in several directions away from obese children. Sorry if you found my post irrelevant.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Tilly, I'm confused too.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's ok, Jeremy gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Show me the journal article from the study that indicated that most obese people don't exercise and I will gladly accept it as evidence.
    Physical Activity Habits and Barriers

Of particular interest: Figure 5, 6, 9. (please note the places where the confidence intervals do not overlap, indicating statistical significance)

Obesity - Relationship between Physical Activity and Diet among African-American Girls

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Sorry, I probably veered it off to the side too. My main point is that people need to realize that there is no one cause for childhood obesity. People often point towards the parents or to individual laziness, but factors can and are at work here that, when combined with the food and lifestyle of the modern day, make it incredibly hard for some to avoid obesity in childhood.

Also, COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but Qre:us, is your Type under your profile in reference to Phantasy Star Online / Universe? I'm a Newman
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Obesity is not an accident. You're making horrible comparisons. Obesity is a self destructive lifestyle choice, which children are apparently being subjected to at an increasing rate.

I have a hard time seeing why you're trying to excuse obesity.
    If you spend enough time in your car, eventually something bad is going to happen. Just as if you eat enough food, eventually something bad will happen. People know the risks when they step into a car, but time and time again they ignore the risk of having a crash, should those people be villified for their mistakes just like the obese? Or should they be educated about driver safety and taking all precautions?

I am not excusing obesity, obesity is a problem to be solved. All I've ever said is that hysteria and finger pointing doesn't solve the problem. I don't support obesity and I don't support hysteria or finger pointing either.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    If you're someone that's poor to the point of having little to no money to spend on food, you are not going to just eat "half a burger" to avoid being fat. These people don't have the time to focus on losing weight - that's the problem. People who are in the lowest social strata of our society are the ones who work full time at a grocery store and part time at another job and have a large family that they're trying to feed. Do you really think they're worried about their weight? They can't be - they don't have time to be.

You might retort along the lines of "Well they should make time" or something to that effect, but you don't know what many of these people go through each and every day just to make it by. At the end of the day, if they go to a restaurant to eat a hamburger, they're not thinking "Well, I need to watch what I'm eating..." They don't have that luxury; they're worried about how they're going to pay for their rent and electricity even though their spouse just lost their job. And the hamburger becomes a momentary relief from the tensions that life brings to the table every day in their lives. If they had the money, they would have time to sit back and reflect on how eating a hamburger might not be the best option, and they should opt for the $4 salad over the $1 double cheeseburger.
    So now the obesity 'epidemic' is because of a decrease in average household income?

It's the obese children, and possibly the rise in obese adults that is the concern.

There will always be 'fat-haters', who complain about individual obese adults, however they are a minority and no 'fat-hater' has revealed themselves in this thread, as of yet.

Individual obese adults generally pay for their extra healthcare if it is their choice, receive support if it truly is genetic or beyond their control (UK anyway), and have made a widely accepted lifestyle choice. There are some who manage to get UK NHS surgery for self caused obesity, that's the only bit most people find a bit iffy. It probably happens in other countries with 'free' healthcare, as well.

Also, COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but Qre:us, is your Type under your profile in reference to Phantasy Star Online / Universe? I'm a Newman
    haha....suffice to say, the answer is, 'no', as I had no idea what you're talking about?!!

It's supposed to mean, Type:cast. Typecast. Like when you get typecasted into a certain role in movies given a certain assumption about you, like say ENTP.

MBTI
    INxJ

It wasn't bad parenting, at least in my opinion. It was partially overconsumption of food, I'll admit to that - I ate more than a lot of people did, but not so much more that I should have gained 40 pounds a year.
    Don't give up. You have your whole life ahead of you.

Keep in mind, some individuals need to put in more effort than others to maintain a normal weight for themselves. The same amount of calories and exercise has never been a "one size fits all" solution. Your genes and body chemistry are unique to you. Don't compare yourself to others. Just figure out what diet and exercise program works best for you.

Over-eating alone, has been known to cause thyroid issues. Not obesity. Just the act of over-eating. It's highly possible the over-consumption at a young age spurred it on. If you're pre-disposed to such issues, it wouldn't take much to set in motion.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    So now the obesity 'epidemic' is because of a decrease in average household income?
    That is one, of many factors involved.

There are many more factors involved than "eat less, exercise more".
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations