User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Funny enough, larger people who exercise are generally healthier than skinny people who do. That's the problem with the general line of thought. If you are healthy, as in active and eat balanced (regardless of calorie intake), then your overall mass is secondary.

The problem is that the easiest way to get large is to have excessive calories - but that's not a very negative thing, overall. What is negative is the lack of nutritional balance (ie: eating large amounts of high calorie but low nutritional value foods) and a lack of exercise. Both of those lead to serious health problems, which can be evidenced by the BMI/size of the person. However, there are lots of people who are just as unhealthy - or worse - but don't show it. The root issue isn't size, it's lifestyle.
    I agree that being obese does not imply one is unhealthy, however being obese does directly cause increased health risks. I'm referring to people with a significant body fat percentage (25+ for men, 32+ for women), I have no idea what that is for young children.

By encouraging a healthier lifestyle, you encourages fat loss. It's very difficult to stay obese if you exercise regularily and eat a balanced diet. Few genetic disorders counteract such an effect.

Let me google that for you Risks of Obesity.
    Let me google that for you Benefits of Obesity.

I'm not going to deny what the majority of studies say, google searches support, and my own doctor and healthcare system recommend.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    You're supposed to be INTJ, where is your critical thinking? You are happily accepting a bunch of possibly unrelated stats cobbled together by some administrator as being directly related to each other, where it states no such thing on the page. If you're going to get on the "emperical evidence" high-horse you better have well referenced sources that show CLEARLY that most obese people don't exercise.
    A statistical analysis of a narrow field of information, isn't going to include irrelevant data. You come across quite insane to suggest one sentence out of the entire article isn't related.

CDC is a legitimate organization. They work for the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services. It's not stats by one person, much less the site tech that probably uploaded the article. It's data collected by an entire team of professionals. Frankly, people don't need doctors and scientists telling them obese people are overweight due to bad habits. It's obvious the majority suffers from lifestyle choices.

Is it really that difficult for you to understand? I find it hard to believe anyone would remain highly irrational in the face of basic science, empirical evidence, common sense, and actually knowing the trends of most obese people and their habits. Yet, here we are.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    A statistical analysis of a narrow field of information, isn't going to include irrelevant data. You come across quite insane to suggest one sentence out of the entire article isn't related.
    It looks like a fact sheet, with stats form a range of different studies, whether each fact is directly related to the other is only assumed never stated. Show me the journal article from the study that indicated that most obese people don't exercise and I will gladly accept it as evidence.

Frankly, people don't need doctors and scientists telling them obese people are overweight due to bad habits. It's obvious the majority suffers from lifestyle choices.
    So now you've shifted from emperical evidence to not needing evidence because it's so obvious?

Is it really that difficult for you to understand? I find it hard to believe one would remain highly irrational in the face of basic science, empirical evidence, common sense, and actually knowing the trends of most obese people and their habits. Yet, here we are.
    Actually it is very rational of me to withhold my judgement on something untill a direct link is shown, like I've already said if you can show me the study that proves that most obese people don't exercise I will happily accept it.

It would be good if you could answer the rest of my questions in my last post.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You're assuming that all fat people are otherwise healthy. What if you have, for example, arthritis in your spine, knees, and feet, which is very painful, and makes even standing up, much less walking, shrieking agony. Because it's difficult to exercise, you begin to gain weight. Then people assume you don't go up and down the stairs instead of taking the elevator because you're lazy -- obvious, because you're overweight. You see how this goes 'round and 'round.

It's easy to say "just exercise," but some people really can't just go walk. It's easy to say "just eat better," but groceries are not readily available in many areas. If you had to take a bus ride for an hour to get to a grocery store just to haul back one or two bags of groceries, would you do it several times a week, or would you just go to McDonald's.

I'm not saying it's humanly impossible in such cases, but it's monstrous inconvenient and more difficult than many would be able to do, to keep in shape, in just those two circumstances. I'm sure there are other such circumstances.

Be compassionate...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I agree that being obese does not imply one is unhealthy, however being obese does directly cause increased health risks.

Driving a car also causes increased health risks, yet I don't see the same hysteria in regards to car drivers.

Disability support for those injured in car accidents? Never! They have consistently risked their health by getting out onto the roads, it's their own damn fault.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Banned

But could there be psychological barriers for them? You've already shown that no one in their right mind would do this to themselves, yet you still have a complete lack of compassion and understanding towards people with these psychological issues. You're not one of those people that say people with derpression just need to "get over it" are you? because you sound like one of those people.
    Often times "get over it" is precisely what is called for, even with depression. We have become a nation of soft, self-indulgent babies, spoiled by greed and gluttony. If a person is truly depressed, as most of have been as some point in our lives, it should behoove her to figure out why she's depressed and make the changes necessary to change that state of mind. What she doesn't need is a pat on the head and cookie.

Well you have made no suggestions whatsoever how to solve the issue, your idea of a solution is to point the finger and say "you're fat, lazy and a burden on society!", you really think that breaking people's self-esteem down to nothing is going to somehow spur them into action? People like YOU are the enablers, with your accusing and hateful attitudes you are feeding the kind of psychology that leads people to these extreme behaviours.
    Okay, now you're just being obtuse. There have been a number of recommendations/suggested throughout this thread. Not agreeing about their efficacy doesn't mean they haven't been made. Health conscious people don't make the obese obese, the obese make themselves and their children obese. I have never, in all the years I trained both the very fat and the very fit, seen a fit person force another fit (or unfit) person into the kind of condition that the people we're discussing are in. That is a patently ridiculous claim.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Driving a car also causes increased health risks, yet I don't see the same hysteria in regards to car drivers.

Disability support for those injured in car accidents? Never! They have consistently risked their health by getting out onto the roads, it's their own damn fault.
    Obesity is not an accident. You're making horrible comparisons. Obesity is a self destructive lifestyle choice, which children are apparently being subjected to at an increasing rate.

I have a hard time seeing why you're trying to excuse obesity.

MBTI
    INxJ

It looks like a fact sheet, with stats form a range of different studies, whether each fact is directly related to the other is only assumed never stated. Show me the journal article from the study that indicated that most obese people don't exercise and I will gladly accept it as evidence.

So now you've shifted from emperical evidence to not needing evidence because it's so obvious?

Actually it is very rational of me to withhold my judgement on something untill a direct link is shown, like I've already said if you can show me the study that proves that most obese people don't exercise I will happily accept it.

It would be good if you could answer the rest of my questions in my last post.
    I have no issue with the data presented. You're the one that doesn't believe most fat people don't exercise or regulate their diet as much as they should. You're on your own.

I haven't shifted. I've already given sufficient info.

2 + 2 = 4 Get it?

Solution:
    Eat Less, Exercise

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

Be compassionate...
    What about compassion for the children?

If you're healthy enough to carry a fetus to term and deliver it, you're healthy enough to walk around the block. Anyone in the condition you're describing should not be having or raising children.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Eat less, exercise = correct On the other hand, being overweight is not equal to lazy, drain on society or any such thing.

We are arguing two different things. If someone is overweight but their kids are not how does that translate? Any time someone makes a point about the way some people are posting about overweight adults its all "but look at the children!"

The way some people are treating overweight people and lumping them into generic stereotypes in this thread is shameful. And it is totally aside from "overweight children"