User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 260

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    The point is you guys are picking easy targets. It's always easy to say someone else should be fixed.

    You could rewrite your posts about anything. Generic "I'm better than.."
    Again, not following the line of thinking. Easy targets? What does that even mean? Obesity is huge problem, mostly for the children who will grow up sick and broken, and, as such, it is a legitimate concern for anyone who will have to deal with the fallout from that damage. This isn't about "I'm better than you...", it's about "why the f*** should it be acceptable for people to abuse their children in this manner?" and "why should society have to carry their weight?" Remember, no one is or has been making fun. Those of us who have expressed a lack of support, have done so because we feel it is both misguided and ill-advised. We've all seen the devastation that accompanies these poor life choices. When you say that it's no big deal or that it's beyond the control of the people suffering, all you do is seal the fate of a society full of future (and current) diabetics, arthritics, heart disease sufferers, and many cancer victims.

    If by better, you mean those of who make a conscious effort to keep our children healthy and are concerned about the problem...fair enough, I'm happy to concede I'm better. I do care and I don't think it's a joke, or an easy target.

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Who in the world would find this funny? This is a serious issue. What kind of human allows this to happen to a child? Graphic, yes. This is reality. This is what fat acceptance is going to enable for future generations. It's abuse. Plain and simple. The truth is hard to swallow. There are no excuses or justifications for this.











  3. #153
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    People aren't railing against the "overweight baby" syndrome. It's against "why don't fat people just stop eating an exercise, those lazy pigs" comments.

    Btw picture two is possibly a healthy breast fed baby. They can get really chunky because of all the healthy breast milk.

    I've never seen a young child that looks like any of those others.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    People aren't railing against the "overweight baby" syndrome. It's against "why don't fat people just stop eating an exercise, those lazy pigs" comments.

    Btw picture two is possibly a healthy breast fed baby. They can get really chunky because of all the healthy breast milk.

    I've never seen a young child that looks like any of those others.
    Sorry, I missed the post containing your first quote. I really don't care about what obese adults do, provided they're not raising children. The "fat" don't phase me one way or the other, that's a personal choice. As far as calling someone a "lazy pig", well that's about as effective as all the ridiculous coddling that's been suggested.

    If that is the result of breastfeeding, mom needs to change her diet. I breastfed all three of my children and, at no point, did they ever look like that. That baby is not healthy. Judging by his position, he is at least old enough to be up and walking, but there is no way that kid is going to be moving anywhere trapped under all that schmaltz.

  5. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    People aren't railing against the "overweight baby" syndrome. It's against "why don't fat people just stop eating an exercise, those lazy pigs" comments.
    Obese adults rarely have a legit reason outside of their control. It's generally true that they eat too much, and don't exercise enough for their particular frame. If they can't afford better food, they need to eat less of what they can buy. They can workout inside their house if they're embarrassed to exercise in public. Those are my answers to the two main excuses given in interviews with these people. They tend to give lazy ass justifications for not changing. There's a reason they're viewed in a certain light.

    Obese adults often raise obese children. That's the crux of the issue. Innocent lives are directly affected by addiction, and lack of taking responsibility for personal health. The kids often end up like their parents with bad habits.

  6. #156
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Most children don't understand the implications of obesity well enough to make the (passive) decision to become obese. So, all that is left is to encourage children to be healthier and help them understand the implications of their lifestyle.

    Extra physical education and diet lessons in school? It does seem strange that an understanding of food and exercise, and their effects on the body aren't seen as important enough to enter school curriculum significantly and early.

    After all, diet and exercise are directly involved with happiness, lifespan, energy levels, relaxation, intelligence, attractiveness and so on. I would have greatly appreciated an understanding of this at an earlier age than I finally achieved it at.

    It's not a short term solution for children under five years of age, but when those children turn into parents it should affect them too. Generally increasing awareness of diet and exercise seems all that can be done otherwise, and plenty of that is happening already.

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Food is fuel
    Exactly. Fuel first, enjoyment second. Most foods that are enjoyable at first can lead to much greater pain in the future, if you aren't wary of their long term, and even short term effects. So, often those who choose, passively or actively, to eat unhealthily aren't even being utilitarian in their choice.

  7. #157
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I'm addressing the category of people with an abnormally high fat percentage. Not people that are naturally built heavier. Outright obesity (over 100lbs+ of fat only) is a self induced extreme. Not an issue of genetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    If they can't afford better food, they need to eat less of what they can buy.
    Doesn't matter, in both cases. Eating less of bad food just hurts you more than eating more of bad food - the issue is in nutritional balance, not only in consumption. And yes, genetics plays a part in "fat generation" through metabolism influences, etc.

    FWIW, I support your position, but your picture of the situation is heavily skewed.

    Let me rephrase it for you;

    Overall gene effects do not change in the space of only a few decades, therefore the recent rise in obesity cannot be related to genetics. The related two explanations is that the net calorie intake has increased as compared to the amount of calorie consumption. The high inheritance also comes from related patterns of behavior, so it's not just the physical part, but also the habits and desire for consumption that is affected.

    That's the real argument - that the trend is clear and only has one explanation. Arguing it from the "why people are large" is much weaker, as there are an awful lot of reasons why people are.

    But as an aside, let me tell you about my own experience with weight - I didn't exercise and was significantly underweight (110-125 pounds @ 6 feet). The doctor I saw eventually put me on an increased calorie diet, and while I started exercising as part of this program. I broke 2000, then 3000 calories, and it had nearly no influence on my weight. What weight I did gain, which might of been none outside of normal variation, was lost the moment I started. It wasn't until I was about 23 or so that my weight began increasing - with no changes to my diet. I now sit at about 155 pounds - and still do not exercise significantly. I also still consume way more calories than I should, still.

    You contrast this with my friend who is on the other end of the scale - including your 'fat scale' . He works out daily... and I use to eat under the table... now we are more even in eating, yet he hasn't lost weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    After all, diet and exercise are directly involved with happiness, lifespan, energy levels, relaxation, intelligence, attractiveness and so on.
    Funny enough, larger people who exercise are generally healthier than skinny people who do. That's the problem with the general line of thought. If you are healthy, as in active and eat balanced (regardless of calorie intake), then your overall mass is secondary.

    The problem is that the easiest way to get large is to have excessive calories - but that's not a very negative thing, overall. What is negative is the lack of nutritional balance (ie: eating large amounts of high calorie but low nutritional value foods) and a lack of exercise. Both of those lead to serious health problems, which can be evidenced by the BMI/size of the person. However, there are lots of people who are just as unhealthy - or worse - but don't show it. The root issue isn't size, it's lifestyle.

  8. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    275

    Default

    I currently live in Riverside, CA. One of the most obese cities in the USA (1/3 obesity rate). A huge contributor to this problem is the the fact that the transportation system is horribly inefficient. Because of this everyone feels the need to own a vehicle. As a matter of fact Riverside is one of the most car-centric cities in the nation.

    What's the morale of the story? Get out of your cars and start walking, playing sports, etc. Raise your activity level; this all starts with being less dependent on your automobile.

  9. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Overall gene effects do not change in the space of only a few decades, therefore the recent rise in obesity cannot be related to genetics. The related two explanations is that the net calorie intake has increased as compared to the amount of calorie consumption. The high inheritance also comes from related patterns of behavior, so it's not just the physical part, but also the habits and desire for consumption that is affected.
    That's exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Laziness and excess calories.


    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    But as an aside, let me tell you about my own experience with weight...

    You contrast this with my friend who is on the other end of the scale - including your 'fat scale' . He works out daily... and I use to eat under the table... now we are more even in eating, yet he hasn't lost weight.
    Endomorph's etc. are all predisposed to certain traits. That's a given. No one is denying there's great variation in what's acceptable as a healthy weight. If your friend is genuinely 100lbs (of pure fat) over his healthy weight range, than he probably has eating habits you're not privy too. Fat percentage is key. Body builders with 3% fat are often obese according to BMI.


    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Funny enough, larger people who exercise are generally healthier than skinny people who do. That's the problem with the general line of thought. If you are healthy, as in active and eat balanced (regardless of calorie intake), then your overall mass is secondary.
    Codswallop.

    Active fat people aren't any healthier than skinny people that exercise the same amount, with a similar diet, that possess no genetic abnormalities.

  10. #160
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Again, all the stats are based on obesity and chronic illness. Everything on the page is compiled data specifically related to that subject. If you're truly not joking, it's highly possible there's a malfunction regarding perception in your brain.
    You're supposed to be INTJ, where is your critical thinking? You are happily accepting a bunch of possibly unrelated stats cobbled together by some administrator as being directly related to each other, where it states no such thing on the page. If you're going to get on the "emperical evidence" high-horse you better have well referenced sources that show CLEARLY that most obese people don't exercise.


    There are NO GENETIC reasons aside from Prader-Willi Syndrome that causes an individual to uncontrollably eat. The fault lies with the obese person. A jacked thyroid and slow metabolism can only account for so much. It's not enough to make someone medically obese, unless they eat an unhealthy amount of excess. Depression and all the other contributing factors aren't a legitimate excuse for staying in that state. Should society coddle and enable drug addicts, alcoholics, and excessive smokers? Obesity stems from an addiction to food. Overcoming it isnt an easy task to accomplish, but it's within an individual's control 9.5 times out of 10.
    But could there be psychological barriers for them? You've already shown that no one in their right mind would do this to themselves, yet you still have a complete lack of compassion and understanding towards people with these psychological issues. You're not one of those people that say people with derpression just need to "get over it" are you? because you sound like one of those people.

    I think the same about everyone that asks for government support, after purposely abusing their body with substances. Feelings have nothing to do with it. Fiscal conservatism and wasted tax money does.

    Well you have made no suggestions whatsoever how to solve the issue, your idea of a solution is to point the finger and say "you're fat, lazy and a burden on society!", you really think that breaking people's self-esteem down to nothing is going to somehow spur them into action? People like YOU are the enablers, with your accusing and hateful attitudes you are feeding the kind of psychology that leads people to these extreme behaviours.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

Similar Threads

  1. 13,000-Year-Old Satellite In Polar Orbit
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM
  2. How many 5 year old could you take in a fight?
    By swordpath in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 03:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO