User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

your resident asshole

You can show me your fancy statistics all you want, but what is it that you're trying to prove? That many Americans are fat? What are you getting at? You're showing the problem, but where's your solution? Was the point of this whole thread for you to complain about fat people and why you dislike them? Please, enlighten me.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

• Despite the proven benefits of physical activity, less than half of American adults in 2007 engaged in enough physical activity to provide health benefits.
    • In 2007, 65% of young people in grades 9–12 did not get the recommended amount of physical activity; 35% watched television for 3 or more hours on the average school day.
    These stats don't seem to be specific to obese people, you were singling out the obese. It would be good to see stats comparing the physical activity of the obese or overweight people compared to the rest of the population.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

Quote:
    Social Security Disability
    If you are obese, you may be entitled to disability payments from the Social Security Administration (SSA). According to the SSA, $77 million are paid monthly to approximately 137,000 persons who met obesity requirements for disability under criteria used prior to May 15, 2000, when a new policy was issued. Most of the people who qualified for benefits under the old policy claimed to have muscle or skeletal complications.

To be paid disability, they would have to have signifigant function reduction based on their muscle or skeletal complications and PROOF that they had this fuction reduction.

We'd have to know:
    why these people are obese?

how obese are we talking?

Is it due to genetic or metabolism abnormalities?

Was any of the damage a side effect of the above mentioned genetic or metabolistic problems?

Is the bone, joint and muscle damage now permanent?

Before we decide that the only reason they are getting disability is they just can't stop shoveling peas to their mouth, we have to know more facts than just what's stated there.

From the numbers quoted there, it seems a minority of all people getting disability, I am thinking these are worst case, unique situations.

It is like with a smoker, if they damage their lungs and get lung disease that disables them, do we abandon them from the system they paid into their whole working lives? What about a person who dieted their whole lives and drank diet soda and gets cancer? Then do we go back and say "you drank the artifical sweetener, you made your own problems?"

More than a quarter of children born in 2004 were never breastfed.
    This is actually an encouraging statistic, 3/4 of children born in 2004 were breastfed to some degree, even in our hectic world.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    You can show me your fancy statistics all you want, but what is it that you're trying to prove? That many Americans are fat? What are you getting at? You're showing the problem, but where's your solution? Was the point of this whole thread for you to complain about fat people and why you dislike them? Please, enlighten me.
    You accused me of stereotyping out of some prejudice or equally ridiculous notion. I provided facts. Nothing more.

The OP, was to show a disturbing trend in parents allowing their own children to become medically obese at such a young age. It's a current event. It's a relevant topic for discussion.

Other people pitched in during the thread claiming being overweight is only an aesthetic issue, but that's obviously not true for the majority. There are many consequences. Least of all, what someone looks like. In fact, I find the appearance to be highly irrelevant.

That seems to sum up most of the exchanges.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    These stats don't seem to be specific to obese people, you were singling out the obese. It would be good to see stats comparing the physical activity of the obese or overweight people compared to the rest of the population.
    The whole page is dedicated to obesity and issues related to it.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    You accused me of stereotyping out of some prejudice or equally ridiculous notion.
    I call 'em as I see 'em.

Also... you said you want to "show the world about this alarming trend" or whatever. Is this not something that the world is aware of? Why not make a thread about solutions instead of focusing on the problems?

heart on fire

The OP, was to show a disturbing trend in parents allowing their own children to become medically obese at such a young age.
    It's a symptom of the world we live in. Processed fattening foods are less expensive and easier to obtain in a time when parent's time and energy (and possibly money) is limited and not everyone has a Martha Stewart sense of organization or a nutritionist's sense of what's best.

It's not as simple as fat = lazy. That was where the arguments started. I don't think many in this thread actually thought more overweight children is a good thing or that it shouldn't be discussed, they just objected to the moralizing tone.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Incorrect.

While impairment is one of two options for obtaining disability, certain levels of obese people can file with a loophole. People in the UK can also file for welfare based on being obese alone.

“Overweight” - BMI 25-29.9
    “Obesity” - BMI of 30.0 or above

NIH Clinical Guidelines recognize three levels of obesity:

• Level I - BMI 30.0-34.9
    • Level II - BMI 35.0-39.9
    • Level III – BMI greater than or equal to 40

In my experience, decision makers are more likely to give significant weight to Levels II and III obesity as a limiting factor in obesity claims. This is especially true for Level III, which is considered “extreme" obesity, and indicates the greatest risk for obesity-related impairments.

NOTE: Though these levels do not correlate with a specific degree of functional loss, decision makers tend to consider that the higher the Level of obesity, the higher the likelihood of associated functional restrictions.
    I often used the factors of Level II, and especially Level III obesity, to justify further reducing the RFC, which sometimes resulted in a medical-vocational allowance. And I also used those levels, especially Level III, to justify equaling a listing. I cannot remember getting a Quality Assurance (QA) return when using that rationale appropriately. Despite what someone else may tell you, consideration of the BMI in obesity cases is important in the Social Security disability evaluation. Therefore, if obesity is a factor in the disability claim, always consider the BMI and its associated level, with its potential impact on function.
    Disability Doc - Examining Social Security Disability - Obesity and Disability

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

The whole page is dedicated to obesity and issues related to it.
    Neither of those stats I quoted said anything about obesity. They seemed to be indicate a lack of physical activity in the overall population, not just the obese.

Some reading for you 010101010;

Obesity and depression

Culture of blame

Lazy Females

The Obesity Paradox

Economic reality of obesity

Genetic causes
    Big girls get more sex
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

your resident asshole

Incorrect.

While impairment is one of two options for obtaining disability, certain levels of obese people with no other complications can file. People in the UK can also file for welfare based on being obese alone.
    Excuse my language, but... how the hell did you get that out of what Heart just said?