User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

So are we shifting away from discussing people who are fat to people who are a drain on government spending?

Oh oh this is an interesting discussion!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think some people might be surprised at the cutoff points for "medical obesity." It's entirely possible to be medically obese and still live a normal life and not draw disability. Hell, in my current job I'm walking about five miles a day, and I'm "medically obese." Too bad I can't do this permanently; they only do a headcount in the US once a decade. Incidentally, I got paid a lot better to sit on my ass all day and write textbooks.

Whenever I take someone to task for this and use myself as an example, they counter with "But I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about people who are seriously obese." Well, guess what? You are talking about me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Why the focus on obesity rather than fitness? Is it because it is more obvious and easily targeted?
    It seems to me that children now are getting less and less opportunities to have a decent amount of fitness. Recesses are being shortened and/or eliminated, gym classes are being cut shorter, many parents don't send their kids outside to get exercise, etc. If you ask me, someone should do something about this. Although, I'm not very good with coming up with ideas. So if anybody has one, go ahead and share it.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Regardless of the why, the problem needs to solved. Yet nobody seems to be willing to do anything about it. Is it truly solely in the hands of the "crazy" parents of these obese kids and we're just here to watch the time bomb ticking away?
    Yup, all agreed - except maybe a bit from here.

I'm not sure anything really needs to be done... or rather, what needs to be done really differs depending on ramifications (health issues are overstated - there is a pretty good argument of causation to being unhealthy -> become fatter) and cause (bad diet is bad diet, but is it a lack of balanced diet or excessive input, and which segment contributes to negative health and by how much?)

The bias against being 'large' also predisposes us to assume negative traits go with being large, so it is very difficult to be objective. In a few parts of the world this bias does not exist and the context is different, so it does matter.

MBTI
    INxJ

Why the focus on obesity rather than fitness? Is it because it is more obvious and easily targeted?
    You think obese people don't know they can walk a bit more, or just exercise in general?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Whenever I take someone to task for this and use myself as an example, they counter with "But I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about people who are seriously obese." Well, guess what? You are talking about me.
    Exactly, perfectly put.

I suppose people prefer it when their spite is directed at some fantasy "slob" than real people they know.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    It seems to me that children now are getting less and less opportunities to have a decent amount of fitness. Recesses are being shortened and/or eliminated, gym classes are being cut shorter, many parents don't send their kids outside to get exercise, etc. If you ask me, someone should do something about this. Although, I'm not very good with coming up with ideas. So if anybody has one, go ahead and share it.
    I agree, DisneyGeek. We had to seek out a school for our daughter that didn't have kids sitting at desks for hours at a time and had a sacrosanct hour-long recess period in the middle of the day.

Incidentally, I'm more worried about handing down the emotional baggage I've built up over years of being overweight and ending up with an anorexic kid than handing down bad eating habits and ending up with a fat kid.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    You think obese people don't know they can walk a bit more, or just exercise in general?
    Why do you assume that obese people don't exercise? The 250 pound woman that I know was active, walking, dancing, housework, traveled. She's not too active now, she's into her eighties, but for thirty years she was as active as I am, at times more so.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I come from a very fat family. They still do things about it, but nonetheless, we're still very fat.

I think there's a difference between just being fat and being fat enough for financial support the way you're talking. My family works very hard, and they don't receive benefits like that. Is this about being obese, or being a drain on society? They're two different things.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

your resident asshole

Obesity is the problem. Diet and fitness is the solution. Now, would you rather rant negatively about something or approach it in a helpful way?

Exactly, perfectly put.

I suppose people prefer it when their spite is directed at some fantasy "slob" than real people they know.
    Exactly.