User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

It's easy to point fingers at obesity but there are many different things people struggle with. It would be easy to say that overweight people should control themselves but I'm sure I could find similar control issues that dont manifest themselves as weight in people who exercise or are naturally thin.

It isn't bad to deal with things and promote healthy choices, it is bad to point fingers at people who have had to deal with issues in their lives.
    Nice. You just said that in way fewer words than I would have. I agree. I am pretty damned lazy - I was almost always late with papers and stuff, due just to laziness, and I still procrastinate whenever possible. It just doesn't show on my ass. Which is lucky for me. But I don't feel comfortable making judgements. We're all flawed in some ways. Overeating is just a very visually visible flaw. My main feeling for obese people is compassion, actually. It's got to suck, hard, to be very fat these days.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

heart on fire

Our society has begun to equate fat with being less active and being less active with moral failing. I know people who weigh fifty pounds more (or more!) than I do who are more energetic and feel better on a daily basis than I do. So am I actually more evil than they are? One of my parents had type one diabetes, the other had type two...so if I get diabetes am I evil?

Also if they don't get cancer, heart disease or diabetes by a certain age (say sixty-five) are they less evil than those obese people who do?

What about skinny people who get cancer, heart disease and diabetes?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I do get really fucking sick and tired of being told this is about laziness. I'm not lazy in any other area of life. I bust ass every single day doing what has to be done. I'm still a fatass. I also get tired of hearing that I don't care about my health. I've shed more tears about my weight and health--and done more about it, time after time--than I care to think about.

Laugh all you like at the naivete of a fatty, but I still think there has to be some underlying physical reason why my energy levels are the way they are and my thin friend's are the way hers are. Her default mode is jittery. Mine is stationary. I have to consciously and continuously struggle against it, while she can't sit still for five minutes.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Our society has begun to equate fat with being less active and being less active with moral failing. I know people who weigh fifty pounds more than I do who are more energetic and feel better on a daily basis than I do. So am I actually more evil than they are?
    There is a difference between fat and obese. Some people are fatter, but their bodies are built for it and they can still be relatively healthy. But obesity is characterized as being in the excess, where you aren't leading a healthy lifestyle.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I don't feel qualified to be answering this without sources in front of me. If you're genuinely interested I do recommend the Campos book - it's hardheaded and fair - he's not on a mission more than he is out to expose other people's missions. I have read a lot about this issue, though, and the general impression I get is that there have been a ton of studies of weight and how it affects health, but the results are often a lot more complex than either reported in the media or easily understood by non-scientists, and there are also complex reasons for spinning these results in a certain way, for certain bodies (governments, weight loss industry, insurance companies etc.)
    Diet and pharm companies make more money off the sick/fat. No doubt.

Obesity even without complications, is enough to claim disability. Tax payers are doling out hard earned cash, to enable these people and their addiction to food. I shouldn't have to support a fat slob being fed with a roof over their head, for actions they deliberately made. They're being taken care of for being lazy. Frankly, they're a burden to society.

Family who are 'too fat to work' say £22,000 worth of benefits is not enough - Telegraph

American Obesity Association - Disability Due to Obesity

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    There is a difference between fat and obese. Some people are fatter, but their bodies are built for it and they can still be relatively healthy. But obesity is characterized as being in the excess, where you aren't leading a healthy lifestyle.
    It's all so relative. I know a woman who has been over 250 pounds for thirty years and she was active and working and contributing to society, she wasn't running any marathons or anything mind you, but she got up and went to work each day and did her job, a real team player. She loved to shop and contributed to the economy. She volunteered for a crisis line on the weekends. She also went dancing.

And another woman who was normal weight and ate healthy foods who was sick not working for years and didn't earn a plug nickle, lived on a strict budget and watched the flies crawl accross the wall wishing she could simply die and stop being a burden.

Who is the greater drain on society?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    But obesity as defined by BMI cannot take into account if you're "built for it".
    Many very healthy professional athletes are obese.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

your resident asshole

It's all so relative. I know a woman who has been over 250 pounds for thirty years and she was active and working and contributing to society, she wasn't running any marathons or anything mind you, but she got up and went to work each day and did her job, a real team player. She loved to shop and contributed to the economy. She volunteered for a crisis line on the weekends. She also went dancing.

And another woman who was normal weight and ate healthy foods who was sick not working for years and didn't earn a plug nickle, lived on a strict budget and watched the flies crawl accross the wall wishing she could simply die and stop being a burden.

Couldn't have said it better.

-------

I, for one, despise fast food. I hate shoving that garbage into my mouth, but I know that sometimes it's the only thing I have time to eat. It's really kind of sad, considering that many parents give their children fast food daily because they don't have time to cook a meal, or because they simply allow their children to. Fast food places may be the root of the cause, but what would we do without them? I know that I wouldn't eat three meals a day every day if it weren't for fast food places. What we should really do is find out a way to make fast food healthier.

MBTI
    INxJ

If it didn't impede her ability to lead a normal life, good for her.

However:

Social Security Disability
    If you are obese, you may be entitled to disability payments from the Social Security Administration (SSA). According to the SSA, $77 million are paid monthly to approximately 137,000 persons who met obesity requirements for disability
    This is a problem, and it's only increasing with time. Genetics can play a role in being overweight, but medical obesity is a deliberate and avoidable action.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Why the focus on obesity rather than fitness? Is it because it is more obvious and easily targeted?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations