User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    Might and might not be different dialects. Yes people do understand eachother, no it's not the same language; why? Different ways of governing and also, different people uphold different qualities in language and thus create new ones as they go.

Read further down.

2. Have you read a map lately? Would four(4) countries use the same language? I know that Finland currently has swedish as their national language (or have they just recently changed to finnish? I am not sure.) but Norway, Denmark ? Oh, and the swedish people in "Skňne" has even gone as far as to register their dialect as a language. I am not sure of what qualifications that needs to be met to qualify as a language but they have.
    That even makes it five(5) languages in four countries. Please read up.
    I know, my nationality is swedish and no, I do not know as much about the US as I know about Sweden/scandinavia but I have no interest in arguing about US or any interest in pursuing knowledge about the US.

Hell, I didn't even want the knowledge about scandinavia but, sigh, school made sure I recieved it.

Let's see... Wikipedia states 23 OFFICIAL languages, not counting the ones unconfirmed yet;
    Languages of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it could've been a typo.

"Skňne" on the other hand is not a country and thus not an official language in the EU.

HAH, off I go and learn new terms. Thanks wildcat.
    Gtzk.
    I try to put this softly. Listen.

The almighty gave us a gift or two.

Knowledge is the greatest treasure of mankind.
    After English, of course.
    The language of Shakespeare and Milton.

Point two.
    A thing is about actuality only.
    The bureaucrats do not count the languages.

In scholarship and in science, the figures of the bureaucrats do not count.
    Official figures is a sham.
    It is a political expediency.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Yes, yes. I got served.

And you didn't put it softly for a minute.

Grrr.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Not knowing what the hell you are voting for (because the people who are supposed to explain the contents to you are lazy and incompetent) is reason enough to reject it.
    I agree, which is why we must have a second referendum.
    Oh, and how dare Ireland (unlike virtually every other EU member) actually leave the decision up to its own citizens, rather than a bunch of oligarchic political parties. Truly, they are a politically primitive people...:rolli:
    All representative democracies bear resemblance to an oligarchy, but the few rule for the many. They always stand accountable to the populace for their political actions.
    I'll take the bait: Why should the decision be taken by the populace, that has no idea what is actually written in the treaty? This is why we have representative democracy. A politician gets paid to read stuff like this and base his vote on the ideology that he is a representative of.

MBTI
    INTJ

There are massive differences between the US and Europe as far as religion goes. Some stats from Wikipedia:

A 2006 CBS News Poll of 899 U.S. adults found that 82% of those surveyed believed in God, while 9% believed in "some other universal spirit or higher power", 8% believed in neither, and 1% were unsure.
    The Eurobarometer Poll 2005 found that, on average, 52% of the citizens of EU member states state that they believe in a god, 27% believe there is some sort of spirit or life Force while 18% do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god or Life Force.
    Furthermore, while 50 % of Americans say religion is important to them in daily life, 10 % in Northern Europe does, 9 % in Western Europe, 20 % in Eastern Europe and 24 % in Southern Europe.

Europe is doing just fine without god, it's the most peaceful continent on Earth. We live in relative harmony, there is no need for Europe to become one nation, and I don't think the European countries have the same need for power as the US. As far as ability to replace the US goes, in a global economy, everyone is interdependent on each other. Do I think Europe is significantly more dependent on the US than the US is on Europe? Not really, I think we are about equally dependent on each other.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang AmadÚ Mozart

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I am puzzled as to why some people rate their petty nationalistic feelings higher than a strong and completely united Europe. Could you explain why?
    Could you explain why you see these feelings as 'petty' and why this is wrong? And are they really nationalistic or is this actually based on culture?
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    There are massive differences between the US and Europe as far as religion goes. Some stats from Wikipedia:

Furthermore, while 50 % of Americans say religion is important to them in daily life, 10 % in Northern Europe does, 9 % in Western Europe, 20 % in Eastern Europe and 24 % in Southern Europe.

Europe is doing just fine without god, it's the most peaceful continent on Earth. We live in relative harmony, there is no need for Europe to become one nation, and I don't think the European countries have the same need for power as the US. As far as ability to replace the US goes, in a global economy, everyone is interdependent on each other. Do I think Europe is significantly more dependent on the US than the US is on Europe? Not really, I think we are about equally dependent on each other.
    I have serious doubts about the validity of those polls. They don't match up with what I've encountered.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Could you explain why you see these feelings as 'petty' and why this is wrong?
    Because ranking increased global political, economic... power and stability lower than something as "ungroundable" as culture isn't sensible. It is horribly destructive and slows down progress in many fields where co-operation for better and faster results is possible.

And are they really nationalistic or is this actually based on culture?
    Nationalism is an expression of national identity. National identity is based on history, culture and language.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have serious doubts about the validity of those polls. They don't match up with what I've encountered.
    And what have you encountered?
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang AmadÚ Mozart

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    And what have you encountered?
    The US isn't as religious as that poll makes it appear.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The US isn't as religious as that poll makes it appear.
    for such a poll, 899 sounds like a pretty small sample, especially when you're trying to gauge all of the United States. You also have to consider that if this is a voluntary response poll, most of the people answering are going to feel strongly one way or the other, and there are a lot of people in the US who are just kinda 'eh'.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge